Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 20:18   #76

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

Important work? If you watch his video he states clearly that school was not for him so I guess scientific research is out but apparently he writes a good book. He obviously has his own agenda and is willing to ride rough shod over anything that gets in his way and I don't find that trait particularly noble in him or anyone else.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 20:24   #77
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Mutineer View Post
Is he stupid because he didn't get the permission, or is he stupid because his acting captain sailed into a storm instead of staying anchored as agreed last year?
Looks to me like he was born that way and it just hasn't caught up with him. Yet. It has however caught up with those around him...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 20:33   #78

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Err...OK... well in this case shouldn't we concentrate our efforts where they will do the most good 'cause there a lot that needs fixing - somehow I think Antarctica can look after itself for a few more years while we clean up say New York, Sydney, London, Beijing, the whole middle east, say some refugee camps in the Sudan etc etc.

Then we can move onto the tropical and temperate oceans before sorting out the Arctic regions.

This is just basic crisis management, put the limited resources (people who care) to work where the worst problems are.

Who is to say how this man will turn out, maybe he needs to do what he is doing in order to change himself into someone doing important work - or maybe he is just a bum and will remain so BUT why judge him so harshly for being different when he really isn't causing a significant problem.

Well maybe kidnapping a "passenger", if true, lends itself to some serious official action.
Well said!

Seems a bit silly to me to get worked up about some dudes on a sailboat when much of the world is burning, in one way or another.
Old 27-01-2012, 21:18   #79
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Important work? If you watch his video he states clearly that school was not for him so I guess scientific research is out but apparently he writes a good book. He obviously has his own agenda and is willing to ride rough shod over anything that gets in his way and I don't find that trait particularly noble in him or anyone else.

Andhoy did not write the book, a guy named David Mercy did. It is an interesting read, as the author had absolutely no sailing experience when he boarded Andhoy's 28' vessel and left for Antarctica from Argentina with one days notice to prep and gear up. A must read IMHO. The author was a classic wandering backpacker who had hitchiked and hiked all over all of the continents except Antarctica, and wanted to put the final one under his belt. Boy, did he get more than he bargained for....
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 21:45   #80

Boat: Orca 38

"BUT why judge him so harshly for being different when he really isn't causing a significant problem."

Thank you.........

"It has however caught up with those around him..."

Who again so chose to be there, barring of course the recent comment about shanghaiing which really doesn't even warrant comment.

Scofflaws? SCOFLAWS? Dude, go straighten your doilies. I was born free and will die free.

If anyone is saying that the environmental impact of vessels this size is what this all about is seriously taking up that argument, then I would suggest that their efforts in regards to the environmental horrors mankind has and IS creating should be their top priority, not some guy in plastic horns that has the cajones to try and lay next to a walrus. Which by the way I found outstanding. I think I can say with confidence that the walrus probably came away from the encounter untraumatized. I wonder how traumatized those LEGAL Whale massacring victims feel? Oh wait, that's right, THAT'S legal.

I and many more of my fellow men and women will continue to put ourselves in harms way to save life. Moral judgments have no bearing when life and limb are in danger.

I find myself ranting...... Sorry.

I find the lack of free thinking by some individuals appalling.
Old 27-01-2012, 22:23   #81

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Its actually along the lines of.

I cant or wont do it. Or dont have the balls,

So no else is allowed to do it either,

Jeolousy is a bloody curse, affecting most people.

But in saying that, I personally would not cross the Southern ocean,
except to go to Tasmania,

Thats one very bad ocean, in my opinion,

I wish him well.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 22:30   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post

I find the lack of free thinking by some individuals appalling.
And I guess you've given us a perfect example of free thinking. Free of any logic but rich in rhetoric. Well done.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 22:32   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Its actually along the lines of.

I cant or wont do it. Or dont have the balls,

So no else is allowed to do it either,

Jeolousy is a bloody curse, affecting most people.

But in saying that, I personally would not cross the Southern ocean,
except to go to Tasmania,

Thats one very bad ocean, in my opinion,

I wish him well.
Of course there's always the possibility that some respect those who have done it and done it responsibly. Balls are just an appendage that grows on the males of the species and as far as I can tell that's not a special talent.

Old 27-01-2012, 22:55   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
And I guess you've given us a perfect example of free thinking. Free of any logic but rich in rhetoric. Well done.
Oh dear. Well, if the only place we can talk about this expedition is from a point of logic there is really nothing to say. It makes no sense in that regard. Granted. Neither does stomping up Everest really. What's the point or value in that? If we can talk about it from some other place, any other place, like spirit, freedom, soul, <insert anything but logic here>, then I think it is worth exploring. I, for one, believe there is more to life then logic and I find this tale quite fascinating and perhaps even inspiring, from what I have learned so far anyway.

Chess is not only knowledge and logic. -- Alexander Alekhine
Old 27-01-2012, 23:22   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sky View Post
Oh dear. Well, if the only place we can talk about this expedition is from a point of logic there is really nothing to say. It makes no sense in that regard. Granted. Neither does stomping up Everest really. What's the point or value in that? If we can talk about it from some other place, any other place, like spirit, freedom, soul, <insert anything but logic here>, then I think it is worth exploring. I, for one, believe there is more to life then logic and I find this tale quite fascinating and perhaps even inspiring, from what I have learned so far anyway.

Chess is not only knowledge and logic. -- Alexander Alekhine
And if you wish to "stomp up Everest" you'll require a visa from the Nepalese gov't, or maybe you believe the free don't need such things? Well, good luck with that.

Old 27-01-2012, 23:26   #86

Quote:
And if you wish to "stomp up Everest" you'll require a visa from the Nepalese gov't, or maybe you believe the free don't need such things? Well, good luck with that.
Umm, so your concern (or can I say scorn?) with this expedition is that the proper paper was not inked?
Old 27-01-2012, 23:55   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Umm, so your concern (or can I say scorn?) with this expedition is that the proper paper was not inked?
Have you read any of the thread? The issue is that there are requirements for anyone wishing to go to Antarctica, for what ever purpose. It's Andhøy's practice to ignore the requirements for Antarctica and elsewhere and go anyway. There are some that believe he is a noble adventurer and should be able to do as he pleases because of it. I suspect it's easy to find the limits of any such belief.

You may think, and I'm basing this solely on your last two posts, that you have the right to climb Mt. Everest, even if the Nepalese people don't give you permission to enter their country. Do you extend that same courtesy to someone wishing to come to your own country to fulfill their own dream, whatever that may be?

The fact that the Antarctic has been agreed upon as an area free from the nation's claim doesn't mean anything goes. If anything, in my mind anyway, the agreements reached through international treaty are even more valuable since it represents an agreement that there is something worth protecting from the usual human foolishness.

Others have fulfilled the requirements and sailed these waters. The world won't be impoverished if Andhøy doesn't.

Old 28-01-2012, 00:08   #88

Boat: Finnfire 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Looks to me like he was born that way and it just hasn't caught up with him. Yet. It has however caught up with those around him...
What exactly has he done that in your view makes him stupid?

He is certainly rash, he is certainly more conerned with what he thinks is right than what those around him think. He is also a little bit pompous and has at times an unfortunate way with words.

See, I, as apparently one of very few on here, know a little of him. And flippant remarks such as yours annoy me, because they aren't accurate and they contribute nothing to the discussion.

I'm not unconditionally supportive of everything Andhøy does, but I do respect him and his capabilities as a sailor and as an organiser.

And why do I even have to make this point: When the Berserk went down last year, Andhøy was not in command. The Berserk left the anchorage against Andhøy and the crew's agreement and sailed into a storm. We don't know why. But we certainly know that Andhøy wasn't responsible. He was on land. Andhøy was responsible for the boat being there in the first place, yes, but not for the actions that led to her going down. Simply being in Antarctic waters doesn't make you stupid. Not if the boat and the equipment is up to snuff, and I'm confident the Berserk was.
Last_Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 00:11   #89

Quote:
Have you read any of the thread? The issue is that there are requirements for anyone wishing to go to Antarctica, for what ever purpose. It's Andhøy's practice to ignore the requirements for Antarctica and elsewhere and go anyway. There are some that believe he is a noble adventurer and should be able to do as he pleases because of it. I suspect it's easy to find the limits of any such belief.

You may think, and I'm basing this solely on your last two posts, that you have the right to climb Mt. Everest, even if the Nepalese people don't give you permission to enter their country. Do you extend that same courtesy to someone wishing to come to your own country to fulfill their own dream, whatever that may be?

The fact that the Antarctic has been agreed upon as an area free from the nation's claim doesn't mean anything goes. If anything, in my mind anyway, the agreements reached through international treaty are even more valuable since it represents an agreement that there is something worth protecting from the usual human foolishness.

Others have fulfilled the requirements and sailed these waters. The world won't be impoverished if Andhøy doesn't.
Excellent points! Thank you. I have read the whole thread in fact and the linked threads to the past attempts. I'd not heard of this fellow or his escapades before this, I confess.

Nonetheless, I do find this tale fascinating. Paperwork or no paperwork. I still hope there is something left of the earth that allows a human to go forth and to retort, as Mallory did of Everest, "because it's there". Perhaps that's over now and we all need visas to sneeze. Sad times.
Old 28-01-2012, 00:26   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Excellent points! Thank you. I have read the whole thread in fact and the linked threads to the past attempts. I'd not heard of this fellow or his escapades before this, I confess.

Nonetheless, I do find this tale fascinating. Paperwork or no paperwork. I still hope there is something left of the earth that allows a human to go forth and to retort, as Mallory did of Everest, "because it's there". Perhaps that's over now and we all need visas to sneeze. Sad times.
I suspect Mallory had a visa. The world has changed quite rapidly however. In 1800 there was still lots of room and the oceans were the vast unknown. There was only 1 billion people on the earth. In 1924 when Mallory disappeared there was only 2 billion. Now there is 7 billion and it's all charted.