Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 13:37   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Another of the UN's reccommendation is the use of tools such as these:
American Technology Corporation
I don't suppose it will be suitable for SVs
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 13:49   #32

We should stop all shipping in those waters and immediately begin building schools, mosques, clinics and Walmarts in Somolia. You evil successful people with boats should have to pay for it...

Or:

Deal with the failed and pathetic culture harshly so that they understand the consequences, thus sparing far more numerous innocent victims.
SeattleBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 14:03   #33

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
The Dutch (I'm sorry to say that I'm one of them) catch them, keep them for a while and than set them free with a big hug and excuses. Probably gave them some aid to get restarted too....
Old 03-03-2010, 15:51   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
The Dutch (I'm sorry to say that I'm one of them) catch them, keep them for a while and than set them free with a big hug and excuses. Probably gave them some aid to get restarted too....
I wouldn't sweat it.

Apparently the Royal Navy have just apologised to the Somali Pirates for failing to protect them as usual. Compensation will be paid in the form of another couple of yachties...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 15:54   #35

You must belive in that the odds are in your favour!

The below stated goes equally for Pirate or victim,

Having spent the first part of my life in the Airforce occupied with " the noble art of aviation" or put in other words how to kick some military ass when needed without getting killed I humble look at it this way:

Personally I was always more afraid of a lifelong imprissonment compared to a quick death. Before even considering a combat situation and moving forward the odds had to be percived as favourable, ( you of course knew that you could face to have to bite the bullet from an overall advantagous point of view but even in this position you had to understand to stakes to carry out your mission correctly).
The situation today is percived by the pirates as low risk ( no I do not mean being killed but rather as a low risk of not beeing able to support for your family as I do think is their primary objective)

As long as this is the case we will be facing the problem.

Hummingway said that Merchant ships inspite of beeing advised to do so seldom bring armed guards due costs.
I´m not so sure that the problem is costs.
Perhaps it is more facing the facts of using force.
You are seldom "a litttle pregnant" nor using deadly force without realising you can count on getting the same in return.
It is the same problem you face when carrying a gun , either you do and then you have to know how to and also be prepared to use it Skillfully or you are better of not to carry the thing.

My bottom line when it comes to us as a crising community is:

Work for us combining our rescources when it comes to solving these problems.
Do think these problems through and do not take them lightly.
It is a bit like sailing into the roaring forties without the right eqpmt. and a proper strategy.
Personally I do belive if we team up it is a child´s play beating the pirates.

Rgds

Kristian
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 16:55   #36

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes
Bet the Danes are smart enough not to want to bring the pirates back to one of their large cities to be stand trial.
lol.
Old 03-03-2010, 17:41   #37

Pirates widen their theatre of operations

Here is the latest extract of piracy activity - what is significant are the location reports outside the Gulf of Aden - ie .. The Southern Red Sea and
the seas off Oman. This is important information for cruisers using the passage from the Indian Ocean >> Mediterranean. The East to West flotillas congregate in Salalah - Oman before entering the G of A.
++++++++++++
01:03.2010: Gulf of Aden
Pirates attacked and hijacked an oil tanker under way. Pirates have control of the ship and have taken the ship to an unknown location in Somalia. Further details awaited.
--------------
03.03.2010: 0628 UTC: Posn: 13:37N – 042:58.5E, Southern Part of Red Sea.
Two pirates in different boats chased and attempted to board a chemical tanker underway. Master carried out evasive manoeuvres, mustered all crew and started water spray. Master contacted a coalition warship and the warship provided assistance. No injuries to crew and no damage to ship.
---------------
02.03.2010: 0345 UTC: Posn: 12:38.4N – 044:47.4E, Gulf of Aden.
Four pirates in a skiff chased and attempted to board an oil tanker underway. Master carried out evasive manoeuvres and fire hoses were activated. After about one hour of chasing the pirates aborted the attempted.
----------------
02.03.2010: 0530 UTC: Posn: 15:33N – 059:53E, 230nm off Oman coast, Arabian Sea.
Five pirates in a skiff approached a chemical tanker underway and attempted to board her. Master raised alarm, took evasive manoeuvres and contacted coalition forces for assistance. Pirates aborted the attack due to the evasive manoeuvres and anti-piracy measures taken by the ship.
---------------------
28.02.2010: 0350 LT Posn: 12:32.5N – 043:26.0E, Bab Al Mandeb, Southern Tip of Red Sea.
D/O onboard a product tanker noticed on radar two crafts sailing parallel to the tanker. The crafts then started approaching the vessel. Alarm raised and crew mustered on bridge. Anti piracy measures including use of floodlights to track the crafts and recorded sounds of dogs barking activate. Master took evasive manoeuvres, increased speed and transmitted mayday messages. A naval vessel announced that they are proceeding to the location. At 0415 LT, the crafts aborted the attack.
-----------------------
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 19:17   #38

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Hmmm Gota get me one of them fire hoses and the dog CD !
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 19:30   #39

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
But will it work now...That's the problem ...they can read too!

Media...its a best friend/worst enemy senario.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 19:42   #40

Boat: 30' of steel, not incl. mast(alum)
I'm sorry but I do not understand the logic of sinking the "mother ship" with thousands of liters of diesel fuel, supplies and possibly high speed boats aboard! If the pirates had been STILL aboard then maybe, but why not take it to a friendly port for possible auction to offset retrieval costs?
mstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 19:48   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
Hummingway said that Merchant ships inspite of beeing advised to do so seldom bring armed guards due costs.
I´m not so sure that the problem is costs.
Perhaps it is more facing the facts of using force.
You are seldom "a litttle pregnant" nor using deadly force without realising you can count on getting the same in return.
You're probably right Kristian. It had occurred to me as well.
Old 03-03-2010, 20:14   #42

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrom View Post
I'm sorry but I do not understand the logic of sinking the "mother ship" with thousands of liters of diesel fuel, supplies and possibly high speed boats aboard! If the pirates had been STILL aboard then maybe, but why not take it to a friendly port for possible auction to offset retrieval costs?
Cause the way it works they would have had to give back the ship after they let them all go and say sorry to them.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 20:17   #43

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyhorob View Post
Cause the way it works they would have had to give back the ship after they let them all go and say sorry to them.
And pay restitution...provide legal counsel...pay for psychological rehabilitation/damage and loss of use revenue....not to mention family hardship payments.

Darn bleeding hearts anyway.

Naw! environmental clean up is way cheaper.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 20:23   #44

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
What will they do with the pirates? Let them go and they will be back in action in no time.
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 20:38   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They've been realeaing them. This abstract gives an overview of why.
SSRN-'A Guantanamo on the Sea': The Difficulties of Prosecuting Pirates and Terrorists by Eugene Kontorovich

More stuff:
The American Society of International Law