Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 22:23   #106

Boat: too many
Re: Packing for 4month cruise

Sara,

Your a cruiser, and as such poses the ability to adapt. Even though I liked the black dress story, you have to realize the most common patron of those cruise ships could no more fit into a dress their daughter would wear as your boat could handle the anchor of a cruise ship, but it might bring out the few that could and there you would have found a common denominator.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 22:35   #107
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I hadn't thought about the dress size demographics actually, but you have a good point.

I will have to see how successful I am at making contacts on the forum and then on the boat. Ship, I mean.

It will all work out... And I'll be the one in the silver sheath with crystal sandals for one formal night and the black velvet strapless and black spikes the other night... LOLOLOL... now how often do you get a review of shipwear attire around here that includes velvet and silver and spikes?

Silver maybe in the reflective tape on the foulies and PFD's... and a marlinspike I guess ; -)

Wonder who makes the anchors for those boats...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 22:44   #108

On the container ships we never use the anchor and it shows, rust flakes 1/4" thick on the chain and anchor. Did use it once waiting out a typhoon in a Japan harbor, Kobe I think, dragged all night, something like 158 engine orders. When the hook was deployed, the bosun and deck crew had to wear full face shields as rust flakes and dust engulfed the entire foredeck but after a night of dragging, it all came back up looking new and like gun metal.
Old 03-01-2012, 22:53   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A typhoon in Japan.

That sounds like SO much fun...

I know what a pain anchoring can be in a small cruising yacht (as evidenced by the lengthy and dramatically emotional threads discussing the topic) So I can imagine no one on the big boats wants to drop the anchor ever.

Some guy got in trouble recently by letting aweigh with a big cruise ships anchor. That turned out to be a really BAD idea.

*making a note to self to NOT try and test the holding power of the Millennium's anchor...

Old 03-01-2012, 23:05   #110

I've heard the stories of ships in your area needing to deploy because of not being able to restart the engine in astern and needing to hook in against the currents, glad it never happened to me. If your not aware of our engines, they are direct drive and only have an rpm range of around 35 to 118 rpm, and for astern propulsion you throttle down to engine stop, the engineer changes the valve timing and restarts the engine backwards. I'm sure the cruise ships are all diesel/electric and can rpm all the way down. BTW, my brother is in Aptos and races a Corsair 31 on the bay.
Old 03-01-2012, 23:17   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good point, Here on the Bay there are always large commercial vessels anchored near the shipping channel waiting to be fueled, fed and loaded or unloaded. We have to sail around 'em.

But I am guessing that is an exception. And I have NEVER seen a cruise ship anchored, They just pull up to the cruise pier near pier 39 and dock. It would be kinda of cool to be leaving from the city, but we launch from Vancouver instead.

Where does your brother race out of? Aptos is south, really by santa cruz. The bay is a bit of a trek and far north enough to get into a race would be quite a drive!

Old 03-01-2012, 23:31   #112

He races locally, plus the bay and San Diego where I have joined him. Your doing great on the Roll Call for your cruise, I'll leave you alone on that one.
Old 03-01-2012, 23:58   #113

This is when he had the F28 and was an easy tow to Tahoe where he has a cabin at North Shore, brother and sis-in-law.

The Tahoe Corsair crowd

I met up with him when the local forests (east of Foresthill) were on fire, ash settling all over the boat and a obscured sun. I'm the photog, my friends from SoCal are on board after our tennis match ashore. They have a cabin at Fallen Leaf Lake, a place I grew up at every summer from 1954 to 1974.

OK, one that I get in the shot, this is off the coast of Venezuela enroute to Brazil. Since I still have the nasty smoking habit and on a drill rig the only place smoking is allowed is the change room, I enacted a new rule that smoking on the bridge wings is allowed.

Above is on this rig, for atoll who also earns a living out here, the displacement is 32,000 tons.
Old 04-01-2012, 00:01   #114

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Sara-if you think a 35 footer with two couples can get crowded, wait until you find out how crowded a 650 footer with 2,200 passengers gets!
I am in Seattle and see the herd coming and going from the cruise ship terminal almost next to our marina.

The 24 hour bar was the best advice.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 00:25   #115

Hi JayCall, haven't had the pleasure yet, I'm Bob and I'm getting to be a forumholic.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:17   #116

So Sara you have managed to cover anchors, guns and god know what else so all that is left that is close to our hearts is making a living whist cruising.

Have you consider sell sea sickness remedies to the "other cruisers", what are your project sales and proposed markup on the said items.
PS, don't get down wind of potential clients.

Seriously enjoy you cruise as i am sure you will
Old 04-01-2012, 04:16   #117
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
It's pretty cliquish over there... I have either been ignored or attacked.

You would think as a mod I would know how ta post on a forum with out stirring ire, but no, not over there... They take offense pretty damn easy.

They is a little nutz over there....

Are you deck officer there too?

We could gang up on them and start a cruising thread OUR STYLE ; -)
Top tips for joining a new forum:-

1)Title your posts with "What's the Best......"

2) Ask lots of questions (some ideas ):-

- What's the best cruise ship place / area / time of year (be non-specific and don't mention the impossibly low budget until at least page 4 ).

- Will my elderly father & mother-in-law being Naturists cause any problems? Or should they wear thongs. and some tassles.

- My husband is worried that for formal dining a Mankini may be frowned upon (he has medical reasons for wearing it, he's obese and has giant testicles - and has irritable bowel syndrome).

- I am a Muslim, will my Burkha be acceptable as formal dining wear? I also wish to bring some electronic devices onboard - what's the security vetting like?

- As defence against Polar Bears / Pirates etc, can I bring gun(s) onboard? If so, can all my cousins each have own gun? and are automatics rifles ok?

and don't forget the old favourites - Politics, Religion and Race :-

- What's the best cruise ship to avoid Republicans / Americans / Christian Evangelicals / Black people...........and old people

- Will the cruise ship have a Muslim (only) prayer room?

- Will the call to prayer be made over the ship's tannoy - 5 times a day.

- Are there any Muslim only lifeboats?

That should keep 'em occupied for a bit .

Alternatively, identify those who are heavily (over!) invested in the Forum (post count) and suck up to a few by thanking them (in threads they have started) for their insight / help / blah blah blah......play yer way in.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:43   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Top tips for joining a new forum:-

1)Title your posts with "What's the Best......"

2) Ask lots of questions (some ideas ):-

- What's the best cruise ship place / area / time of year (be non-specific and don't mention the impossibly low budget until at least page 4 ).

- Will my elderly father & mother-in-law being Naturists cause any problems? Or should they wear thongs. and some tassles.

- My husband is worried that for formal dining a Mankini may be frowned upon (he has medical reasons for wearing it, he's obese and has giant testicles - and has irritable bowel syndrome).

- I am a Muslim, will my Burkha be acceptable as formal dining wear? I also wish to bring some electronic devices onboard - what's the security vetting like?

- As defence against Polar Bears / Pirates etc, can I bring gun(s) onboard? If so, can all my cousins each have own gun? and are automatics rifles ok?

and don't forget the old favourites - Politics, Religion and Race :-

- What's the best cruise ship to avoid Republicans / Americans / Christian Evangelicals / Black people...........and old people

- Will the cruise ship have a Muslim (only) prayer room?

- Will the call to prayer be made over the ship's tannoy - 5 times a day.

- Are there any Muslim only lifeboats?

That should keep 'em occupied for a bit .

Alternatively, identify those who are heavily (over!) invested in the Forum (post count) and suck up to a few by thanking them (in threads they have started) for their insight / help / blah blah blah......play yer way in.
you forgot the no pork rule in the galley!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21   #119

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I hadn't thought about the dress size demographics actually, but you have a good point.

It will all work out... And I'll be the one in the silver sheath with crystal sandals for one formal night and the black velvet strapless and black spikes the other night... LOLOLOL... now how often do you get a review of shipwear attire around here that includes velvet and silver and spikes?
On the dress size,,,shorter the better,,,,,,and will the review on shipwear attire include any articles on leather and high heals ?????
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25   #120
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

When I first moved on board a boat someone said....you have to cut down on stuff, like jackets. I own more jackets now that I live on a boat several times over.

Tags
cruise