Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2023, 18:26   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Karen picking on boat names!

Probably wouldn't like NFLDClick image for larger version

Name:	Offended.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	275838

I do shake my head at some attempts at "cute" boat names. Some do not inspire a lot of confidence in the owners ability to navigate/interact sanely...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NFLD.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	275837  
Old 26-05-2023, 01:32   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

I motored past a yacht today that was called Pogue Mahone. It made me laugh and wondered if I should be offended because I am being told to "Kiss my arse" in a foreign language. LOL, but seriously it's all in good fun. I definitely think a name like Hooters IV is a bust.
Ann a male Karen is usually called a Ken. Both seem to behave badly from the YouTube clips my kids have shown me.
Mike for me I am not sure what an offensive name would be. The article mentions Screaming Seaman as offensive. But I have seen my fair share of those, maybe the owner is hot tempered and bad at docking. Big Black C....K is just stupid. If it was changed to Black Caulk then I could understand the name. Black Caulk goes everywhere when you use it. That's why the wife and I prefer white caulk. Much easier to clean up afterwards.
Cheers
Old 26-05-2023, 04:18   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Karen picking on boat names!

Never feel offended by a boats name..
Just sorry for the boat that has to bear it and a sure pointer towards the owners mentality.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 26-05-2023, 05:10   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I have my own opinions as to what constitutes a worthy boat name, but that's not the issue here. What struck me was how the club is in a bind. They depend on some sort government funding. Karen whines to the government because she's offended. Government and club are forced to self-sensor to avoid losing revenue and votes. Everyone is worse off, even though maybe Karen thinks she's won. Until she says something which offends Ken. And the cycle continues.

Now about those stupid boat names, I'm afraid I do agree with Karen on that point. But it's still not our job to enforce our opinions on others. And if those names are consistent with local traditions, then I totally support them.

I know of a club (social, not yacht) which is facing eviction from a municipal building they've rented and maintained for decades, because it's a (gasp!) men's club. I'm not a member, but the members I know are good, decent people and the club raises money for local charities and such. I can't help but wonder if a women's club would face the same scrutiny.
Old 26-05-2023, 05:30   #20

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Ann makes excellent points, as did Mike in that we don’t have a right to not be offended, The sorts of names in question on boats, in this case, can be clever, but in many cases is what I would call showing a lack of maturity or sophomoric humor and puts the owners in less than a bright light, as it were. Folk grow up with certain societal behaviors, and assume they are acceptable, and some folk are rarely self introspective enough to realize that those behaviors they grew up with are less appropriate as time goes by, some grasp this, some never will.

Fair winds,
Old 26-05-2023, 06:30   #21

Boat: Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never feel offended by a boats name..
Just sorry for the boat that has to bear it and a sure pointer towards the owners mentality.
This is exactly how I feel about it.
Old 26-05-2023, 07:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
• For those of us who immediately roll our eyes at this woman; what would offend you? Everyone has lines. What would an offensive name be for you? And would everyone agree? (I doubt it).
I've seen boat names that I find offensive, and lots and lots of boat names that I think are puerile and sophomoric. The difference is that I roll my eyes and get on with my life. I don't feel any need to rail against such names, as this person apparently does.

Nothing wrong with being offended by something. The problem is when you think it is the obligation of OTHERS to rid the world of anything and everything that offends YOU.
Old 26-05-2023, 07:45   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

What an adolescent thread. I've spent my life working in refineries, so you won't shock me, but I've also lived with a lot of adolescence, which most of us outgrow by 14. It becomes boring by 15.

The real tests of a boat name are:
  • Will it become troubling over time, like a tattoo? Don't name it for a girlfriend or anything embarrassing.
  • Can it be easily understood over the radio? Double meanings can be poor this way. Can you say it three times fast without a tung tangle?
  • Is it profane? Some are obvious. I did not say offensive, because that is more complicated. But still.
A name can be fun, but first and foremost, it should be practical. Do you really feel good about telling the woman at the marina desk that your boat is called "him a laying women" and then having to spell it out? You should be embarrassed for yourself for being ... 14. She will feel sorry for you before she feels shocked.

And the rest of us will see you for the powerboater that you are.
Old 26-05-2023, 08:20   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Some people seem to be clueless when it comes to the consequences of choosing a boat name. I remember easily clearing customs in South Florida back in the 70's where I was docked next to a boat that was being thoroughly searched by customs agents. The captain of the detained vessel was complaining that he was always detained when returning to the US. As we backed away from the dock I noticed the name of his vessel was "THE DEALER"!
Old 26-05-2023, 08:22   #25

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

and/also....what about the town of Dildo, Newfoundland, Canada? there are about 1000 people in this area that have been there since the 1700's. i'm sure this town has a plethora of boat names to either please or offend depending on whatever perspective a visitor may have.
Old 26-05-2023, 08:54   #26

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Despite the owners of such boats being perhaps a little lacking all the above names are for the most part innocent fun and anyone offended should be reminded of how depraved their mind must be for thinking otherwise.
Old 26-05-2023, 09:21   #27

Offense is a subjective feeling.
Old 26-05-2023, 10:15   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Nothing wrong with being offended by something. The problem is when you think it is the obligation of OTHERS to rid the world of anything and everything that offends YOU.
Yes, that's a good way of putting it. Yet we seem to be in era where this kind of behaviour is becoming the norm. This boat name anecdote is but one puerile example. But the drive to control what others say and think seems to be growing deeper with each passing year.

Just look at all the calls to silence speakers, to stop public displays, to block performances... And perhaps most insidiously of all, the huge increase in calls to ban all manner of books, and even to punish libraries who stand up to the mob of bullies.

We are into an era where many people are not only easily offended, but use that as justification to force others to conform to their views.

ADD: On second thought, perhaps we're just returning to the more long-term norm.
Old 26-05-2023, 11:12   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Boats are suppose to be FUN

so YOU should get to have fun in naming your boat

There is absolutely no way to NOT offend the Karens of the world. I am not allowed in another forum to use the phase "boat scum" anymore because a Karen complained, just ONE Karen, because they found the word scum too offensive. Meanwhile at Disney World this weekend, the Happiest Place in the World, the Star Wars ride called all of us Resistance Scum and no one got upset.
Old 26-05-2023, 14:39   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, I think it is the use of the internet and social media which has brought the bullying into such strong activity.....However, must say we're getting a long way from boats and cruising now, so better to get back on track and stay with what we're good at.

Ann

Tags
boat, boat names