Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 07:25   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Pirates Get Easy Treatment by US Government

Recently the US Justice department announced that a federal grand Jury had returned indictments charging 13 hijackers of the S/V Quest with piracy and kidnapping, but no murder charges. Neither of the existing indictments carries the death penalty. The piracy charge is simple piracy as defined in Title 18 part 1651 of the US code. This charge carries a life imprisonment term. The pirates clearly could have been charged in addition with violation of Title 18 part 2280 which deals with murder on a US flagged vessel. This statute does provide for the death penalty. So far there is no explanation as to why charges under this statute were not sought.

US jury indicts 14 in fatal pirate attack on yacht - Boston.com

United States Code: Title 18,1651. Piracy under law of nations | LII / Legal Information Institute

United States Code: Title 18,2280. Violence against maritime navigation | LII / Legal Information Institute

One has to wonder if the US government puts a higher value on the life of Somali Pirates or if it puts a lower value on the lives of "rich yachters". Apparently the killing of 4 yachters does not merit even one charge of murder. I guess we can't expect that the US government will charge anyone with murder for killing us as long as it is done on the high seas.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 07:34   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Pirates get easy treatment by US Government

Are we absolutely sure the victims were killed by the pirates and not by "friendly fire"? If not, how do you determine who pulled the trigger? I have no idea if autopsies were performed to determine this so how would we know? I am just playing the devils advocate here but I think it is a valid question.
perchance is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 07:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Are we absolutely sure the victims were killed by the pirates and not by "friendly fire"? If not, how do you determine who pulled the trigger? I have no idea if autopsies were performed to determine this so how would we know? I am just playing the devils advocate here but I think it is a valid question.

The statute does not require that the person pull the trigger, simply participating in a hijacking that results in the death of a person qualifies one for the death penalty. It is similar to the concept of felony murder. If a person dies during the commision of a felony, the person(s) commiting that felony are guilty of murder. It does not even require that the death be a victim of the predicate felony. If multiple people are commiting the felony and one of them dies as a result, then the other people involved in the predicate felony can be charged with murder.
Old 15-03-2011, 07:59   #4

I would think that in the absence of overwhelming evidence the U.S. justice system would have no choice but to follow its own rules. After all the tenet that you are presumed innocent applies to all with the exception of those incarcerated in Guantanamo Bay. I realize that this decision may leave a bitter taste in the mouths of many but that is the price you pay for living in a free and democratic society. I for one wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I have two thoughts on why they might not be charging them with murder.

1. A deal, where the Somalis provide information in return for their lives.

2. A conviction is a forgone conclusion, and they don't want to antagonize the pirates still out there.

Actually, a third, is that they still building up information on the case before coming out with the third charge.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 08:18   #6

Quote:
I would think that in the absence of overwhelming evidence the U.S. justice system would have no choice but to follow their own rules. After all the tenet that you are presumed innocent applies to all with the exception of those incarcerated in Guantanamo Bay. I realize that this decision may leave a bitter taste in mouths of many but that is the price you pay for living in a free and democratic society. I for one wouldn't want it any other way.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Quest was not hijacked by the people caught on board and that the crew was not killed? In a free and democartic society we are supposed to be governed by the rule of law and Title 18, 2280 is the law. I was not at all suggesting any extra judicial detention such as Guantanamo. You might notice I was not complaining about the lack of conviction of the pirates, but the lack of charges. You might also notice that the statute does not require the death penalty but only allows for the possibility. The fact is that under the law these individuals should also be charged with the death of four of their own in addition to the crew of the quest yet they were not charged with any death.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:32   #7

I am not suggesting anything nor am I in any way claiming to have legal knowledge of this particular case. As I said at the outset I am merely playing the devils advocate. Those of you who have a better understanding of the U. S. legal system would be more qualified than I to comment.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

If one more post strays this topic will be shut down. Please stay on topic and respect the rules of the forum.

hummingway is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 08:58   #9

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
I am just playing the devils advocate here but I think it is a valid question.

What was the question?
kenny chaos is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 09:02   #10

Boat: Cal 2-29

Quote:
I would think that in the absence of overwhelming evidence the U.S. justice system would have no choice but to follow its own rules. After all the tenet that you are presumed innocent applies to all with the exception of those incarcerated in Guantanamo Bay. I realize that this decision may leave a bitter taste in the mouths of many but that is the price you pay for living in a free and democratic society. I for one wouldn't want it any other way.
If perchance you had been the victim here, you may have taken a different view.
nylajo is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 09:04   #11

I have written the US Department of Justice and asked why the pirates were not charged under Title 18, 2280. I will share their response assuming I actually get one.
Old 15-03-2011, 09:04   #12

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylajo View Post
I agree; if he was killed, he'd think differently about it.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 09:08   #13
cruiser

Quote:
This post clearly is intended to stir up trouble. I cannot see it in any other light.

Deaths of a ships crew as the result of piracy is murder. Period. End of report.
Noname1 is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 09:09   #14

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

It could be that the pirates who did the murdering were the ones that were found dead. As I remember the incident, there were a couple of dead pirates as well as the crew. Perhaps it has been determined by those who know the details that the remainder of these mutts were not culpable enough to spend the extensive time and money it takes to seek the death penalty. In our prisons they will get clean clothes, a place to sleep, a TV, medical attention, and a safer place than their home country. That's probably why we saw the last one convicted walking out of court with a big smile on his face. Sad.
smurphny is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2011, 09:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylajo View Post
I'll let you know when I get to "The other side".
Closed Thread

Tags
government