Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2010, 12:39   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I believe the US warship exclusion zone has two parts: 500 yard go at minimum speed and 100 yard absolutely do not enter if you value your life!

Oh, and I think somewhere it was said that the Iowa had been proposed as a museum ship for San Francisco but bay-area politics torpedoed that plan.
Yeah, too 'militaristic' or some such crap..... I don't know why the Navy still does a fleet week there Index

That attitude is just one of the reasons I left California behind.
Old 29-08-2010, 13:43   #32

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
A lot of times small boats think they can cross the "big guys". They think they're going really fast and it's hard for them to imagine that that 10,000 ton destroyer can also do 25 or 30 knots. Some don't understand the concept of bearing drift or CBDR. I've seen quite a few only turn away after 5 short blasts when they're almost looking straight up.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 13:59   #33

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
If some of the dive boat operators and other skippers visiting don't bother with VHF, might they also not bother to check in before going out on whether the Navy is holding exercises and determine the status of exclusion zones? That might be plus ungood.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 14:21   #34

Be aware, as a former submariner, one of two actual "emergency deep" manuvers I was involved in was on the account of a sailboat. Submarines are everywhere and they use the accoustic signature of all ships, boats, submarines and beasts of the sea to determine what's out front, in their path. This usually works out well on vessels turning screws, not so much those without.
Sailbaots don't have a very large radar signature either, reflectors help. I'd assume the vessel in question had a small or zero radar signatue.
PanzerOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote