Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2020, 04:46   #391
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Re: New cruising restrictions in Georgia (USA)

News of the Georgia Anchoring Laws continue to spread outside the US. Noonsite, known by many in the international cruising community and sister site to worldcruising.com, who organize the ARC Rallies has now issued a warning to cruisers to be wary of the new laws which are now a criminal offense.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/usa-ge...aste-disposal/
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 19:10   #392

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

The anchoring restrictions are perhaps the most alarming and certainly the first thing a cruiser notices. However, there are two other aspects that are troubling.

First, it is a de facto NDZ without bothering with the red tape. A proper NDZ requires a great deal of homework, documenting pumpout stations, writing justifications, discussing specific environmental impact -- and then pushing it through EPA for approval (which may be harder than normal right now). So, rather than establishing an NDZ or prohibiting use of a treatment system, they simply wrote a law making it illegal to have an open thru hull. Not an NDZ! Easy Peasy. You wrote regulations we don't like, we did an end run! I have to wonder how that will stand up in court, since they effectively skipped clearly spelled regulations. If it works, I suspect a great deal of states will follow their leed.

Second, it requires non-residents who are unaware of their laws to religiously follow them for a year before entering state waters. You must have documentation of all pump outs performed over the last year (even if you get free, paperless pumpouts at your home marina, or in my case a free marina down the creek from me). So, in my case, I have no receipts, and don't even make a log entry because, well, why should I bother? But, should I decide this fall to retire a few months early and go down the ditch -- I can't comply because I didn't plan far enough ahead! While I don't agree at all, I at least understand making this state law apply to state citizens or apply to out of state citizens passing through, I can't see how they can make the law apply to out of state citizens that are actually out of state!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 05:11   #393
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON GA ANCHORING ISSUE

Thanks to all who have supported our effort to establish the Georgia Anchoring Advocacy fund to retain Scott Draper, a professional lobbyist. We have reached 63% of our funding goal in a matter of days with your help. In less than a week Scott has come up to speed with the issues we have identified in HB201, Georgia’s anchoring law that took effect January 1st, 2020. He was able to broker a conference call with GA DNR Commissioner Mark Williams, his team and our anchoring coalition which we just conducted today, Feb 25, 2020.

Over the course of almost two hours, we had open dialogue on the problems DNR was trying to address with HB201 as well as some of the issues the cruising community had with its incarnation as law. All parties felt the call was productive and there is agreement in principle to refine Rep. Ron Stephens’ HB833 to best achieve our mutual objectives and to push the legislation through the current session in the next few weeks. HB833, if it passes, is expected to replace most parts of HB201.

We are not out of the woods yet, but Georgia policymakers appear to now be responsive to changing some of the most questionable facets of the laws passed last year, including restrictions for where vessels may anchor, the identity of cruising and transient vessels. Commissioner Williams is not willing to rescind the Administrative Order signed on December 30, 2019 that prevents boats from anchoring within 1,000 feet of structures throughout the coastal region of the state, until a legislative fix, HB833, is passed by the General Assembly.

We are optimistic about today's progress and look forward to working with Commissioner Williams, with his support, on HB833. Your support is needed now more than ever to assist in the funding of lobbying efforts that have helped us achieve some degree of success in having Georgia DNR and lawmakers hear our collective voice. Our fight continues in the legislature in the days ahead.

Please join nearly 100 other boaters from across the country and around the world who have supported this effort. Contribute at www.greatloop.org/Georgia

Save Georgia's Anchorages
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
Old 26-02-2020, 15:08   #394
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Pressure GAMBA and the Ga. anti-anchoring laws will be changed...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 16:21   #395
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Pressure GAMBA and the Ga. anti-anchoring laws will be changed...
Yes, you're right. 3 members of GAMBA spoke up against HB201 at the summer 2019 GA DNR public meeting. We are in the process of confirming their position on the replacement bill HB833.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
Old 26-02-2020, 16:22   #396
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ed Tillett's piece is carried also today by Cruising World Magazine https://www.cruisingworld.com/story/...ing-situation/

V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
Old 26-02-2020, 17:29   #397

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
The anchoring restrictions are perhaps the most alarming and certainly the first thing a cruiser notices. However, there are two other aspects that are troubling.

First, it is a de facto NDZ without bothering with the red tape. A proper NDZ requires a great deal of homework, documenting pumpout stations, writing justifications, discussing specific environmental impact -- and then pushing it through EPA for approval (which may be harder than normal right now). So, rather than establishing an NDZ or prohibiting use of a treatment system, they simply wrote a law making it illegal to have an open thru hull. Not an NDZ! Easy Peasy. You wrote regulations we don't like, we did an end run! I have to wonder how that will stand up in court, since they effectively skipped clearly spelled regulations. If it works, I suspect a great deal of states will follow their leed.

Second, it requires non-residents who are unaware of their laws to religiously follow them for a year before entering state waters. You must have documentation of all pump outs performed over the last year (even if you get free, paperless pumpouts at your home marina, or in my case a free marina down the creek from me). So, in my case, I have no receipts, and don't even make a log entry because, well, why should I bother? But, should I decide this fall to retire a few months early and go down the ditch -- I can't comply because I didn't plan far enough ahead! While I don't agree at all, I at least understand making this state law apply to state citizens or apply to out of state citizens passing through, I can't see how they can make the law apply to out of state citizens that are actually out of state!

It has nothing to do with EPA, they (Savannah via Tybee Island) repeatedly, “Accidentally Discharges,” into the Ocean.
The purpose is extortion.
Judges in Georgia are known for carrying out acts of “Deprivation of Rights,” against it’s citizens and all people everywhere. G.R. Smith in particular. He claims he can represent neither plaintiffs nor defendants, yet attempts to dismiss cases, where Jury Trials have been demanded. You sir, are not the Jury.
He obstructs, on behalf of his peers and the State. His Honor, has none.! Tybee Island gang members, are constantly abusing their positions and filing false charges.
The pump out requirements are just another false charge and more extortion. How do you document discharge, “while at sea.?” “You’re a liar Captain.!” “Pay the fine.!”
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:01   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
It has nothing to do with EPA, they (Savannah via Tybee Island) repeatedly, “Accidentally Discharges,” into the Ocean.
The purpose is extortion.
Judges in Georgia are known for carrying out acts of “Deprivation of Rights,” against it’s citizens and all people everywhere. G.R. Smith in particular. He claims he can represent neither plaintiffs nor defendants, yet attempts to dismiss cases, where Jury Trials have been demanded. You sir, are not the Jury.
He obstructs, on behalf of his peers and the State. His Honor, has none.! Tybee Island gang members, are constantly abusing their positions and filing false charges.
The pump out requirements are just another false charge and more extortion. How do you document discharge, “while at sea.?” “You’re a liar Captain.!” “Pay the fine.!”
Defamation isn't something to engage in lightly, nor is it without consequences.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:50   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Defamation isn't something to engage in lightly, nor is it without consequences.

They will never meet me, before a Jury.
If they had a leg to stand on, it would have been before a jury.
I welcome them, to present, “Their Case.”
Old 27-02-2020, 03:41   #400
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Judges in Georgia are known for carrying out acts of “Deprivation of Rights,” against it’s citizens and all people everywhere. G.R. Smith in particular. He claims he can represent neither plaintiffs nor defendants, yet attempts to dismiss cases, where Jury Trials have been demanded. You sir, are not the Jury.
He obstructs, on behalf of his peers and the State. His Honor, has none...
G.R. Smith was a federal magistrate judge, on the United States District Court, for the Southern District of Georgia.
He retired October 1, 2018.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 06:31   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
G.R. Smith was a federal magistrate judge, on the United States District Court, for the Southern District of Georgia.
He retired October 1, 2018.

Thank you. Glad he saw fit to stop obstructing.
The clerks are still putting judges names on cases the judges know not about. Judge Fay was 90.
Old 27-02-2020, 07:19   #402

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Judges in Georgia are known for carrying out acts of “Deprivation of Rights,” against it’s citizens and all people everywhere...
... After reading that I can't get Vicki Lawrence's song out of my mind:

Quote:
Well, the judge said guilty in a make-believe trial
Slapped the sheriff on the back with a smile
Said, "Supper's waitin' at home and I gotta get to it."

That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia
That's the night that they hung an innocent man
Well, don't trust your soul to no backwoods southern lawyer
Cause the judge in the town's got bloodstains on his hands
Georgia politics has always been, er, interesting. At least since the days of Huey P. Long.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 07:37   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Georgia politics has always been, er, interesting. At least since the days of Huey P. Long.
Well, you did say, "since the days of.." but the implication is that Huey P. Long is from GA, which is incorrect. He was an LA politician.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 09:50   #404

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Well, you did say, "since the days of.." but the implication is that Huey P. Long is from GA, which is incorrect. He was an LA politician.

Later,
Dan
I stand corrected. No insult intended to either GA or LA! I wonder which GA governor I had in mind. At any rate, no state has a monopoly on sleazy politicians.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 09:59   #405
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

If you really want to know who sponsored the original bill here in Ga..

https://ballotpedia.org/Don_Hogan
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, georgia