Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2007, 15:30   #1

Harken hopes for hand-out?

Pewaukee to hear pitch for aid

Harken is expected to ask the public works for financial help on running sewer and water to a proposed 100,000 ft^2 manufacturing plant. Harken has outgrown its current 60,000 ft^2 facility in Pewaukee and said earlier this year it was seeking land in the area, and in August said it would cost at least several hundred thousand dollars to acquire municipal services if it did find land within the city.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 07:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Harken sells so much stuff that I would imagine the taxes they pay to the city would more than pay for the cost of the utilities and pretty quickly. I would want a company like Harken in my city to increase the tax base even if it does cost some money up front. It sounds like it would be more of an investment on the cities part than a handout.

I have seen it more than once where a company refuses to move in because of the unwillingness of a city council to compromise. So what happens?...the company takes it's tax revenue elsewhere.

Berkeley, CA is a prime example. The old hippies on the Berkeley City council have lost a LOT of commerce to neighboring Emeryville, CA

Besides, it's really the responsibility of any city to build and maintain the city's infrastructure. That's one of the reasons why a city has taxes.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 07:09   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Jobs and taxes are often a good trade off for this type infrastructure to industry. As long as the numbers work for a community it is usually a good thing for both the company and local people... I also would love for them to move here. Our community offers good incentives to clean industry with high employee numbers.

Tags
Harken