Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 17:12   #61
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Human Slobs

Bottle caps are the worse. Kills a TON of birdlife. ex Palmyra Atoll and that southern part is a concentrator.

Drowning in plastic: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is twice the size of France - Telegraph

Sailors for the Sea | Protecting the Environment | nonprofit organization
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 17:18   #62

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I confess... while I never use disposable as a matter of course... aboard I leave a stack of the cheapest plainest thin paper plates for Himself to use... They biodegrade and compost and make keeping the galley clean while I am not there manageable...

And to his credit he has learned to keep his damned butts collected and in the trash... He collects them back up in the carton till he gets to a trash can... As I pointed out to him (and numerous other smokers over the years) there IS no cigarette fairy to follow along pickin the things up...
Indeed a well trained man.

In reality most smokers are not as well trained.

Just watch any smoker in a few different environments and see what they do with their butts. Have some over in your backyard for a barby and check out the butts in your garden.

I say ban smoking as most smokers and indeed literers are not well enough trained.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 17:31   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
..... and even worse is I do toss a butt over- board more often that I like to admit.
BUTT due to this post I promise I will stop doing this. It just never dawned on me
AND MY APOLOGIES TO EVERYONE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN OFFENDED BY MY BUTTS!!!!!!!!!!
This post is serious and I am not being a wise ass!!!!!!!
Good on you!

Reminds years ago I went hunting with a friend. He was notorious for throwing the cellophane, the tin foil and the empty packs into the bush. I would religiously pick them up.

At first he made fun of me; at the end of the week HE was picking up other peoples garbage and complaining what pigs they were.

He made me proud
Old 12-07-2011, 17:45   #64
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Whimsey I won't take offence to your posts. My arguments ate that laws are enacted by society to further the greater good principle. Most of the time they work OK. We need a greater good process as history has shown that humans consume endlessly and do not act for the greater good. In the EU now as a result of popular pressure and scientific concerns we have a raft of mandatory recycling rules and processes. These rules are in general well supported.

Dave
Old 12-07-2011, 17:55   #65

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'm actually impressed by how good we are. Sad is the remains. If you anchor in Baltimore harbor you can retrieve a cache of plastic bags on every haul. For the ignorant the attached photo is of a fireball that will singe your tail if you don't repent. Being where I am can't help but deal a little silly. There are huge tankers lined up that have been loaded with liquid foscles the remains are then transported accross oceans loaded on barges and trucks so we can pour their souls into tanks and burn them sacrilege
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1754459349.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	29582  
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 17:58   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

With freedom comes responsibility and with responsibility less freedom. So it goes. Ignore the responsibility and your freedom impinges on anothers.

This is true of littering and of posting in internet forums. We have a responsibity to our fellow members to not only think about what we post but also to think when we read something and to try not to overreact.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 18:07   #67
cruiser

and remember 1976 anyone? Well guess what. There are approximately 100% more people on the earth now than in that year. no kiddin
Old 12-07-2011, 18:11   #68

Boat: Westsail 32

...the nuclear contaminated clutter from the tsunami in Japan takes it many terrifying steps further. Its astonishing to see what floats around in the middle of the Oceans, as
well as the beaches. I have seen syringe needles, diapers, plastic oil jugs as well as all the huge chunks of styrofoam mid ocean....Its going to take quite a massive shift in consciousness to put an end to this addiction... like a serious wake up call. Unfortuneately humans only seem to learn from suffering, and even that is questionable...
DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 18:17   #69
cruiser

DeepBlueSea, we're talking "catastrophic event" at this point. And it will be too late.
Old 12-07-2011, 18:30   #70

I would have to agree, to knock people out of their complacency and ignorance...I certainly hope it's not tooooo late. We could quickly skip to core issues like the climate change/energy issue which is certainly the same issue of what we put into the atmosphere...for that matter. But, yea thats what we are up against, and certainly the issue that will define this period in history...kind of a cross roads of realization for civilization. And I certainly hope its a near death experience enough to wake us all up and not a death experience....should we get directly to the bloody point....
Old 12-07-2011, 18:45   #71

I am not trying to create some doomsday scenario, but if we collectively behave like loudmouth teenagers with a bottle of whiskey, a credit card and some car keys driving recklessly down the road of our collective destiny, we are going to have a collision with reality...its comon sense.
Old 12-07-2011, 18:49   #72
cruiser

add in the decimation of overfishing etc....yes it looks bleak.

I guess the things that keeps me vacillating about investing in another boat besides lifestyle and costs are all those troubles - pollution, lack of wildlife, weather changes, and piracy/crime.
Old 12-07-2011, 18:53   #73

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Even a banana skin,when discarded, needs 1-3 years before it is completely biodegraded!
Your'e kidding me!

I throw banana peels on some of my plants as food.

They are gone in a few weeks.

But then I am in Florida.
Old 12-07-2011, 18:54   #74
cruiser

You should recycle your bananana skins there Therapy.
Old 12-07-2011, 19:01   #75

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

On a positive note, we spent a week on the Forgotten Coast of Florida, and as the name implies, people "forgot" to litter the beach.

We didn't see any litter, no cigarette butts, just beautiful white sands, blue sky, dolphins and two topless sunbathers.

Tripod probably knows exactly what beach I was at as it is just south of where his boat is docked. When we left, we took all of our garbage with us and left only our footprints.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote