Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 21:29   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: More problems in Mexico

tacoma, i STILL donot lock my boat. there is no neeed.
and yes rich....it is a miracle i am still among the living.

mebbe i am dead and living in heaven.

rodlmffao..

hay rich do you have recommendation for e n t physician in mazatlan??.. my loud voice is growing almost as soft as that of your lovely lady. kinda scary. lol
Old 22-03-2015, 21:56   #32

Boat: Caliber 40

""That aside, a boat not worth locking can be found in most anchorages, especially those dotting wonderful Mexico. A good friend of mine used to own a beat-up Toyota wagon that he never locked, regardless of where he parked it in Los Angeles.

Similar analogy, I assume. That, or you sail a new Hinckley Sou'wester that you never leave. Even for food or water."

See Attached

"Drug cartel beheadings, Federale corruption, shake downs, and murders, overall lawlessness, and fur sometimes found in chicken tacos informs me to now stay FAR away from your little corner of heaven with my nice yacht.
Cruise down to El Salvador and Honduras much? Won't see me there either."

It must be tough living in fear of new experiences, places, and people that don't think and act as you would like?

The only time I have been assaulted at gun point was
- in downtown Detroit in front of an expensive hotel
- in Bellingham Washington in my waterfront home
- near Mt Baker, Washington while skiing

My wife was assaulted (twice) by gun toting cops who had mistaken her for another individual. We were handcuffed and thrown around while she tried to explain they were looking for "xxx" and she had a letter from the DA explaining that my wife was not "xxx".

Years later she was assaulted by another cop while she was driving her plainly marked city utility vehicle, wearing a city utility uniform, and wearing a very large city ID picture badge. The cop found her driving slowly up and down a dark alley and thought it very suspicious (it was in back of his house). She was searching for a reported broken water main reported by the cop's neighbor.

I was attacked by rock-throwing teenagers in downtown Washington DC.

We can all find reasons to be scared and insecure but the stories out of Mexico and not a good reason to miss cruising in that lovely country.

I have worked in at least 20-countries on four continents and the only place I have feared for my safety was in the United States.

Spend some time in Mexico before you fall victim to overblown press and rumors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MiradorSuccia.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	99222  
Old 22-03-2015, 21:59   #33

A lot of misguided fear of Mexico in this thread...I just got back from wintering down there for the second year.. unless you like drugs you are safer than in the USA or Canada. I think your state department is on drugs though.

The only time I ever had to bribe a policeman was 2 years ago in Montana.
Old 22-03-2015, 22:17   #34

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Makes me wonder how many of the fear mongers have actually even been to Mexico.
Old 22-03-2015, 23:42   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
It must be tough living in fear of new experiences, places, and people that don't think and act as you would like?
Living all over the world. Still am. Been to Mexico many times. No desire to visit there now, AT ALL. Have a great time!

Quote:

My wife was assaulted (twice) by gun toting cops who had mistaken her for another individual. We were handcuffed and thrown around while she tried to explain they were looking for "xxx" and she had a letter from the DA explaining that my wife was not "xxx".

Years later she was assaulted by another cop while she was driving her plainly marked city utility vehicle, wearing a city utility uniform, and wearing a very large city ID picture badge. The cop found her driving slowly up and down a dark alley and thought it very suspicious (it was in back of his house). She was searching for a reported broken water main reported by the cop's neighbor.

I was attacked by rock-throwing teenagers in downtown Washington DC.
Between you and your wife, I really don't know what to say. You're leaving me speechless. Is there a national "I Was Harassed" club you both can maybe join? Amazing. Been skiing all over the world since age 4. Yes, 4. New England, Colorado, Utah, California, Japan, and Europe. Never one time had a gun pulled on me. That's a first! Congratulations. You're doing something right.

Quote:
I have worked in at least 20-countries on four continents and the only place I have feared for my safety was in the United States.

Spend some time in Mexico before you fall victim to overblown press and rumors.
Same here, amigo. Moreover, many times in Mexico. Only there and in Central America do I ever feel very nervous. Maybe my DNA is allergic to third world-type nations. Possible?
Old 23-03-2015, 06:37   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

If a person is lily white i could see them not having many issues in Mex. if however you have a brown complexion (like me) you had better prepare yourself because you will at minimum be harassed for bribes from the police when they pull you over and size you up for a stay at a cartel guest house !! The only thing that slows them down when dealing with me is my southern accent, I even have a fake version deep deep accent..They have kept me for hours at times trying to get me to speak Spanish!! I just nod my head and say over and over No comprenda!! When I get tired of this game I just say "take me to your Captain" and they let me go..This has happened many many times.. I have a friend that is Mexican but has US documentation and we were traveling together once and he said had I not been with him they would have a made a reservation for him at the Cartel guest house..I think many of the "Americans" that are killed or disappear in Mexico are Mexican/American types like my friend.. Most Anglo types dont seem to be the targets of these cartels unless they are knee deep in nefarious activity..I would go to Mexico tomorrow but I would not feel as secure as I had in the past..
Old 23-03-2015, 07:32   #37

Quote:
Must be careful about displaying any sign of wealth...
Old 23-03-2015, 07:48   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

funny .. my brown friends are not harrassed for bribes at all..
port clyde-- STAY HOME
for the rest of ye...
you all may wish to remain in your safe detroit inner city and compton-watts safe gated communities where in are only allowed the bangers born n bred in usa inner city-dom..
such balderdash as i have read here is hard to find elsewhere....fed by sensationalist media ....is good to know y'all aint headed here.

i was afeared my anchoring spots might become filled with flaming grammar nazi mexiphobes..

as for alcaputo..sry i prefer paths less travelled despite having friends there i prolly wont go there for any length of time.
Old 23-03-2015, 08:03   #39

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Try living in South Africa .......

Despite Jo’burg’s reputation as the most dangerous city South Africa, it doesn’t make the shortlist list globally when it comes to murder. And while Cape Town is the gang capital of South Africa, this may not be the main reason for the high homicide stats.

Hey, but we all still travel, sail and holiday around here, we just stay out of the "no-go bad' areas. Police are mostly corrupt anyway.

Despite this, I would invite anyone to come and see our country, don't listen and believe all the negative hype.
Old 23-03-2015, 08:12   #40

tropicalescape makes a useful point: You have the right in Mexico to be taken to the local police station in case you are not happy with the way the fuzz is handling you on the street. If it's a simple shakedown, that should stop things right there.

I wouldn't advise trying this at home. The art of the shakedown has been highly institutionalized in the U.S. of A.
Old 23-03-2015, 08:24   #41

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I've lived in Mexico for the last year and rode a bus from Ensenada to La Paz for a couple weeks stay. Where ever you are you need to have situational awareness, especially in larger population areas. I was more nervous towards petty crime and injury in Los Angeles and Las Vegas than I have in any place else. This isn't to bash America but rather to point out that you need to pay attention to your surrounds and security no matter where you are in the world.

I don't own a car so walk and take the local buses where ever I live so mix with the local people frequently. I stay away from bad areas, especially at night and avoid things like showing cash, being the "loud American" etc. Your attitude and how you treat others will have a lot to do with how your treated in return. This has been true in my travels through Mexico, the US and Europe.

There is this "attitude" in America that just amazes me though. I don't know if it's the overloading of the senses by mainstream media about "how scary" it is out in the world or just a shift in our country's character but I hear all the time from friends and family about how they are scared of the world out there and won't leave their suburban enclaves (with gates and rent-a-cops). I even heard about it when I moved to Hawaii, how everything not tied down will get stolen and if your white they'll beat you up walking down the street. Neither of which were the reality on the ground. There is a happy medium somewhere between walking through a war zone wearing touristy clothes and your head in the clouds and cowering in fear in the basement afraid of anything that might be 1% different than your comfort zone.

Life is a constant risk vs reward evaluation. The risk is crime the reward is experiencing the world out there.
Old 23-03-2015, 11:05   #42

Boat: Pearson 34-II

There are those among us who have patrolled in combat zones in some of the most dangerous areas in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan and have returned to base without incident. A logical person would never conclude that based upon those experiences those areas would be considered safe. And, it does not mean that areas considered to be safe are immune to violence. However, a logical person must ask: are the chances for violence against the person greater in one area than another. And, am I willing to take that chance based upon my desire to see that area. The choice is yours. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 23-03-2015, 15:28   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
funny .. my brown friends are not harrassed for bribes at all..
port clyde-- STAY HOME
My friends were, by Federales while driving from Tijuana to Ensenada. Had to pay the cop $20 US to let them on their way. That was in the 1980s!!! With NO US travel warning in place. I'm sure it's SO MUCH safer and different NOW.

Ps; I go wherever I want, and armed.

Via con dios, amigo.
Old 23-03-2015, 15:33   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

as for alcaputo..sry i prefer paths less travelled despite having friends there i prolly wont go there for any length of time.
Yeah, I assumed as much. Because the drug gangs are cutting off heads on the beach. Not like the '50s, '60s, and '70s. I "prolly" will avoid that path to that sunsoaked Shangri-La beach also.

You answered my question about Acapulco and Mexico. Gracias!
Old 23-03-2015, 15:47   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
My friends were......That was in the 1980s!!! .
Now wait a second here...everyone is certainly entitled to have their opinion...but.... Are we really citing examples from the 1980's as to why you feel uneasy about traveling to Mexico? If that's not absurd on it's face I don't know what else to say honestly. For the love of Pete...30yrs after WWII you could safely visit Germany and Japan, how about a little perspective on things!

It's 2015 today and there are literally thousands of boats cruising Mexico every season. Do you happen to know or can share any statistics on how many crimes against cruisers happen our are reported per year in Mexico?
Do you follow the various Cruiser sites specific to Mexico where those type of crimes against cruiser would be reported? Do you listen in on the 4-5 HF/SSB radio nets that talk daily about what is going on in Mexico and report everything from diesel fuel prices to crimes against cruisers?

So I've been paying pretty close attention (like daily) now to what's been going on in Mexico (specifically Pacific Mexico...what I know) for the last 8yrs and how many murders of cruisers have I seen? How many armed robberies? How much violent crime committed against cruiser? Ridiculously low amounts. That's isn't sticking my head in the sand, that is just looking at the facts on the ground. If you want to take the State Department's warnings and try to relate that to the threat for a cruiser...then I would submit your cruising experience is as dated as your first hand knowledge of Mexico.

Like I said, everyone can and should make their own decision on the safety of staying at home or going to Mexico, Italy or the South Pacific via boat. But what's a little ridiculous is basing your opinion on a robbery that occurred in the 1980s, maybe it was Gorbachev that robbed your friend?
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico