Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Should there be a Crimes against cruisers forum?
Sticky in Health and safety 2 11.11%
Sticky in general? 3 16.67%
List areas, venezuela, ect? 4 22.22%
List theft, boarding, robbery, piracy, for each area? 12 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2008, 20:32   #1

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Poll "Piracy"

Should there be a sticky for "CRIMES AGAINST CRUISERS" on this site?
Should it be under News and events or health and safety?
Under Crimes should there be a seperate topic for each area?
Please vote.
Old 23-11-2008, 20:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't think it would help the website nor its members. This kind of stuff really does not need its own category. Crime on the water is not a rampant problem. Not like it is ashore. There are plenty of other more pressing things to worry about while on the water.

There are also other websites that cover this problem better than it could be covered here.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 20:42   #3

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
OK.

Answered even before I could post the questions.
Old 02-01-2009, 16:07   #4
cruiser

pirates

I wonder how towing a long length of wire rope behind a boat when persued by pirates , pointing one's stern at them , weaving slightly from side to side to maximise the odds of it being picked up by their prop ,would affect the odds of them being able to continue their persuit, vs the odds of their drifting indefinitely far out to sea with a wrecked engine or tranny,for a final, slow, dry farewell. One would need a lighter breakaway line attaching it to your boat , preferably below the waterline at the stern. One would of course have to be very carefull not to pick it up in one's own prop, For this reason it should only be deployed when being persued.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 17:13   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I wonder how towing a long length of wire rope behind a boat when persued by pirates , pointing one's stern at them , weaving slightly from side to side to maximise the odds of it being picked up by their prop ,would affect the odds of them being able to continue their persuit, vs the odds of their drifting indefinitely far out to sea with a wrecked engine or tranny,for a final, slow, dry farewell. One would need a lighter breakaway line attaching it to your boat , preferably below the waterline at the stern. One would of course have to be very carefull not to pick it up in one's own prop, For this reason it should only be deployed when being persued.
Brent
That is way off topic but hey.........

How would you keep it at "prop level"?

Plus, most all of it occures at anchor.

Could prima cord work?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 17:22   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
And!

The Pirates in the Med use a mother ship and send out launches to intercept their prey.
Old 02-01-2009, 17:44   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Ding Ding David M

But a thread may help keep the anchorages from over crowding

And I like the primer cord idea!

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 18:33   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
What if we missed some reports?
Who would be responsible for accuracy?
Would we report all piracy or just against yachts?
If just yachts - How big is the cut off?

he idea that "someone" should do something is commendable. When it comes down to the "who will do it" it gets more complicated.

As David points out there are resources for this out there already and as CF is not necessarily resourced to go gather factual information I don't think it would be sustainable.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 19:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think the idea that Piracy is a special crime is misleading. At worst it is armed robbery and often it is nothing more than petty theft. I'm not sure there is a difference when it happens to Cruisers. They don't wear eye patches or carry a cutlass.

Criminal activity is where you find it and it serves more people better to think of it in those terms. Cruisers are almost everywhere. Most of the world is not totally safe yet we may travel about. I don't see how a small group of people can track the criminal activity in all places cruisers go let alone provide detailed assurances that we know.

We had a boat at our dock where 100 gallons of gasoline was stolen. Does it matter? It does to the neighbors that lost it. Is it important to a world wide group of cruisers? Probably not. It's the only time in 17 years so it's not a trend. There is no way anyone else could know that except a handful of people that live here.

That's the way crime reported here goes. Nearly none of the facts are verified, and all of the speculation is embellished. Cruisers Forum is not known for accurate reporting of these type of activities. We rely all too heavily on word of mouth and rumors. It's a poor forum for routing out the details of factual events. The same goes for rescues at sea and a host of other topics. It's a limit to the media we work with.

We tend to excel in areas where the information is from personal experiences and the topics can be discussed between members. I've been here a long time and it's what we really are good at. We do seem to get better too. WE expand into many technical areas and connect people with others in far away places. We can't be everything, but we can do what we can. This poll really isn't headed any place positive.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:06   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I think the idea that Piracy is a special crime is misleading. At worst it is armed robbery and often it is nothing more than petty theft. .
I should quote Dan too as he lives in the area.

I read somewhere that most 'piracy' reports are handed round the internet forums for ever. The last confirmed act of piracy (sucessful) against a yacht (something we sail) in the South China Sea (a hot bed! Of Piracy, you dirty minded individual) was 20 years ago!

the stories live long!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I wonder how towing a long length of wire rope behind a boat when persued by pirates ...
... One would of course have to be very carefull not to pick it up in one's own prop, For this reason it should only be deployed when being persued.
Brent
As Brent intimates, one's own boat might be at more risk, than the attacker's.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:32   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'd agree there are other sites with a history or holding piracy records and it makes little sense to duplicate info. But I do think it is worth someone somewhere maintaining a record of criminal activity experienced by cruisers so we all know those places that are best avoided.
JOHN
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Unfortunately one of your options for the poll was not "There should not be any thread". Other threads have cover this over and over again. On one of them, there was a link to an agency website that updates hot spots around the world. Not that I need one with the doom and gloom news reporting this stuff almost daily.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
But I do think it is worth someone somewhere maintaining a record of criminal activity experienced by cruisers so we all know those places that are best avoided.
The concept sounds easier than it is in reality. The global movements and activities of criminal activities at a level of detail required is barely possible with the most organized efforts using all available law enforcement offices and officials.

I think it would also be fair to say that the theory of avoiding places where bad things happen might grow to include any place you may ever want to go or have ever been. With enough history no place can hold to such a standard. Circumstances often find cruisers crossing paths with criminals either by accident or by design by either or both parties. The details of these incidents often have little implication for someone else that may come along at a later date.

When cruising I think you might avail yourself of the various cruiser radio networks set up to share recent information gathered locally. The subjects include weather, politics, social interests, and cautions. What it lacks in completeness is perhaps made up in currency yet still lacks verfied or complete facts.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 18:27   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I think the idea that Piracy is a special crime is misleading. At worst it is armed robbery and often it is nothing more than petty theft. I'm not sure there is a difference when it happens to Cruisers. They don't wear eye patches or carry a cutlass.

Piracy is an interesting word. You take a crime put it on the water and it is piracy. The period from the lae 1600's to mid 1700's is what we most imagine when we think of piracy.

Originally Piracy (privateering) was an interruption of commerce and a seizing of ships and goods of value by government "agents." Later many of these agents started keeping the booty went rogue and were considered pirates and outlaws.

There weren't a lot of private yachts cruising back then. But I doubt an 18 gun pirate ship would have been interested in a beneteau.

Calling a lot of thefts of and on yachts Piracy is simiar to calling an armed robbery terrorism.

You can be a victim of crime in NYC, Los Angeles or in a harbor in the Bahamas. I don't make a lot of distinction and I would venture that if you practice decent security in terms of locking up your boat you have less of a chance of being a victim of crime on the hook than in a suburban home.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy, poll