Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 16:07   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot's Away View Post
Yes - but he's 30 with presumably a swag of resources behind him, and she was a 16 year old with nothing, who pursued her dream and hunted down sponsorship to achieve it. He also had a crew - "de Rothschild and his crew—including skippers Jo Royle and Dave Thomson, and Heyerdahl’s grandson, Olav" - Jess was on her own all the way ............
If you are going to vote for Jessica Watson as the National Geographic Adventurer of the Year you have to do it from this page not from the page with Jessica's details. A successful vote gives you a red vote box with a tick. You can vote once in a 24 hour period. A vote every day till 15 January.
Would I be wrong in thinking your a 'Jessie' Groupie....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
The risk vs reward is too great.

For anyone attempting a solo non-stop or just anyone under [enter age]?
Coot's Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:09   #48

Boat: William Atkin Cutter
You are right OZ! Still, I voted for her. I had many concerns from the beginning too, and still carry them concerning future attempts of this nature.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:12   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Would I be wrong in thinking your a 'Jessie' Groupie....
Why the confused face? Don't know if I'd call myself a "groupie" but I followed with interest, and I do think there is a difference in the achievement which is why I responded to hummingway.
Old 08-12-2010, 16:22   #50

Anyway - Jessica may have been only 16 and she may be only 17 now, but she is a sailor with a love of sailing - "rumour" has it she's doing the Pittwater to Coffs Race shorthanded division in Jan 2011 with Scott Cavanough on his Mini. This appears to be the start of a build up campaign for a future event .............
Old 08-12-2010, 16:26   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot's Away View Post
Why the confused face? Don't know if I'd call myself a "groupie" but I followed with interest, and I do think there is a difference in the achievement which is why I responded to hummingway.
Just messing...
I thought she did pretty damn well too... damn sight better than I've ever done...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 00:02   #52
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just messing...
I thought she did pretty damn well too... damn sight better than I've ever done...
+1...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 00:45   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I see that she is not capable of crewing on the Hobart - too young to be a crew member. Idiots. They prattled out the usual - after the 1998 tragedy - blah blah blah as an excuse for the rule about no one under 18. Funny but of the six who were tragically lost on that race, I think the youngest was in his 30s

Strange strange people the CYCA.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looking at it from the point-of-view of the organizers of the Sydney-Hobart, just imagine if another tragedy occurred and one of the victims was Jessica Watson, a national heroine, and she had been granted a waiver of the age restriction to participate. They would be accused of putting her in harm's way for their own greedy self-interest - using her status to promote their race.

The Sydney-Hobart would forever be known as the race that victimized Jessica Watson - it would probably cease to exist. In addition, the liability that could be attached to the organizing committee for allowing a minor to participate in spite of the age restriction could ruin the members of the committee personally, as well as the CYCA.

Why take the chance?
Old 09-12-2010, 14:32   #55

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Looking at it from the point-of-view of the organizers of the Sydney-Hobart, just imagine if another tragedy occurred and one of the victims was Jessica Watson, a national heroine, and she had been granted a waiver of the age restriction to participate. They would be accused of putting her in harm's way for their own greedy self-interest - using her status to promote their race.

The Sydney-Hobart would forever be known as the race that victimized Jessica Watson - it would probably cease to exist. In addition, the liability that could be attached to the organizing committee for allowing a minor to participate in spite of the age restriction could ruin the members of the committee personally, as well as the CYCA.

Why take the chance?
Tao, you are spot on here... and it is a truly sad commentary on our society that these sorts of worries drive so many decisions.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW oz, southbound
Old 09-12-2010, 15:03   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
See - thats not the point in my humble view. The point is - why is the age restriction there at all when there is no history of disaster with young sailors. Its all about understanding the science of Risk Management. And the CYCA clearly doesnt understand this. If you were going to use age as a yardstick, surely the older folk present a bigger risk. They permit disable sailors (as they should) they permit very old sailors (as they should) they permit people with limited experince (as they should), but they dont permit young people irrespective of their qualifications.

Doesnt make sense to me.

Any way - I am sure she will cope without the CYCA.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 15:55   #57
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
The risk vs reward is too great.
That would probably define all ocean going small boat journeys

Quote:
but they dont permit young people irrespective of their qualifications.

Doesnt make sense to me.
its naive to think like that, gradually though the 20 century we have "valued" children more, we no longer send then down mines or to sea at age 8. etc. Hence socitey , in general views under 18s as children, especally "western developed society".

Thats why we "ban" children from potenially dangerous events, its to do with coal mines et al.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 16:43   #58

The risk outweighs the reward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I am a proud Aussie and watched her trip intently the whole time. I have watched the DVD and have seen her success and all the accolades- i have even heard her talk in the flesh. Well done to her. BUT! I still don't think she should have done it. The risk vs reward is too great.

Where does it stop. With a two year old?

Cheers
Oz
I agree! I watched her blog during her journey and I am so happy she made it, however...things could have played out much differently. Where does it stop? great question....!!
Old 10-12-2010, 18:11   #59

Boat: Traditional 30
At 18, in Aus, these kids become adults from a legal standpoint. About the only restriction on their lives is what speeds they can drive a car. From that legal standpoint it means they make their own decision whether to sail or not.

I only slightly agree with Sailors with Disabilities comment. However, these people are mature adults who can make educated decisions about their lives. They can also sail rings around most of us here. Remembering, they won Div A in the 98 Hobart. What they may lack in limbs or senses, they counter with knowledge and perseverance. They also have the maturity to risk assess the tasks at hand. As we all know, teenagers rank fairly poorly when it comes to risk assesment. Just look at their driving

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 11:45   #60

Boat: Seafarer 26
I voted for her. I catch part of her blog while she was doing it. Quite amazing for a young girl. I was aleady quite impresses with her courage when i actually read her book. I really did not expect much from a 16 year old but was i ever floored. This girl did it herself. I am talking washing dishes to pay for training hours offshore while at the same time being laser focused on how to acheive her goal. Can you even imagine hard working and laser focused at 14? She has my vote.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica watson