Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2010, 12:27   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
The acquisition of wisdom isn't the only hallmark of adulthood. Children have physically underdeveloped brains.

The Teen Brain | Harvard Magazine Sep-Oct 2008
How does this affect her sailing ability?

The article hints that teenagers are not safety-aware enough. Yes often so. But everyone are not equal. Many adults do mistakes that are mentioned in the article. Like rear-ending other cars when driving.

Is Laura like it is described in the article? The court seems to have dropped their worries about seamanship.

Who knows her ability best, her parents and the court or anotherT34C ?
bengtinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 15:00   #77

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Teen brains may be less developed, but it is also true that the brain starts to deteriorate after age 21 - neurones progressively die off and are not replaced. In fact if you look at how IQ scores are worked out, the younger you are the higher the test score you need for a given IQ since younger people are inherently more intelligent than older ones.

Combining the two sets of information we might surmise that only people aged 20-21 should be allowed to do difficult things like sailing around the world. Or maybe it's all a fuss about very little.....
Old 24-07-2010, 15:09   #78

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Well, ohhh-kay then.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 01:38   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
The acquisition of wisdom isn't the only hallmark of adulthood. Children have physically underdeveloped brains.

The Teen Brain | Harvard Magazine Sep-Oct 2008
This article writes that some the physical characteristics that they have investigated develop one or two years earlier among teen girls than on teen boys.

Safety awareness is a very important aspect of seamanship, and it is known from other areas, like traffic that girls are more cautious than boys.

So why have we criticized the three girls, but much less Zac and Mike (there is so, I have checked old threads like http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...e-20654-2.html) ?

A prejudice is usually heavily emphasised if there is a hint of evidence that it is correct, even if there is more evidence that it is wrong.

This could be seen in the case of Abby. There is a prejudice that young girls, for example she, can't sail alone. She sailed alone halfway around the world, including around Cape Horn, and then she lost the mast. Conclusion, she can't sail.
bengtinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 09:20   #80

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Perhaps it might be well to actually read what she has to say about the project and the problems with the court. To me she sounds quite capable, court opinion not withstanding.

LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! - â—¦ News â—¦
Old 25-07-2010, 10:42   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Perhaps it might be well to actually read what she has to say ...
LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! - â—¦ News â—¦
The overall impression from her blog entries, well I think it is not an exaggeration to say that Laura is seeing red, in many more ways than one!
Old 27-07-2010, 07:40   #82

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
The judge decided Laura can go on her sailing trip provided her parents still agree.
Read all about here: SpitsNieuws : Laura gaat rond de wereld zeilen and here: http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/7...trekken__.html.

If you do not speak Dutch you can translate it using Google translate.

Laura will start her trip in two weeks. Good for Laura!

Eric
Old 27-07-2010, 09:21   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
Laura will start her trip in two weeks.
Since I'm kind of on a roll, I predict that this is one of those sailing deadlines which will actually be met. If the boat needs further refit, she can do it in England or France. Laura wants to get out of Holland as quickly as possible.

If nothing else, the protracted court case has given her a huge boost in support. Fair Winds, Laura.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 09:46   #84

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
OK, I got that, but how about the same capability on the Portal Page? Is that possible? Thanks

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 09:53   #85

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
14 seems so young, I know I could never willingly let my kids go, however I know my kids sailing abilities and they aren't up to what is needed for this kind of trip.

Laura has already proven she will do just about anything to go, running away from home etc. So now that it is up to her parents, I think they need to support her make sure she has the boat fit properly and the support and safety equipment needed.

Safe journey Laura

She0
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:09   #86

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
From her blog, it appears she is doing a fair amount of the refitting work herself with the assistance of riggers and such, so she appears to be getting good practical experience--probably more knowledge of how things on her boat works compared to the average teenage motorist's knowledge of how their car works.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:11   #87

I think it's great news that she can go, her plan is to set off in two weeks, first port of call would be Portugal which is her official starting point and obviously a good jumping off point for crossing the Atlantic. I suspect she will take a similar route to Mike Perham who IIRC at the same age took the crossing in stages via islands on the way. Remember this is not a non-stop voyage, unlike Jessica and Abby she can head into port any time she has concerns about the weather ahead of her.

Some good English language links to today's news story:

Dutch sailor, 14, gets OK for solo world trip | The Jakarta Post

Dutch court approves teen's solo sail (The Age)
Old 28-07-2010, 06:20   #88

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Some more news. The Dutch authorities will not appeal (geen beroep) the latest ruling: 'Geen beroep in zaak Laura' - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]. Again sorry about the Dutch message but it's all I can find.

Looks like she really will be leaving within the next couple of weeks.

Eric
Old 28-07-2010, 08:02   #89

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
Teen brains may be less developed, but it is also true that the brain starts to deteriorate after age 21...
While the brain reaches maximum volume at about 21, it doesn't stop developing. Grey matter develoment peaks in the 20s, but white matter develops well into the 40s. Studies show the continued growth of the frontal and temporal lobes can be associated with the emotional develoment, improved problem solving and wisdom that comes with age.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 13:35   #90

There's a good in depth article about Laura's boat, the Jeanneau Gin Fizz here:
Sailing Magazine | Jeanneau Gin Fizz