Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 09:49   #106

Re: Proposed cost increase to transit Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
Yes, It was done for the benefit of the US. That is what every country does. Tell me one thing that England, China, Russia, France, or any other country did, that was not for the expected benefit of their country. Does not matter if we did it for altruistic reasons, the world did benefit from it. Yes we did not do a very nice job with the Indians. We interrupted them from murdering each other and gave them an opportunity to murder Custer. It is just how things were done.
And an example of how things did not need to be done, something to learn from so as to more properly handle issues in the future.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:03   #107

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
Yes, It was done for the benefit of the US. That is what every country does. Tell me one thing that England, China, Russia, France, or any other country did, that was not for the expected benefit of their country. Does not matter if we did it for altruistic reasons, the world did benefit from it. Yes we did not do a very nice job with the Indians. We interrupted them from murdering each other and gave them an opportunity to murder Custer. It is just how things were done.
We have different perspectives on history and morality and I can accept that.

I'll drop by to "borrow" your car soon. [emoji6]

https://youtu.be/GlRQjzltaMQ
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:34   #108

Well, I don’t know about you but I’ll be taking my money elsewhere. I hear the straight of Magellan is nice this time of year.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:56   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Well, I don’t know about you but I’ll be taking my money elsewhere. I hear the straight of Magellan is nice this time of year.
Yes, balmy. Presently 35 Fahrenheit, 2 Celsius, Humidity 68%, and wind 16 mph.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:46   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Yes, balmy. Presently 35 Fahrenheit, 2 Celsius, Humidity 68%, and wind 16 mph.
Versus a short interesting transit thru a 100 year old canal (its fascinating to see it working from the inside) and likely a night moored out on Lake Gatun (the only way you can do that in a cruising boat is by transiting the canal).

You can take in some historic sites along the canal like "Hitler's Crane", Noriega's Prison, and abadonded equipment from the French era.

Do it as a volunteer line handler and you dont have to hassle w paper work or whine about fees!

Pics & videos from past transits:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5tn8ohvsk...QXeoODEaa?dl=0
Old 28-06-2019, 06:40   #111

Boat: Domp 8.60

Does anybody know what a transport overland would cost? For lets say a 40 foot boat.
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 07:44   #112

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milko Berben View Post
Does anybody know what a transport overland would cost? For lets say a 40 foot boat.
Just a guess, but it is not likely to be cheap. You're going to have a haul-out at both ends and use of a mast crane at both ends, and either a lot of DYI or professional help on standing rigging connect and disconnect and final tuning, plus electronics and electrical wiring.

Then finding a truck.

AND, you miss the thrill of seeing that final gate open and a new ocean ahead of you, not to be missed.
Old 28-06-2019, 08:17   #113

Just the haul-out & splash are gonna cost around $500, then there is unstepping/restepping the mast...no yards I know of have a crane so you have to hire one. Last crane truck I hired was $350 and that was a good deal because they were already in Colon (its still a long drive to the marinas, but its 2-3x more if they come from PC). So thats over half of the $1,600 and you are not even on the road yet. Lots of small twisty 2 lane roads from any marina on the Carib coast before you even get to the transistmica highway...which will present its own set of issues. Its not impossible, but neither easy nor inexpensive.

Some people are whinning about the rate increase, but it is still the best value option available by far.
Old 28-06-2019, 08:37   #114

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

If you can't afford the fee, sail around Cape Horn.
The wind is free the trip of a lifetime!
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 08:46   #115

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

I can't believe people who have boats worth 10's of thousands or 100's of thousands of dollars think 2K is expensive. What did you spend on electronics? Having spent a lot of time in and around the canal as those that have been there can attest it's a massive operation. Did you see the cost of the new locks? And dredging the canal? Just saying.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:09   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=Rorzech;2914428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Via SSCA:

Effective January 1, 2020, the Panama Canal will double the minimum charge toll for small vessels, with the lowest new toll starting at $1,600. A public comment period is provided to enable concerned parties to voice their responses. Proposal and tolls of the June 2019 announcement

They say it's because small boats make the locks use more water.
I've never seen them put just small boats in a lock. They're always stuffed in the locks with big ships.
Small boats are like fleas on a cat compared to a big ship when going through the locks.
It's just a money grab ! Not only the money, but the weeks it takes, and the royal PITA of having to put up with stupid rules like they have to come on board and measure your boat with a tape measure . What kind of nonsense is that ?
And having to rent a bunch of junkyard tires to use as bumpers that mark up your boat, never mind if they don't like your cooking (because you have to feed the crew you hire) ,they can order take-out at your expense.
In a few years boaters won't need locks, when they can go around Canada's northwest passage.
Less people will use the Canal and more will go around the horn.
Both Oceans are big enough to stay in either one for that matter. You could spend most of your time cruising the Med.
S/V Delos went around South Africa and it was a fine sail and they had a great time doing it.
If people knew what they had to put up with to go through the canal, they would never bother most of the time.
Also Panama is the lightning capitol of the world. Who wants to be sitting out in the harbour getting blasted by lightning every day for a couple of weeks ?
The list goes on and on. I wouldn't go through the Panama Canal if they paid me $2,000.00 to do it. Just Sayin'.
The amount of of water (rainfall) required is the same for all boats. Only the length X width X depth of the lock is needed. This is the water under the boats. Displacement has nothing to do with it. In the old days, yachts were positioned at the bow and stern of the commercial ships and rode for free. The more vessels you can cram into a lock, the better the efficiency. Making private boats ride without a commercial big daddy paying the fees was a game changer. After the Panamanians took control it became a race for the dollars. My uncle ran the place up till the turn-over and warned of exactly what has transpired.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:35   #117
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

That is unbelievable, when the US controlled the canal, when I went through it in 1986 I payed about $60 as I recall, or it may have been about $160 at max.. my memory is not that clear..if I were faced with that cost I know I would have gone around the horn, the Tierra del fuego route..
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:08   #118

Boat: Nothing yet

We give away the Panama canal but keep Puerto Rico.

Brilliant.
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 11:55   #119

Well,we are also lucky we came through in March 2019
AJ Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 12:00   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, AJ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, Panama, Panama Canal