Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2014, 11:30   #16

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: How NOT to fund the cruising kitty: Welfare Fraud

I draw a service connected disability check and I drive a couple of pretty nice cars, but you'd be hard pressed to "see" the disabilities I have. They are hidden under a couple of scars devilishly placed to hide them.

Not to worry, the U.S. government takes my disability payment out of my retirement pay. The only benefit I can see is the disability pay is not taxed.

In any case, I'm a bit of a rule follower as I'd hate to spend time in Club Fed, when I can be out cruising.
Old 22-03-2014, 11:35   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I still can't figure out how even the largest most generous welfare payment would make a dent in the mortgage payments for a $1.2m yacht. Or can you get 200 year mortgages again these days?

Kinda makes you wonder. what other scams they have going on to raise the rest of the donut fund.
Old 22-03-2014, 11:58   #18

People with lots of money quite often have an attitude that life is entirely about getting more than you give. It's certainly the fastest and surest route to wealth.

Speculation seems to me to be an example of doing exactly that, yet it increasingly seems to be considered a perfectly valid way of monopolising riches.

Provided rich people on welfare have managed to pervert the spirit of the law without infringing the letter, it seems to me it's hard to make a strong case against their behaviour, if we don't also question whether activities such as speculation are valid and honourable ways to sequester wealth.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:42   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Why would anyone with financial resources like they had, cheat and steal, and end up in jail? I've never been able to understand the mentality. Don't you ever look in the mirror, and ask yourself, "do I like what I see?"
sociopaths - The didn't even keep a low profile. Its always a shock when you run into people with no moral fiber.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:43   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

just sat down to dinner with my 19 year old daughter,and a punk friend of hers,same age,same sex but purple hair and numerous bits of metal..........

apparently you dont have to be black or crippled these days to cite discrimination........just a woman......citing sexual descrimination!
Old 22-03-2014, 13:17   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Its always a shock when you run into people with no moral fiber. "
Hmmm. On a sliding scale...if you're not a monk, haven't given up all worldly possessions to feed the starving, then aren't you still doing something (retaining wealth) that is causing them to starve?

So the sociopath takes just for themselves, the monk gives away everything, and in between, isn't that a sliding scale?

Sort of like Jains sweeping the ground in front of them, lest they crush an ant. As opposed to Bhuddists who wouldn't go out of the way to crush an ant. And plain old kids, not considered sociopaths when they step on ants, but reclassified when they start messing around with puppies?

My compromise is that I won't go out of my way to find scorpions, but if one shakes out of my boots...Goodbye, it is crushed. Scorpions, gators, bears, mosquitoes...I'm no Jain.
Old 22-03-2014, 13:56   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
just sat down to dinner with my 19 year old daughter,and a punk friend of hers,same age,same sex but purple hair and numerous bits of metal..........

apparently you dont have to be black or crippled these days to cite discrimination........just a woman......citing sexual descrimination!
So is this friend helping your daughter adapt & cope with the world?

Went through that with one of our daughters. I just kept telling myself, "its only hair. It will grow back/out. Worse things she could be doing".

Hang in there.
Old 22-03-2014, 14:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Speculation seems to me to be an example of doing exactly that...
I'd be curious to hear your definition of "speculation," because based on the way that I, and everyone else I've ever known, has used the word, what you're saying here makes absolutely no sense at all.
Old 22-03-2014, 14:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I still can't figure out how even the largest most generous welfare payment would make a dent in the mortgage payments for a $1.2m yacht. Or can you get 200 year mortgages again these days?

Kinda makes you wonder. what other scams they have going on to raise the rest of the donut fund.
It looks like they paid cash for the yacht.
Old 22-03-2014, 14:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton View Post
It looks like they paid cash for the yacht.
Must have been all the welfare they got from the UK...

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-03-2014, 15:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There are an enormous number of "disabled" people running around South Georgia driving new Mercedes and Lexus, You see them get out and there is obviously nothing disabled about them. Obvious fraud, but apparently un-protested
If this continues, It will break the bank, and genuinely disabled will have nothing
Having handicapped plates has nothing to do with collecting disability. Any doctor can give you permission to get the plates. Getting the disability payments is a drawn-out process unrelated to the plates.
Old 22-03-2014, 15:59   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Having handicapped plates has nothing to do with collecting disability. Any doctor can give you permission to get the plates. Getting the disability payments is a drawn-out process unrelated to the plates.

Trust me, down here I'm sure they are drawing disability, in fact it seems most are disabled veterans. The number of disabled plates has increased exponentially, it has to be tied to some kind of free money
Old 22-03-2014, 16:11   #28

Quote:
Trust me, down here I'm sure they are drawing disability, in fact it seems most are disabled veterans. The number of disabled plates has increased exponentially, it has to be tied to some kind of free money
So you're saying disabled veterans are getting free money? Really? REALLY?

Don't know where you keep saying "South Georgia." My last tour in the Army I was a recruiter in Brunswick. Spent my life between Jacksonville, Savannah and out to Valdosta. I must have missed this massive amount of luxury cars with disabled veteran license plates, even though I was on the road 9 hours a day.

Another thing to consider is the cost of living down there in crap hole nowhere georgia. Perhaps you are seeing a lot of retirees?

Either way, if they are receiving disability compensation from the VA (which by the way can be as low as $130 a month) from service connected (the only way to get money from the VA) disabilities brought on by a decade of war so you can sit pretty in your trailer and bash them, then I say good on them for getting what they deserve. Believe me, it sure as hell isn't enough.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-03-2014, 16:19   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
FWIW, the various States differ in this. For instance before each of my bilateral knee replacement operations (the second was a repair of the first), I was offered disabled plates (for 6 months). No money was involved, it was a practice developed to make it easier for one to accomplish one's grocery shopping or physical therapy visits. So, as far as I know, it does not have to be tied to some kind of free money, at least in California.

Ann

Edit: I hope they are both prosecuted, fined and jailed. Shame on them!
Old 22-03-2014, 16:33   #30
FTS

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Wow the AH quotient on CEOs can just go so high.
I got $10 that sez you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, fun