Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 09:03   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Junk-Rigged and Doing the NW Passage

I just picked up this news article about a 20 something year old couple from Australia doing the norhtwest passage in a junk rigged boat.

They have a great designed website/blog.

What intriques me is when you look at their current positioin, and then think of the time of year, whether they can in fact make it out of the north before the ice freezes over again.

Or are they following the footsteps of Franklin?
Old 17-09-2011, 09:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Junk rigged and doing the NW passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I just picked up this news article about a 20 something year old couple from Australia doing the norhtwest passage in a junk rigged boat.

They have a great designed website/blog.

What intriques me is when you look at their current positioin, and then think of the time of year, whether they can in fact make it out of the north before the ice freezes over again.

Or are they following the footsteps of Franklin?
I don't think they plan on getting through this year. The article says they hope to be in Alaska by the end of next summer. I've read accounts of other people doing it this way as well, since ice out is a very short period at best and arriving in Alaska in the fall isn't going to help your cause much anyway.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here it is on their website:
2011 May - Oct: Finish getting Teleport ready - install Radar, wind turbine, solar panel, overhaul engine, etc, then sail the first half of the Northwest Passage - head up along the coast of Greenland, then wind our way through the arctic archipelago - that tangled mess of islands - stopping eventually at Cambridge Bay on Victoria Island - approx half way through the passage. (Happening right now!)
2012 May - Oct: Sail the second half of the Northwest Passage - Drag her back into the water at Cambridge Bay, Vicoria Island, and carry onwards to the west, to Alaska.

Old 17-09-2011, 09:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I saw that after I posted; guess I should have read more before spreading the news

I do find it interesting that they feel their unstayed junk rigged boat is a better solution then more traditional rigging (albiet one could argue that junk rigged is very traditional and goes back eons).

They do suggest it is better used in smaller boats; I can't imagine the stresses an unstayed mast would have on a larger one.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:37   #5

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Junk-Rigged and Doing the NW Passage

The loads are less,masts are shorter,sheets go to every batten.You can put shrouds on to reduce whip,as some do.Many large traditional seagoing junks plyed the oceans long before conventional rigs existed.Got me thinking,Cambridge Bay is destined to become a major boating centre for 2 months a year.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

I do find it interesting that they feel their unstayed junk rigged boat is a better solution then more traditional rigging (albiet one could argue that junk rigged is very traditional and goes back eons).

They do suggest it is better used in smaller boats; I can't imagine the stresses an unstayed mast would have on a larger one.
We know them. Nice folks and lovely to see some 'young people' out. More 'adventurers' than 'sailors'

They were given the boat (for free), so the junk rig was not really a specific choice they made.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:54   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

new some folk sin a home built--beautiful--junk rigged aluminum schooner from pnw--sailed pacific ocean south and north-- good folks., looks like junk rig, which they CHOSE because of its ease in handling, is a decent choice for cruising short handed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 10:05   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see them regularily here in the PNW. In part I think because a well known artist and boat builder named Allen Farrell built and sailed a boat named China Cloud here. They do very well in both light and heavy winds and are easy to handle but don't point well. A saw a nice junk rigged ketch around last week, a good sized one.

Old 17-09-2011, 10:13   #9

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Lot's of Colvin Junks in the PNW,Greenwich Yachts built my dads hull,we sailed it to Mex. and back.I am interested in moving up to a metal hull junk rig in the 44' range,after all they are all just motorsailers anyway.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote