Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 16:14   #106

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: New Anchoring Regs In FL Keys Up For Public Comment.

The Florida anchoring regs. were approved by the FWC and only have to be approved once more by Monroe County. They will probably be in effect some time in 2013, but then they sunset in 2014. That will be the next big hurdle as these areas that now have these new laws will supposedly have to show the results of how they are working great, and then they will have to get them changed or reapproved in order to keep them.

In the short term, start keeping your pumpout log in the Keys, or get a porta pottie or a composting head. Incinerator toilets are also exempted.

Of course there is no funding--zero zilch--in the law for informing the public, marking no-anchorage areas, enforcement, or even record keeping. So, it really all falls onto the local municipalities and counties to see these laws into action. Don't be surprised if you see highly uneven enforcement due to lack of resources.
Old 01-10-2012, 16:41   #107

1.5 million in State funds was approved for removal of derelict vessels.
There is no need to have money spent on enforcement..The mooring owners will be on top of it if they think your beating them out of 5 bucks. The pumping regs are not new and are federal/state law in all no discharge zones. Composting toilets are by no means easy to deal with either neither are incinerating(lots of power needed) or Chemical as the waste must all go ashore. There are pumping stations everywhere......use a pumpout boat or take your vessel to the pump out station.

The powers that be are not after you (we worked hard on this) but the bum boats.
Believe me the waterfront home owners wanted us all removed from the water except them.
ParidiseParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 07:36   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just thought I would put this here. . . . useful summary of the current law and situation:

2013 Florida anchoring summery
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 08:10   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Interesting read (the law)..... so if one goes out to the locally legal limit offshore and dumps, just entering it into a log book would suffice? Another issue is that I keep my boat at Garrison Bight (Key West) on a live-aboard dock. Poop hose connected 24/7.... there are times when I move out to my own mooring for a day or two; usually associated with coming from/going to a cruising trip. If the potty police board me and demand my papers, I have nothing but an excuse to offer them.

I wholeheartedly agree the "bum boats" are a problem, BUT using pump-outs as a means of enforcement is silly, and in my opinion unenforceable. It is fairly obvious which vessels can sail/motor and which never will again. Subjective as it is, give law enforcement the ability to target those vessels s/he feels are derelict and then let the owners prove otherwise. Transiting to a city dock once a year is a great tool... a similar rule for parked vehicles at my marina works great: "Once a year each vehicle must be presented at the dockmasters office under its own power to receive a parking sticker"... Cleared out the junk four wheeled dock boxes!
Old 23-10-2012, 09:14   #110

Yes your log book would suffice or your marina receipt or pump out ticket or receipt or entry into your log book if self serve. The boat that are going to be targeted already have prob. Locals know which ones need to go.
Old 23-10-2012, 10:18   #111

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The Stuart/Martin County anti-anchoring ordinance is up for public comment. Please let your thoughts be heard on this important boating access issue. Note that they are limiting anchoring in Manatee Pocket to two designated areas, eliminating anchoring within 300 feet of maritime infrastructure, and within 1000 feet of shore. This law would severely restrict possible anchoring locations around Stuart.
Old 23-10-2012, 10:20   #112

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The Stuart/Martin County anti-anchoring ordinance is up for public comment. Please let your thoughts be heard on this important boating access issue. Note that they are limiting anchoring in Manatee Pocket to two designated areas, eliminating anchoring within 300 feet of maritime infrastructure, and within 1000 feet of shore. This law would severely restrict possible anchoring locations around Stuart.
Geez... I don't think cruisers are welcome there and if I don't feel welcome there, neither is my money.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 11:04   #113
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParidiseParrot View Post
Yes your log book would suffice or your marina receipt or pump out ticket or receipt or entry into your log book if self serve. The boat that are going to be targeted already have prob. Locals know which ones need to go.

I've never gotten any "pump out ticket" or receipt regarding pumpouts.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 11:52   #114

Boat: grampian 26

You may or may not agree with the "Rule of Law" but it keeps us from becoming Afghanistan or any number of other basket case countries, however, if the law is not applied with an even hand it becomes pointless.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 11:53   #115

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I've never gotten any "pump out ticket" or receipt regarding pumpouts.
Did you ask?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 12:22   #116

1000 feet is way to far. More of your waterfront homeowner b.s. again.
Old 23-10-2012, 13:43   #117

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

i've been thinking of sailing to the keys for the winter, if i do, what should i know about the achorage, as i see this is a topic of debate, is there still a good one left? (i didn't spend over 500 bucks on an anchor and chain to use it as ballast) my boat draws 6ft, and would like to know if there is a good dingy dock, and if anyone knows what the pump-out fees are.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 13:52   #118
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Did you ask?
Never knew to until now. Didn't put it in the log, either.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 14:56   #119
CLOD

Boat: none

Seems all the harbors I've been to in the Northeast are basically the way the FL proposes are (except for the pump out receipt). There are big mooring fields, but you can find a spot normally on the edges to anchor.

It's a big world why do we spend so much time talking about FL.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:30   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman.ben View Post
i've been thinking of sailing to the keys for the winter, if i do, what should i know about the achorage, as i see this is a topic of debate, is there still a good one left? (i didn't spend over 500 bucks on an anchor and chain to use it as ballast) my boat draws 6ft, and would like to know if there is a good dingy dock, and if anyone knows what the pump-out fees are.

Ben , Hundreds of places to anchor in the Keys. 4 feet depth is better but 6 is doable. The new "law" per se will not be of any issue to you.
Pumpout fees run from free to 5 bucks. Public money from Hunting, fishing , boating fees where set to the marinas to buy the equipment. It is not a money making thing.

The areas of issues are these

1)Boot Key Harbor which is small but pretty much a hurricane hole. Because of this you can imagine the abandoned boat issue. These have been removed and there are moorings there in a large field. There was once a few spot for anchoring but no longer.
Dingy dock , showers etc come with mooring fee which is not excessive considering the area and protection.

2)Key West.....busy place. Huge mooring field which comes with usual amenities. Not expensive at all imho compared to the ridiculous dockage fees being charged. Most of the Harbor has poor holding. The area in front of xmas tree island was popular with liveaboards with boat in various states of repair
often with many anchors out. Holding is poor but it is a close dinghy ride and the liveaboard workers are not big on expensive dinks usually. and the area is one of the better spots as far as wind protection. These boats will have to go to a mooring now. Frankly the pay is pretty high in KW (not compared to housing cost) so mooring cost won't be a burden except those that have a monkey to feed.The sea plane basin and a small harbor by Stock island will also be off limits. There are plenty of anchor spots in the area but not what most would consider primo or convenient. Considering the holding is bad and the area is busy with many trying to use a limited resource your better off finding a mooring to rent.

Anchor anywhere else you want outside of channels etc. there are about a 100 spots. People looking for free storage , drug addicts on bum boats and the like have been a part of the Keys culture and to some extent will never go away considering you cant possibly police such a large area. but the harbors should be clear for the 99% now. Anchoring is not the issue in most of the
Keys but access to stores etc is as there is a lack of free dingy docks and day docks. Marina Rates are truly high.

St Pete has moored off Vinoy basin but frankly there is nothing to do downtown except eat bad food in overpriced bistro's The rest of Pinellas county and Tampa Bay has many many places to anchor for free that are better anyway. Vinoy basin is protected so was favored by those who needed to leave the boat for a time. Again leading to derelict issues.The mooring rent is so high there that the moorings are all empty and are losing money by the bucket. A issue for the local taxpayer.

St. Augustine has some rules but there are plenty of free anchor spots. Contact local boats on VHF for directions.

Sarasota has a whole anchorage filled with unsafe moorings. Put in for the benefits of passing the laws to make waterfront homeowners happy. More boondoggle and again not a very attractive spot anyway. The west coast of Florida has Hundreds of FREE and PRETTY places to be. Give Sarasota a pass.
Manatee River is much better place to be in the area.

Stuart has not had there plan approved. Miami/Miami Beach pulled there plan as far as I know when the FWC started shooting down the stupid provisions in the laws which had more to due with waterfront homeowner issues than boating ones.Granted I don't feel I the right to camp in there backyard but they don't own the ocean either and noone is making them live there.

Tags
anchor, anchoring