Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 08:35   #1

Launching the hull of what is to be the biggest square rigged sailship to sail the se

I was at the shipyard today to see the launch of the Flying Clipper. Here's a short video of the launch.

Scurvy_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 13:10   #2

Re: Launching the hull of what is to be the biggest square rigged sailship to sail th

Too bad they are going bigger. Had a fabulous week on the Star Clipper. Always thought the Royal Clipper was getting too big. This looks twice that size....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 14:06   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Launching the hull of what is to be the biggest square rigged sailship to sail th

We liked Royal Clipper slightly more than both Star Clipper and Star Flyer. IIRC, we were told on our last trip that the new ship would be "slightly" larger than Royal Clipper... but I don't remember whether we heard LOA or other actual details.

Think it's supposed to carry about 300 pax... compared to 230-ish for Royal Clipper and 170-ish for the two smaller ships.

-Chris
Old 10-06-2017, 14:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We liked Royal Clipper slightly more than both Star Clipper and Star Flyer. IIRC, we were told on our last trip that the new ship would be "slightly" larger than Royal Clipper... but I don't remember whether we heard LOA or other actual details.

Think it's supposed to carry about 300 pax... compared to 230-ish for Royal Clipper and 170-ish for the two smaller ships.

-Chris
LOA is 162m, beam 18,5m
Old 11-06-2017, 08:27   #5

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy_pirate View Post
LOA is 162m, beam 18,5m
think this is what the finished product will look like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clipper.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	149731  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy_pirate View Post
LOA is 162m, beam 18,5m
The "STAR of INDIA" is floating in San Diego and still is sea worthy.
It is an all IRON British built vessel launched in 1838.
It was used in the Great Brittan to Australia trade until the early 1900's.
It is 277' long, I expect it was just a run of the mill vessel in the height of the sailing commercial trade.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 23:40   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

They do say that if you wait long enough everything comes back into fashion. Maybe we will see a return t commercial sail as fuel becomes more expensive and dificult to get?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:15   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
They do say that if you wait long enough everything comes back into fashion. Maybe we will see a return t commercial sail as fuel becomes more expensive and dificult to get?
That would be nice, but I don't think it's the economics driving this build. Last time I checked, you pay a premium for booking a cruise on one of these, rather than one of the ugly, floating Soviet-era apartment blocks that most cruise lines are running these days.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:17   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That would be nice, but I don't think it's the economics driving this build. Last time I checked, you pay a premium for booking a cruise on one of these, rather than one of the ugly, floating Soviet-era apartment blocks that most cruise lines are running these days.

Yes, they're not inexpensive.

I don't know that it's a "premium" though; their cruises just cost what they cost, and the lower level staterooms aren't really in the arm-and-leg-and-firstborn category. More expensive than a 7-day stay in a Holiday Inn Express, maybe less expensive than (or at least competitive with) a 7-day stay in a Hyatt Regency.

And the service has always been hovering near 7-8 stars... out of 5...

-Chris
Old 17-06-2017, 03:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
The "STAR of INDIA" is floating in San Diego and still is sea worthy.
It is an all IRON British built vessel launched in 1838.
It was used in the Great Brittan to Australia trade until the early 1900's.
It is 277' long, I expect it was just a run of the mill vessel in the height of the sailing commercial trade.
I looked her up shes lovely. 277' is around 84m. It's nice to see old sailships still getting the love they deserve.

Tags
hull, sail, sails