Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 11:12   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: More problems in Mexico

Y'all might think I am nuts, but more people have been killed in the drug war in Mexico alone, than US soldiers killed in Vietnam. We clearly aren't winning the drug war.

The only solution to the problem of the drug-related violence created by the drug cartels in North, Central and South America, as I see it, is to legalize recreational drugs. Make heroin and cocaine available by doctor's prescription, so the doctor could monitor the user's health. Cannabis is becoming legal and the drug cartels aren't so interested in cannabis anyway.

It's not just a problem in the Americas, what finances the Taliban? Opium to make heroin. Legalizing these drugs will make all the "industries" that rake in the dough from this drug business collapse.

Throwing more troops into the fray will only result in more deaths.

The war on drugs is over 80 years old and the personal use of recreational drugs are is going to be eliminated. Controlled...maybe.

Not that the poor Canadian's death was drug-related, but the culture of violence is drug-related.

Do what ever you want, just don't do it on my foot.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:42   #17

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Funny, the Taliban financed by Opium.
The British Empire was financed by...Opium.
I think ISIS, Bin Ladens are financed by...OIL, the 20th century addiction.
The 21st century addiction is still OIL, but also cheap chinese labor.

Stay away from Mexico, too dangerous..and they don't speak English.
Old 22-03-2015, 12:55   #18

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecreek View Post
Well said Duchie. I live in Texas, were we have all the same problems: murder, rape, theft & criminal mayhem. Our government representatives answer is to arm everyone. The legislature's current priorities are bills for campus carry of firearms and building a bigger border fence. Paranoia is not a good thing for a person, state or country. Paranoia takes all the fun out of life. How many people have sailed the Sea of Cortez and had the time of their life?
Well said. I'm a Texan too and look at our corrupt state government and the boarder BS. Past gov Perry, under indictment making a run for the oval office! And what crook replaced him, Abet!
Old 22-03-2015, 13:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecreek View Post
Well said Duchie. I live in Texas, were we have all the same problems: murder, rape, theft & criminal mayhem. Our government representatives answer is to arm everyone. The legislature's current priorities are bills for campus carry of firearms and building a bigger border fence. Paranoia is not a good thing for a person, state or country. Paranoia takes all the fun out of life. How many people have sailed the Sea of Cortez and had the time of their life?
Good thing you can't sail Cuidad Juarez, huh? Even though the Sea of Cortez is somewhat removed, it's not that far away. Been to Tijuana lately? Yeah, just like a heavenly country club.

Yup. Mexico. Such a safe place. Can't wait to go sailing there.

Whatever you do, don't listen to the US State Dept. It's well known that they never do any research and that they don't know anything about the southern neighbors.

"More than 130 kidnappings of U.S. citizens were reported to the U.S. Embassy and consulates in Mexico between January and November of 2014.

U.S. citizens are encouraged to lower their personal profiles and to avoid displaying indicators of wealth such as expensive or expensive-looking jewelry, watches, or cameras. U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain awareness of their surroundings and avoid situations in which they may be isolated or stand out as potential victims."

Mexico Travel Warning

Hmmmmm. Let me see:

1) "...avoid displaying indicators of wealth..." There's no way that could include a nice sailboat with dinghy and outboard.

2) "...avoid situations in which they may be isolated..." There's no way that could mean alone on a nice boat in the Sea of Cortez.

Run, don't walk, to Mexico. And make sure to be isolated on a nice boat, with a nice wife, and with absolutely no means of self defense.

I'm in! Sign me up!
Old 22-03-2015, 14:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
Ive travelled all over Mexico by bus and auto, alone, to some of the most remote area, even when they had the uprisings in Chiapas. the only time I had any trouble was in Mexico City and that was with the cops.

Mexico is a beautiful gracious country. I agree with what was said about President Fox, but times change. Now I refuse to cross the border, as do many of my Mexican friends.

The Cartels are sub human, not unlike ISIS. They need extermination.
Agree, 100%!

I went on several trips down to MX with some friends of mine, they'd been going for about 25 yrs and had awesome memories of local hospitality. But then they got stopped and robbed by a group who dressed exactly like Fderales back in 2007, 5 mi south of the TJ border. They've never been down there again, and neither have I.
Old 22-03-2015, 14:25   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
The Cartels are sub human, not unlike ISIS. They need extermination.
The cartels are a product of the "war on drugs". If you want an example of what legalizing drugs can do look at Portugal. We could eliminate the violence of the cartels overnight by legalizing drugs and stopping the "war on drugs". That is unlikely because there is to much money involved, to much corruption, to much at stake for politicians, the military, DEA and Homeland Security as well as the drug "lords"
Old 22-03-2015, 15:41   #22

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Been to Mexico a number of times. DROVE to Ixtapa two years ago. Spent a lot of time in Zihautenerjo and Ixtapa in Guerrero State, the Capitol of the drug areas. Not a problem. Unless you are in the Drug trade, dealing arms, or laundering money, relax. Does that mean you won't be robbed? No. We can't guarantee that anywhere. Just common sense.
Old 22-03-2015, 16:34   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Not a problem. Unless you are in the Drug trade, dealing arms, or laundering money, relax.
This is a ridiculous statement. One could just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up headless. Something like 50,000 people have died because of the drug trade, illegal logging enforced by armed thugs or protesting.
Old 22-03-2015, 17:30   #24

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. One could just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up headless. Something like 50,000 people have died because of the drug trade, illegal logging enforced by armed thugs or protesting.
Or you could end-up incarnated by going into a super-high-rise tower in New York City as an airliner crashes into it. As Minnesota Fats said, when your numbers up, your numbers up. People going to Mexico should look into how many Americans are killed there each year and why. I did and went, by car no less. As for you, I recommend you stay home and feel much more safe.
Old 22-03-2015, 19:20   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I actually feel sorry for people that live their lives in fear, but it's their life to live. I'll toast you guys on my monthly trip South of the Border for braces....$1800 vs $7500 here in the "safe USA".
Old 22-03-2015, 20:58   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and do i gather the country andcwatetsbof mexifo are tpocdangerous for a sola old womwn to cruise.
you guys crack me up.
sure glad y'all are not coming here.
mexico has been verry verry good to me.
is beautiful and folks are kind and gentle folks.
so i gather the places where in shootings occur in schools is SAFE????
Old 22-03-2015, 21:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

It's just best to give up Zee, it;s hard to get people out of their comfortable fear.

I remember you sailing into Mazzy old harbor when we were anchored there...imagine how we even survived. And to think I even left my wife and kids alone in Mexico when I traveled to the States....gast....
Old 22-03-2015, 21:17   #28

Boat: Caliber 40

My only direct experience in the last year was two trips to Ensenada. I take the San Diego trolley to San Ysidro and walk across the border at Tijuana. I then walk (with no personal protection) all over TJ and eventually find the bus that takes me to Ensenada. I then spend several days walking all over Ensenada.

A good friend here in San Diego has a Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) adventure company. He runs a big van that takes up to six SUP novices or sometimes experts on three to five day trips to Rosarita, Ensenada, or San Quintinn in the Western Baja. The stay in cheap hotels and hangout at remote and deserted beaches. He is a businessman who makes sound decisions that will make him money - taking tourists to scary places is not in his business plan so he loves taking his clients to the Western Baja coastal areas.

Last November he took six tourists on a four day tour of the wine country NE of Ensenada. They stayed in small remote farms and villages and had a great time.

Last week he flew to Cabo San Lucas with five Novice SUP folks where they rented a car and spent 7-days driving 1,000 miles between La Paz, Los Barrilles, Cabo San Lucas, and Totas Santos. They had a great time with no problems.

Many of my friends are surfers who spend a lot of time in very remote beaches all along the Baja West Coast. They live in vans and sleep in tents with no problems and no stress.

Good sailing and cruising friends have been living in the Sea of Cortez on their Norseman 447 since November 2013 and report no problems at all. They have visited all the ports in the Sea of Cortez, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

I find it hard to believe that Western Mexico, north of Puerto Vallarta, has changed much since we were there 2001 - 2004. We never locked the boat, except in Marina Mazatlan, and never once felt threatened or concerned. We rode our bicycles everywhere in La Paz, PV, Mazatlan, Loreto, Santa Rosalía and visited a lot of small urban shops and neighborhoods that seldom saw tourists.

Safe and sound!
Old 22-03-2015, 21:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
and do i gather the country andcwatetsbof mexifo are tpocdangerous for a sola old womwn to cruise.
you guys crack me up.
sure glad y'all are not coming here.
mexico has been verry verry good to me.
is beautiful and folks are kind and gentle folks.
so i gather the places where in shootings occur in schools is SAFE????
The US State Department posts international travel warnings for a reason. Not just Mexico, yet Honduras, El Salvador, Venezuela, and Columbia to boot. So yes, I and other wise boaters take heed of their cogent and well-informed notices. You, senor, obviously have a unique arrangement, as well as unique use of the English language. Hats off -- I mean, sombreros off, to you, amigo.

Drug cartel beheadings, Federale corruption, shake downs, and murders, overall lawlessness, and fur sometimes found in chicken tacos informs me to now stay FAR away from your little corner of heaven with my nice yacht.

Cruise down to El Salvador and Honduras much? Won't see me there either.

The occasional bi-polar teen taking revenge at a high school? Small potatoes in comparison, amigo. Small potatoes, indeed.

Via con Dios! "Ole!"
Old 22-03-2015, 21:28   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Y'all might think I am nuts, but more people have been killed in the drug war in Mexico alone, than US soldiers killed in Vietnam. We clearly aren't winning the drug war.

The only solution to the problem of the drug-related violence created by the drug cartels in North, Central and South America, as I see it, is to legalize recreational drugs. Make heroin and cocaine available by doctor's prescription, so the doctor could monitor the user's health. Cannabis is becoming legal and the drug cartels aren't so interested in cannabis anyway.
Every once in awhile, I hear this outlandish statement of legalizing hard drugs. I was an adolescent councilor for a few years in another life. Trust me...you'll have a bigger problem than the cartel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The cartels are a product of the "war on drugs". If you want an example of what legalizing drugs can do look at Portugal. We could eliminate the violence of the cartels overnight by legalizing drugs and stopping the "war on drugs". That is unlikely because there is to much money involved, to much corruption, to much at stake for politicians, the military, DEA and Homeland Security as well as the drug "lords"
Basically I think the route of the problem is corruption. The cartel is protected by those in law enforcement for for more money than most of them have ever seen. It is very similar to the early days of organized crime with the likes of Al Capone and such. Half the cops in Chicago were on Capone's payroll.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico