Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2009, 09:53   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Laura Dekker

Laura Dekker

“Laura has a great dream. She wants to be the youngest sailor to circumnavigate the world. Her preparations are in full swing, and there is a lot of work to be done! Laura is seeking sponsors to help she and her boat Guppy* gather all of the equipment and supplies they need, to prepare for their adventure.”

* Guppy is a Hurley 800

Laura’s Blog
English ➥ LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! - â—¦ Home â—¦

Or ➥
LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! - â—¦ Home â—¦

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 09:58   #2
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Laura Dekker

“Laura has a great dream. She wants to be the youngest sailor to circumnavigate the world. Her preparations are in full swing, and there is a lot of work to be done! Laura is seeking sponsors to help she and her boat Guppy* gather all of the equipment and supplies they need, to prepare for their adventure.”
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 10:19   #3

God speed, Laura Dekker!
Beverly Stayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 17:44   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
is she out of jail yet? She was locked up to prevent her going, removed from her parents and placed in state care.

I can't see a report that says she has been released yet.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 19:35   #5

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
is she out of jail yet? She was locked up to prevent her going, removed from her parents and placed in state care.
I had actually read that her mother recanted. She said she only "supported" her daughter because she threatened never to speak to her again, & that she would now rather have a live daughter who hates her than a dead one who loved her.

I really don't understand this kind of stunt. I mean, she's not old enough to vote, drink, smoke, have a full-time job, get married, or even live on her own. So why do people think she's mature enough to make a decision of life & death? Is it because she's sailing that it's somehow okay?

(no, I'm not saying the previous posts/posters here said that, just referring to other threads)
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 20:33   #6

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
I really don't understand this kind of stunt. I mean, she's not old enough to vote, drink, smoke, have a full-time job, get married, or even live on her own. So why do people think she's mature enough to make a decision of life & death? Is it because she's sailing that it's somehow okay?
I think it has a They Shoot Horses Don't They quality, a hard-times heroine-seeking Shirley Temple reenactment meme. To boot, there are a certain % of Stage Parents who may encourage their little prodigies to fill gaps or redress regrets in their own lives. When the bread gets scarce the circuses become all the more important. At the very least, there is a deep entertainment value and the promise of lessons about the ocean, both comedic and tragic. At 13 years old, Laura may just wish to get away from both her parents and get a little peace.

Old 21-10-2009, 20:50   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Having children does not make you into a competent parent.

Sailing alone across the English Channel does not make you into a competent circumnavigator.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 21:34   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Sailing alone across the English Channel does not make you into a competent circumnavigator.

Hey Dave, I dunno if sailing around the world would make me competent for a trans southern ocean passage during winter.

I know you have sailed in 50 kts as I watch your wind blown face on video up the Red Sea ... Do you think you are now competent to do a high latitude circumnavigation?

Also while you're at it, would you take Exit Only or would you get a purpose built boat?

Mark

Old 21-10-2009, 22:11   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Hey Dave, I dunno if sailing around the world would make me competent for a trans southern ocean passage during winter.

I know you have sailed in 50 kts as I watch your wind blown face on video up the Red Sea ... Do you think you are now competent to do a high latitude circumnavigation?

Also while you're at it, would you take Exit Only or would you get a purpose built boat?

Mark
Hi Mark,

In my mind, long-distance offshore sailing (circumnavigation) requires mental toughness. Every boat that I know who circumnavigated had at least one person on board who was mentally tough, and who could stand up to the big challenges that happen from time to time.

In my mind, a high latitude circumnavigation and high latitude sailing in winter require a higher degree of mental toughness than a milk run tradewind circumnavigation. But then that's just my opinion, and the way I run my mind.

I don't doubt that I could do a high latitude circumnavigation. I certainly question whether I would enjoy it. I lived in Saudi Arabia for sixteen years, and I really, really, really like hot weather, and I really, really, really dislike cold weather.

I don't think that Exit Only would be the optimum boat for a high latitude circumnavigation, but I think it could be safely done with the gear that I have on board. A larger catamaran with high bridgedeck clearance would be better for high latitude sailing. Even when ENZA New Zealand won the Jules Verne trophy for sailing around the world in under eighty days, they fractured the "God Pod" suspended between the two hulls from repeated impact of the seas when sailing at high speed.

If I took Exit Only around the world in the high latitudes, I would still do my 150 miles a day, and I would not hesitate to deploy a parachute sea anchor or drogue when things got over fifty knots. That being said, I never intend to sail in the high latitudes. I would like to sail back to Australia in the tradewinds once again. That would be awesome.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 22:41   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I don't think that Exit Only would be the optimum boat for a high latitude circumnavigation, .
As much as I love Sea Life I wouldnt take her for a high latitude long distance run. Theres a difference in being dashed around by 35 to 40 kt winds for a few days and being bashed around by them for a few months.

And, yes, I gotta agree with you about not liking fluffy slippers! I don't like the cold much! LOL

All the best

Mark

Old 22-10-2009, 02:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
I had actually read that her mother recanted. She said she only "supported" her daughter because she threatened never to speak to her again, & that she would now rather have a live daughter who hates her than a dead one who loved her...
Laura Dekker’s mother, Babs Müller, says her daughter is not ready for her planned sailing trip around the world, and that “It breaks my heart that doing this might lead to a break with my daughter. But I will have to accept the consequences. I’d rather have a living daughter that I will never see again, than a dead daughter.”

Laura's mother decides to oppose solo world trip | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Sailing Around the World at 13: How Young is Too Young?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6823984.ece

Old 22-10-2009, 14:58   #12

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
And, yes, I gotta agree with you about not liking fluffy slippers! I don't like the cold much! LOL
But fluffy slippers are the best defence against cold weather!

Thanks, Gord, that's the article I was thinking of- couldn't remember where I'd read it before.
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 17:19   #13

The best defence against cold weather is never going near it The sub-tropics get cold enough!
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 03:33   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Clourt to rule on protection

"Things are different now," Laura Dekker's lawyer Peter de Lange told AFP on Monday about concerns for her wellbeing.

Apparently, her father, Dick Dekker no longer “has a limited appreciation of the risks involved and overestimates her abilities.”

The court will rule today.

Court may block teen's solo sail attempt

Court may block teen's solo sail attempt

Old 17-06-2010, 05:14   #15

FFS!

It's obvious that this sort of lunacy will continue until we have 10 year olds going missing at sea.

Thinking about it, if I was the judge I would make it clear to the parents that if she dies in the attempt then they will be charged with manslaughter and neglect of a minor. See if that changes their minds.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote