Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 18:57   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
La Vagabonde's new Trimaran

Finally announced.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 20:39   #2

Re: La Vagabonde's new Trimaran

As a parent - the split design will be interesting with young ones.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 23:39   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Seems like a lot of lost space. Feel that would be very much needed for a full time cruising couple with kids.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 00:25   #4

They make their choices, but I wonder how much this will resonate with their viewers.

My first impression was that the living-space looked like any any 48' Beneteau or Bavaria. Nothing special. Seems the concept is to stick two amas onto such a hull to make it 12m wide for bonus marina costs and severe headaches finding a yard able to haul it out.

As racers Elayna and Riley aren't really star-material and that never was their appeal to the audience. Perhaps this is cunning plan to move away from the bikini-lifestyle once there are two children around and instagram-ing now needs a triple dose of filters to achieve the desired reality.

This leaves the Oh-We're-So-Wonderfully-Electric narrative, which I never cared for much. I respect more Uma or Rigging Doctors for retrofitting a small boat to electric drive.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:15   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

I for one love their choice of boat. There is so little information about cruising trimarans out there, they will get a lot more people interested. And as long as they like their living space why would we care?

Plus a fully electric long-distance cruising trimaran running circles around all the old-school diesel catamarans with "range anxiety" will be fun to watch.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:14   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

It’s obvious their choice wasn’t about living accommodations but about performance. Good choice for them.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:20   #7

are they getting the 50 or the 60?

I honestly doubt they will be all that much faster average passage speed in the 50 (than currently). t

and has he solo sailed a 60 with this sail size? It is rather a jump up in sail handling. It was obvious when they sailed with Nikki Henderson that Riley was not really a large boat performance sailor - ofc he could grow into it.

Interesting choice either way - not what I would have guessed with a 2nd child on the way. I wonder if there is some 'Riley with pro' passage making in the future with Elayna and kids flying in.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:41   #8

In his video he said 50 or 60, but from other sources I've read 60.

Obviously it's easy to criticize but they made what they feel is the best choice for them. For me, having kids, I would rather not have to walk outside through the cockpit to get to them.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:48   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Not ideal for kids and a growing family. I've owned and sailed tris for the last 20 years, and I love the boat they chose, but not for a family cruising with toddlers and babies. I also raised kids and know what it's like to keep the family involved and safe.

If they have a MOB while sailing at speed (Reilly's notorious for not tethering) and whoever is left has to handle kids and boat while watching/locating and retrieving the MOB? Terrifying thoughts.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:55   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Not ideal for kids and a growing family. I've owned and sailed tris for the last 20 years, and I love the boat they chose, but not for a family cruising with toddlers and babies. I also raised kids and know what it's like to keep the family involved and safe.

If they have a MOB while sailing at speed (Reilly's notorious for not tethering) and whoever is left has to handle kids and boat while watching/locating and retrieving the MOB? Terrifying thoughts.

Don't like saying this, but IMHO a stupid choice for their situation in life.

To play devils advocate, the faster you sail the less chance you have of an MOB as you will spend less time sailing?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:57   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

A higher performing boat is also likely a better fit for electric propulsion, as it can likely be sailed during more of the times when others would resort to motorsailing or just motoring.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:00   #12

Boat: Colegate 26

I'm really curious to see what they do for electrical systems and power generation. They have a paltry amount of solar and battery on the catamaran but seem to make it work. Using it for propulsion is going to take copious amounts more power.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:23   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

In the video Riley would say his concern is about safety but repeatedly mentioned speed. With a wife and two kids on board I'm not sure the speed factor should have ever been considered. If speed was not a factor, why not just go with a larger Cat. Larger interior with a little more speed.

Basically this thing takes up twice as much real estate on the water with 1/2 as much interior volume. Even though Riley said 30% less. Parking at the dock will be more difficult.

Given his
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:32   #14

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
To play devils advocate, the faster you sail the less chance you have of an MOB as you will spend less time sailing?

Very faulty logic. I would say MOB is directly tied to distance sailed. Getting there faster doesn't decrease the risk, and in fact may increase it if that faster speed means less control.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:39   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

The 60 is 38' wide. There are very few places to dock a vessel that wide, and finding a yard capable of hauling a 38' wide vessel will be challenging. Heck the fairways in my marina is barely that wide at certain points.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran