Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 23:25   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hurricane Newton Hits Baja California (Cabo San Lucas) Sept 6 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
And even better after his fried shrimp, beers, and a shot or two or Don Julio!
I'm not sure I have seen anyone as enthusiastic as Ted in regards to rebuilding Anna, a 90 year old 60 foot John Alden yawl. The job is daunting. I think he has been in that yard a long time. He's like the energizer bunny.
By the way...looks like Newton is vering a little more north, than first anticipated. Good news.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 23:31   #17

On weather underground, I'm seeing winds ESE 29 gusting 77.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-09-2016, 09:14   #18

All seems quiet. I think it past 60 miles north. Looking for information now as to how the yards in Guaymas and San Carlos fared.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:46   #19

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
All seems quiet. I think it past 60 miles north. Looking for information now as to how the yards in Guaymas and San Carlos fared.
Hey everyone.
People on Facebook are starting to post pics from the Guaymas Fonatur docks. Its not pretty. Search for Guaymas on Facebook and Im sure you will find them.
The docks are destroyed and reports are that seven boats have sunk. Our friends on Chanty and Flying Sideways are hopefully ok although I dont see either of their boats. Masts still seem to be upright in the yard.... Hopefully mine is one of them.
Broken boats can be dealt with, I just hope everyone is OK
Post here if you know anything else
Thanks
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:38   #20

Thanx for the update. Do you have a link to that Facebook page about Guaymas?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:40   #21

Just got an update from Marina Fonatur Guaymas. The docks have been destroyed and 5 boats sank but all boats on the hard fared fine. Miraculously nobody was hurt, in fact the manager hadn't heard of any serious injuries in Guaymas or San Carlos.
I have seen a few pictures of Marina Seca Guaymas and it looks like at least a couple of boats have fallen over there. Canvas left on boats seems to be a major contributing factor.
Guaymas was hit very hard and there seems to be lots of property damage. Our thoughts are with all the residents.
Gary
Old 07-09-2016, 11:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thanx for the update. Do you have a link to that Facebook page about Guaymas?
I just got on Facebook yesterday to track the storm.... I'd grab the pics and post them here but that is above my pay grade....
There also seems to be conflicting reports as to whether the fallen boats are in Marina Seca Guaymas, Marina Seca San Carlos or both...
https://www.facebook.com/search/latest/?q=guaymas

Gary
Old 07-09-2016, 15:36   #23

Boat: Skookum 47

Just had a phone conversation with one the yard guys in Marina Guaymas. He couldn't get into the yard but did a drive by and say boats toppled in the secondary yard. I didn't get a number because our connection wasn't great, but it sucks nonetheless. It seems some boats still had sails on their furlers, and looks as though they came undone and blew over.

I am also getting reports that Werner - older German gent with a dog that rides in the sidecar - lost his boat on the rocks. He is alive and being tended to, although I am unsure of his condition beyond that.

Heartfelt sympathies go out to those that are dealing with damages/loss. My heart has been in my throat all day, but I finally got word my boat is upright. I am breathing a huge sigh of relief, but still need to get a better handle on possible damages to solar panels & etc.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 16:00   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

guaymas had issues with fornatur marina--it kinda broke apart a lil bit. i am surprised as it is a fairly new marina.
5-7 boats in formatur went down with the marina breakage.
prep dont mean squat if marina breaks apart--that kinda changes the game a whole lot.
some on hard got re arranged--looks like the blue and white ones suffered more than the red and white ones.. we see what the actuality is after folks check in. ..

OHHNOOO i know werner..he is a character. sorry he lost that awesome huge boat. it was fitted out nice.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 16:11   #25

seems some folks died in guaymas... or thereabouts, on board a boat shrimper, with 5 persons on board. 3 disappeared, 2 bodies found. mariano perez x was name of boat.
"¡Cobra primeras victimas Huracán Newton! ¡Tragedia en el Mar de Cortéz! Se hunde Barco camaronero con 5 personas abordo, se dirigía a Guaymas: Ya han rescatados dos cuerpos, 3 pescadores están desaparecidos, se dificultan labores de rescate. El Barco lleva por nombre "Mariano Pérez X".
El barco, logró ser localizado este martes por la mañana, volcado, en la playa Las Barrancas, entre La Ribera y Cabo Pulmo; ahí mismo, cerca de ese sitió, se encontraron 2 cadáveres, de quienes al parecer eran parte de la tripulación; todavía continúan desparecidas otras 2 personas."
Old 07-09-2016, 16:13   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

You just have to wonder why people would leave sails on furlers and main booms when leaving the boat for hurricane season IN Hurricane territory? That's just trouble waiting to happen.

It's horrible to hear boats were lost and and even worse is the reported loss of the Mexican fishermen....muy malo.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 16:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
Just had a phone conversation with one the yard guys in Marina Guaymas. He couldn't get into the yard but did a drive by and say boats toppled in the secondary yard. I didn't get a number because our connection wasn't great, but it sucks nonetheless. It seems some boats still had sails on their furlers, and looks as though they came undone and blew over.

I am also getting reports that Werner - older German gent with a dog that rides in the sidecar - lost his boat on the rocks. He is alive and being tended to, although I am unsure of his condition beyond that.

Heartfelt sympathies go out to those that are dealing with damages/loss. My heart has been in my throat all day, but I finally got word my boat is upright. I am breathing a huge sigh of relief, but still need to get a better handle on possible damages to solar panels & etc.
I just received an email from Pepper, a private worker in Gabriels yard. He told me that he was unable to get in (I don't know why) but said my boat was still upright. He had just watered up my batteries the week before. I also heard that Fonatur lost 5 boats and the docks have been destroyed.
I met Werner in the yard last year. He was just launching after years in the yard. He had a Vespa with a sidecar.
I've been up since yesterday trying to figure out if "Joli Elle" was ok. All I could think of is all the work I have put into her and how safe I always felt aboard her and now this. I was ok with any outcome but I'm happy it was this one.
Old 07-09-2016, 16:27   #28

Thanks Zee for the pictures. The 4th one of the yard is where my boat is. If the photographer had panned 50 more feet to the right, I would have seen my boat. I'm down there in 5 weeks. Hopefully everything will be cleaned up. This has been a good lesson for me on many levels. My thoughts and prayers go out to them who lost their life and others who lost their beloved dreams.
Old 07-09-2016, 16:30   #29

i met werner in ensenada.. interesting dude.
more pix of guaymas area
folks donot understand why i donot go up the sea in summer..this is why, it is a boat trap. as unholy as patricia was with 215 mph steady winds, i wholly believe barra de navidad is the best place for summering in mexico. mazatlan also works. but the soc-- definitive boat trap. no place to go . by the time you know it will hit fan. it is too late to get to safety , which is out of the sea. dang.
the pic with the fuji or cabo rico or mariner with blue stripe and red boat leaning over--i hope that is not flyscis boat, the red one.
cannpt quite read the name on the columbia 40 or 45 on rocks.....
Old 07-09-2016, 16:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You just have to wonder why people would leave sails on furlers and main booms when leaving the boat for hurricane season IN Hurricane territory? That's just trouble waiting to happen.

It's horrible to hear boats were lost and and even worse is the reported loss of the Mexican fishermen....muy malo.
You bring up another lesson for me that perhaps you didn't think about...Next time I haul out I would refuse to go into a slot with a vessel that had their jib on a furler.

I would never have thought of it if you hadn't pointed that out and Zee's pictures.

Tags
baja, cal, california, hurricane