Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 08:27   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
There are been multiple reports of fighting in the port Aden going back to early April. 40 people were reported killed when the boat they were fleeing in was hit by artillery rounds. The recent ceasefire to bring in supplies has failed, though at least some supplies seemed to have been delivered, but the fighting continues.

Later,
Dan
er, no; I am not going to keep making responses in response to incorrect postings based upon ???????.........yes, based upon what, specifically?
There have been several deliveries and the port is open. Of course, you might well have more accurate information than the people that actually live there and see what is going on! Random incidents do not make a situation. If it did no one would go to New York, London, Paris etc etc.
I also have not ignored the other marine regions, nor the approaches - but rather have kept to the subject matter. I have also not mentioned parts of the Caribbean, the Malacca Straits, etc etc. The subject matter was the Gulf of Aden. Incidently, the Arabian Gulf / Indian Ocean is a vast place and to find a sail boat there to hijack or hold the crew hostage is a needle in a haystack exercise. The open vastness is actually your friend, not your enemy. It is subjective but I would hazard the bad boys prefer a nice commercial vessel in preference to a small sail boat. That many of the commercial vessels have taken precautions of their own and given the number of patrol boats the whole piracy matter appears to be significantly reduced - exactly how many reports have been filed this year, for example?
At the end of day you should choose your own route and make your own decisions. There are significant numbers of yotties doing this passage all year round and whom do not make a big fuss - they just get on with it. If you want assured safety then dont go sailing. If you want to believe someplace is impossibly dangerous then you'll always find plenty of negative advice. The Red Sea passage is well known for often providing adverse weather conditions, and the piracy issue is still there, just as it is in the Indian Ocean - but it is not guaranteed to be an issue that many shall have one believe. If a sail boat is affected it is the exception these days, not the rule. As for seeing naval ships, we agree that you didn't see them a number of years ago. However, the last year has seen a significant number of naval boats in the Gulf. Right now there is a US flat top with its flotilla in the Gulf. People making postings need to appreciate that old news is exactly that. Issues move on and some people need to do likewise, using appropriate information and judgement.
Many shall have seen the basic test of asking 10 people to look out of a window and then report what they saw. All ten gave different response whilst sharing certain elements. This is human nature.......and how rumours get started and amplified.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 08:38   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

TO BURGE:

I understand your concern about rounding the Cape of Good Hope in that particular boat, but I think you'd find it doable. Here's why:

1) while it is a go-fast boat, it CAN be slowed down to not pound. Sailing more comfortably, as opposed to working for the last 1/8 knot of boat speed is the key. Don't let the boat get to twisting. That's scary, and most likely your family will not enjoy sailing on the edge. Sailing conservatively is the key. Go fast when it's safe.

2) Weather forecasting is much better now than in the days when most of the sailing terror stories for the rounding were written. You can mostly day hop and choose your weather; that is why people are reporting non-eventful roundings now.

3) By the time you get there, you shall have accumulated many ocean miles, which is an interactive process during which you and your crew will improve all their sailiing and weather watching skills, have dealt with some unexpected situations satisfactorily, building confidence, and will be in a better position to do it.

I am sorry to say that I personally would no longer attempt the Red Sea in the present political climate. I think it is hard for us to really "get it" the contempt and hatred some radical Moslems feel for pale skinned "round eyes". The book "Infidel" by Ayan Hirsi Ali really opened my eyes on this issue.

Bulawayo made his trip in a very large catamaran, and was successful with the strategy, but, IMO, the violence and instabilities that lead to more violence are increasing daily, and I think white women are greatly at risk.

Ann
Old 19-05-2015, 08:44   #48

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
There are been multiple reports of fighting in the port Aden going back to early April. 40 people were reported killed when the boat they were fleeing in was hit by artillery rounds. The recent ceasefire to bring in supplies has failed, though at least some supplies seemed to have been delivered, but the fighting continues.

Later,
Dan
Sounds lovely. Perhaps we can invest in a time share while having the local chaps see to the antifouling. Don't forget to bring popcorn…

Or else, there's reality.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 08:49   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
er, no; I am not going to keep making responses in response to incorrect postings based upon ???????.........yes, based upon what, specifically?
There have been several deliveries and the port is open. Of course, you might well have more accurate information than the people that actually live there and see what is going on! Random incidents do not make a situation. If it did no one would go to New York, London, Paris etc etc.
I also have not ignored the other marine regions, nor the approaches - but rather have kept to the subject matter. I have also not mentioned parts of the Caribbean, the Malacca Straits, etc etc. The subject matter was the Gulf of Aden. Incidently, the Arabian Gulf / Indian Ocean is a vast place and to find a sail boat there to hijack or hold the crew hostage is a needle in a haystack exercise. The open vastness is actually your friend, not your enemy. It is subjective but I would hazard the bad boys prefer a nice commercial vessel in preference to a small sail boat. That many of the commercial vessels have taken precautions of their own and given the number of patrol boats the whole piracy matter appears to be significantly reduced - exactly how many reports have been filed this year, for example?
At the end of day you should choose your own route and make your own decisions. There are significant numbers of yotties doing this passage all year round and whom do not make a big fuss - they just get on with it. If you want assured safety then dont go sailing. If you want to believe someplace is impossibly dangerous then you'll always find plenty of negative advice. The Red Sea passage is well known for often providing adverse weather conditions, and the piracy issue is still there, just as it is in the Indian Ocean - but it is not guaranteed to be an issue that many shall have one believe. If a sail boat is affected it is the exception these days, not the rule. As for seeing naval ships, we agree that you didn't see them a number of years ago. However, the last year has seen a significant number of naval boats in the Gulf. Right now there is a US flat top with its flotilla in the Gulf. People making postings need to appreciate that old news is exactly that. Issues move on and some people need to do likewise, using appropriate information and judgement.
Many shall have seen the basic test of asking 10 people to look out of a window and then report what they saw. All ten gave different response whilst sharing certain elements. This is human nature.......and how rumours get started and amplified.
Bulawayo… you mean these people?

Fierce fighting grips Yemen's Aden as residents flee - Al Jazeera English

Really. Give it up on Aden. Your information is out of date and you are currently suggesting a person you do not know to sail into an active war zone, and into a city currently under siege.

And if you are THAT far out on Aden, a city where women and children are currently being incinerated in their homes… I am not really going to be trusting you on the rest of your anecdotal advice. Or your French friend who seems to think that the naval patrols in that region will protect, when they have explicitly stated they will NOT. A swallow doth not a summer make, and there are plenty of farangs riding around in Phuket right now in flip flops with no helmets, on bikes they can't handle, and without even t shirts. But there ya go. Some of them have done it many times. Others are dead. But go on… it'll be fine. Look at that guy there… he's done it. Does it every day!

I think that's really enough now.
Old 19-05-2015, 08:56   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Bulawayo… you mean these people?

Fierce fighting grips Yemen's Aden as residents flee - Al Jazeera English

Really. Give it up on Aden. Your information is out of date and you are currently suggesting a person you do not know to sail into an active war zone, and into a city currently under siege.

And if you are THAT far out on Aden, a city where women and children are currently being incinerated in their homes… I am not really going to be trusting you on the rest of your anecdotal advice. Or your French friend who seems to think that the naval patrols in that region will protect, when they have explicitly stated they will NOT. A swallow doth not a summer make, and there are plenty of farangs riding around in Phuket right now in flip flops with no helmets, on bikes they can't handle, and without even t shirts. But there ya go. Some of them have done it many times. Others are dead. But go on… it'll be fine. Look at that guy there… he's done it. Does it every day!

I think that's really enough now.
You are absolutely correct - the fighting has stopped in Aden itself. I am in daily email contact with people living there, actually in Aden - not relying on the media. As you say - enough of hearing / reading rumours. Not withstanding, you can sail right on passed Aden if someone wishes. Read my postings, I have not recommended any such action: but correcting misinformation shall always upset some. As you said, these people should desist.
Old 19-05-2015, 08:58   #51

Quote:
More great news from Aden. I think I'll book my holiday now! Maybe I can open a brokerage for the yachts of the guys who didn't make it out?

Sheesh.

Yemen crisis: Conditions in Aden are 'terrible', says Anglican bishop | Christian News on Christian Today
Old 19-05-2015, 09:00   #52

Quote:
You are absolutely correct - the fighting has stopped in Aden itself. I am in daily email contact with people living there, actually in Aden - not relying on the media. As you say - enough of hearing / reading rumours. Not withstanding, you can sail right on passed Aden if someone wishes. Read my postings, I have not recommended any such action: but correcting misinformation shall always upset some. As you said, these people should desist.
Saudi-Led Airstrikes Resume in Yemen's Aden After Truce Expires - NBC News
Old 19-05-2015, 09:01   #53

Quote:
Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemen after truce expires | Reuters

Really? Cause, well, y'know, this Reuters report is actually from Aden. Yesterday. But Reuters, no, let's not trust them. They're like… vaccinations aren't they? A conspiracy…
Old 19-05-2015, 09:23   #54

Quote:
Hi Burge, Having read some of the posts I am now convinced how easily some people wish to spread rumours. A French friend has reported that the Gulf is about as safe as it gets thanks to the presence of a US aircraft and its acompanying fleet which is on patrol there. Aden is also NOT controlled by the Houthis, it is a still an open port and this is very unlikely to change. Mark is not up to speed. Regardless, there is no real benefit to stop in Aden itself unless you require fuel. As for the stories of doom and gloom, people trafficking from Somalia to Yemen; this is old news and is no longer correct according to my friends who live in Yemen (particularly Aden). Sana'a is 400km's north of Aden and yes, Sana'a, the capital is under Houthi control and hence the reason the embassies closed.
Naturally you should make your own decisions but we have sailed this route around 8 times (wife says 7) in the past few years and the Red Sea is a good trip, as is going the RSA route. Just please don't give to much credibility to people who rely on internet gossip to dish out advice.
If you accept all the negative advice given in response to your posting you shall see both routes are too dangerous to sail !
Funny that… Reality and all, y'know?
Old 19-05-2015, 09:23   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemen after truce expires | Reuters

Really? Cause, well, y'know, this Reuters report is actually from Aden. Yesterday. But Reuters, no, let's not trust them. They're like… vaccinations aren't they? A conspiracy…
Some need to learn that the media is often not totally upfront. Of course - many simply believe every thing they read, literally.
I have just read that the Houthi's were pushed back this morning, Tuesday. Of course, perhaps you fail to understand that the situation does and can change. Or do you want to hold me responsible for developments that are in progress? I shall find out from my friends this evening what their own situation is. You shall obviously be surprised to know that situations can actually change............... You have the clue in your own posting - '...after truce expires'. Perhaps you failed to note that part?
None the less, the situation in Aden need not necessarily prevent a transit of the Red Sea. If you want to believe that all shipping shall now start to divert around South Africa then feel free to do so. As for the people climbing on the band wagon to criticise, you should also make the effort to contact all the boats that are transitting the Red Sea and tell them of their errors as well.
Old 19-05-2015, 09:30   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Funny that… Reality and all, y'know?
No, actually I don't understand your riddle. I was brought up with the English language.
Old 19-05-2015, 09:32   #57

Quote:
Some need to learn that the media is often not totally upfront. Of course - many simply believe every thing they read, literally.
I have just read that the Houthi's were pushed back this morning, Tuesday. Of course, perhaps you fail to understand that the situation does and can change. Or do you want to hold me responsible for developments that are in progress? I shall find out from my friends this evening what their own situation is. You shall obviously be surprised to know that situations can actually change............... You have the clue in your own posting - '...after truce expires'. Perhaps you failed to note that part?
None the less, the situation in Aden need not necessarily prevent a transit of the Red Sea. If you want to believe that all shipping shall now start to divert around South Africa then feel free to do so. As for the people climbing on the band wagon to criticise, you should also make the effort to contact all the boats that are transitting the Red Sea and tell them of their errors as well.
Are you freaking kidding me? Firstly, I have lived in the middle east, have relatives and friends who still do, and know it pretty well. Second my brother in law was a war correspondent for 25 years, and I am personal friends/acquaintance with the BBC's chief terrorism correspondent, as well as most prominent journos who know the areas in question best. Thirdly you are backpedaling so fast the pedals are hitting your shins and fourth please just give it up.
Old 19-05-2015, 09:34   #58

Quote:
No, actually I don't understand your riddle. I was brought up with the English language.
Well, the obvious fact that the facts of the matter totally contradict what you clearly originally stated and have been shifting around trying to say who knows what since then. I mean… you actually suggested that Reuters is just making ***** up about what is happening in Aden… what? So that it keeps yachties away? What is your issue?
Old 19-05-2015, 09:42   #59

Quote:
I have just read that the Houthi's were pushed back this morning, Tuesday. Of course, perhaps you fail to understand that the situation does and can change.
Or do you want to hold me responsible for developments that are in progress? I shall find out from my friends this evening what their own situation is. You shall obviously be surprised to know that situations can actually change............... You have the clue in your own posting - '...after truce expires'. Perhaps you failed to note that part?
And THIS… I am too gobsmacked to laugh or else would be ROFFLMHO. I mean, that was my whole original point to you when you made the ridiculous observation that the Houthis were NOT in Aden and were "400kms" away. This is a war zone, get it? The whole problem is that it constantly changes and is highly unpredictable, and there you are advising some complete stranger that it's perfectly fine to just sail on in… really, the recklessness of your advice is breathtaking. If someone wants to do that. Fine. Let them. You blithely and in a blatantly misinformed manner suggesting that they should? Not fine by me. Your caveats are ineffective. And your words on this matter, with particular reference to Aden, were and are flat wrong.
Old 19-05-2015, 10:36   #60

Quote:
This is a war zone, get it? The whole problem is that it constantly changes and is highly unpredictable,
Exactly.....not arguable. Nothing else is really relevant IMHO.

Tags
piracy