Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 00:44   #106

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation

She is, I think, Moitessier' s spiritual daughter. I have noticed that she carries some of his characteristics. Watch her closely and you will feel the same. "Freebird" could indeed be a good one, but could count for many. Her "Nom de Voile" (like 'nom de plume') should be characterizing.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 00:47   #107

Boat: Tartan 30

she's much too responsible to be a moitessier
Old 27-12-2011, 00:50   #108

That' s why I used the word spiritual ....... and her wish to settle at some island as Whangaroa, NZ ........
Old 27-12-2011, 05:29   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
She is, I think, Moitessier' s spiritual daughter. I have noticed that she carries some of his characteristics. Watch her closely and you will feel the same. "Freebird" could indeed be a good one, but could count for many. Her "Nom de Voile" (like 'nom de plume') should be characterizing.
I was thinking the same thing myself. I think after her experience at sea she may not be fit for life on land or at least city life. Which is not always a bad thing IMO. Those of us who really take to being on boats sometimes have little patience with some of the nonsense that happens on land. From some of her posts I think she is heading in that direction. Who could blame her. The sea changes us all.
Old 27-12-2011, 05:51   #110

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Christmas, Laura style. She puts the SOUL into SOLO sailor. Got to love the attitude. From her web site..............

25-12-2011
We had a nice 20 knots wind today that pulled Guppy at a good 6,5 knots towards the horizon. My Christmas gift was the sun shining all day but the sky is getting cloudy again. Still I enjoyed having a day without heavy clouds and rain. Sadly, I cannot say the same about the waves... Even though they are no higher than three meters they are very steep and scome from the side... Anyway cooking a five course meal at sea is something of a challenge and in any case because of the sea conditions I'll just have to fall back on a very simple Christmas Dinner made out of canned food and that is fine with me - a simple Christmas is a great Christmas to me. This way I don't have to go visit the family and be sooo kind to everyone, I don't have to eat dinner, even a good one, if I don't feel like it just to be polite and what about all that talking, talking... Here Guppy is a very good listener and she never contradicts me ;-) , I can eat whatever and whenever I want, and I don't have to go for visits anywhere, but here with my little Christmas tree with its lights on, my Santa Claus cap and the Christmas garlands and all that is the perfect Christmas ambience for me anyway. :-D

laura
My kind of Xmas!
Old 27-12-2011, 06:01   #111
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ha! What makes you guys think she was fit for life in the dirt after her first years at sea?! The drive to be at sea is what started all this.

Well, it feels Iike just a couple of weeks ago that Laura was eating good old Dutch food (Indonesian really) aboard Jedi and now she's almost back again!

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 06:27   #112

So you know how to cook Indonesian? Well that's one of my favorites too. My former boss' wife came from S' pore and many times we had dinner in one of the famous Indonesian restaurants in The Hague.

No, I' m quite similar to Laura. My wife divorced me because I anchored close to the beach but didn't come ashore nor did I answer the VHF.
Reading, listening to Paganini played by Leonid the great Kogan and did that for almost a week.
After that she proposed two choices: her or the boat. Most possibly I made the wrong choice.
Old 27-12-2011, 06:29   #113
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
No, I' m quite similar to Laura. My wife divorced me because I anchored close to the beach but didn't come ashore nor did I answer the VHF.
Reading, listening to Paganini played by Leonid the great Kogan and did that for almost a week.
After that she proposed two choices: her or the boat. Most possibly I made the wrong choice.
If you had to think about it, then you made the right choice (IMO etc etc).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 07:40   #114

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
So you know how to cook Indonesian? Well that's one of my favorites too. My former boss' wife came from S' pore and many times we had dinner in one of the famous Indonesian restaurants in The Hague.

Reminds me of the famous quote from Moitessier:

“You have to choose between your life and a woman. And it’s got to be your life, doesn’t it?”
Old 27-12-2011, 08:33   #115

Frankly speaking, I should have sold the boat. But the boat was too good to be true and I got addicted to her. Worse than a drug-habit. She sailed like a dream - even under full rig in Bft 9 hit by a squall she did not yield but only a soft hissing from the rig. Entering IJmuiden huge waves had already build up (IJmuiden is notorious for that phenomena) until we reached the locks. On board was the one time winner of "Rondje Texel" and he admitted that he never experienced such a hefty ride.

I neglected my work and had to sell her eventually. She had drugged me entirely into her power.
Old 27-12-2011, 08:40   #116

Boat: too many

Changing the subject a bit (still about Laura), of the 3 countries she has citizenship with, which has the lowest personal income tax? I don't know about the rest of you, but if she includes at least a chapter about her battle with the Dutch government, I'm buying that book. New Zealand being her choice might just be for more than easy access to South Pacific island cruising.
Me thinks she be a business woman and solo sailor, don't you think?

As of 2005, personal income tax

New Zealand 21%
Netherlands 29%
France 34%

BTW Jedi, you and Steve Dashew think alike, Sundeer 64, what a boat!
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 09:22   #117

Income tax in Holland depends on your annual income. It is not a fixed percentage.
And yes, I think Laura might head that direction. She was already managing her own affairs long before she left and got sponsors on her own.

About her struggle with the Government, I have some detailed documents about that. My brother opposed me at collision course when he used my knowledge about marine affairs to inform the concerned Governmental party.
Let me put it this way: she had to fight the whole bureaucratic rataplan in Holland even the Navy informed the involved parties that in now way they would help her or protect her when she had plans to sail through the danger zone of the Bab el Mandeb / Hormuz
or similar areas. Very few people know this, but this is 1st hand info.
Old 27-12-2011, 10:04   #118
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
@MacG : all Dutch people can cook Indonesian

@deckofficer : thank you, I think that living on a boat designed by Steve & Linda Dashew makes you look at things the way they do haha

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 10:05   #119

More, more, MacG
Old 27-12-2011, 10:06   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
@MacG : all Dutch people can cook Indonesian

@deckofficer : thank you, I think that living on a boat designed by Steve & Linda Dashew makes you look at things the way they do haha

ciao!
Nick.
Do you also have a dedicated reverse pitch charging prop for battery charging underway?

Tags
circumnavigation