Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2013, 20:08   #16

Re: Greg Stephanoff missing overboard in Hawaii, s.v. "C:Drive"

Thanks everyone who replied. I think I've finally accepted that this would be a very difficult, costly venture. Now I understand why my sons wrote it off so quickly. I think I just needed to hear it from experienced mariners like yourselves. We have other more pressing things to try and figure out at this point so I'm over it, although I did find that comment about the CG letting it continue to drift and possibly be a hazard very interesting. Again thanks everyone.
BeachyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 05:06   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You're welcome. Be prepared to learn that someone has scooped it up and salvaged it. If you are approached with an offer to buy back personal items or gear from the boat, don't be offended that you're dealing with thieves...the laws surrounding marine salvage are quite straightforward, if somewhat alien when compared to, say, residential property: Law of salvage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you may yet hear of this boat if a fisherman with a big enough boat finds it adrift in calm conditions. If it lands on some little impoverished island, by contrast, you may not hear a thing...it'll be parted out in hours.

I would deal with the insurance (if there was insurance) settlement on the basis of "no, it's gone". In some ways, you and your sons, having decided to let it go, want nothing to do with it legally. If it rolls onto a beach in a bird preserve, for instance, and spills diesel or other toxins, you don't want to be on the hook for the clean-up...that's one of the reasons I'm surprised the CG didn't sink it on the spot when it was clearly established the boat had been abandoned...it's several tons of potential pollution now, and if it isn't going to be brought back, it should have gone straight to the bottom. It's navigationally now the same dangerous unlit thing as an awash container busted off a cargo ship, except it's a bit easier to see.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 17:08   #18

Boat: Newporter-40 (50' LOA)

Aloha BeachyLife,
My boyfriend and I used to crew on Greg's boat on Sundays. This whole situation came as a real shock, and we are still trying to make sense of it. Our thoughts are with you and your family, Greg's a great guy and a terrific sailor. c:drive was a total dream boat, any effort (within reason) would be great in trying to retrieve this vessel. I am not going to bash the CG for marking and leaving it to drift, perhaps they felt it was still in good enough condition for someone to come across and claim.
surfergirl808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 18:45   #19

Surfergirl808, when was the last time you saw Greg? Trying to help my sons put together the pieces leading up to his disappearance. Have heard all sorts of theories, just wondering what to make of it all.
Old 23-11-2013, 19:30   #20

Aloha BeachyLife:

The last time we sailed with Greg was Sept. 22nd, which was a Sunday.

Would you please give me your email address, I'd feel better discussing this privately, instead of on this forum (no offense intended). My email address is ijan808@gmail.com.

We're home the rest of the night, so I can answer any questions you may have.
Thanks!
Old 23-11-2013, 19:32   #21

Email me at ijan808@gmail.com, would rather discuss Greg not over this forum.
)
Old 23-11-2013, 19:59   #22

Supposedly the CG found his GPS on board and are sending it back. Is is possible to extract any info from it that might give us a clue as to where his boat has been since he went missing?
Old 23-11-2013, 20:53   #23

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachyLife View Post
Supposedly the CG found his GPS on board and are sending it back. Is is possible to extract any info from it that might give us a clue as to where his boat has been since he went missing?
Sorry for your family's loss.
Depending on the GPS model, options selected, whether it was in use, etc., some GPS's will retain some or all tracking data for varying times and distances.
Try to find out from the USCG what brand and model GPS it is and relay it here, somebody here will know of it and have an operation manual.
There are also certain "national technical means/resources" that know exactly where it might be, if you could get them to pass it on.

If the boat is still afloat, a salvage could be attempted, the least cost way would probably be if Greg had some sailing friends who might attempt a salvage voyage, 14-1500 miles isn't an impossible distance, depending on the vessel.

However, I'm skeptical of the report of the USCG leaving the boat drifting out there.
We're a Coastie family, (and unofficially) in many similar encounters (particularly with drug runners), the CG will use the opportunity to scuttle a vessel to allow the gun crew some practice, rather than leave a 'navigational hazard' (no point in "cutting the hoses", or opening the seacocks, when a fun gunnery evolution can be availed of on the deep).
I read somewhere that the CG had sent a buoy tender to intercept the C drive, so it may not have had appropriate armament.
If so, I'm curious why they didn't just hoist it aboard for retreival, a buoy tender (of all vessels) is equipped for such operations, although maybe not having the capacity for that particular boat.

Anyway, some possible questions you might ask of the USCG.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 22:13   #24

Thanks for the info. I think a call to the CG is in order to get better details. I'm only going by what I was told by the news anchor who contacted me the other day. Although I don't share a love of sailing, the photo I've seen of the C-Drive in better days, it's a beautiful boat. Unfortunately, if it truly is still adrift, it seems like it would be challenging to locate again and then costly to retrieve. We wish the buoy tender had hoisted it aboard. So assuming he had insurance on it, how would my sons proceed on a claim? Would this even qualify as an insurable loss?
Old 23-11-2013, 22:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachyLife View Post
Thanks for the info. I think a call to the CG is in order to get better details. I'm only going by what I was told by the news anchor who contacted me the other day. Although I don't share a love of sailing, the photo I've seen of the C-Drive in better days, it's a beautiful boat. Unfortunately, if it truly is still adrift, it seems like it would be challenging to locate again and then costly to retrieve. We wish the buoy tender had hoisted it aboard. So assuming he had insurance on it, how would my sons proceed on a claim? Would this even qualify as an insurable loss?
If you can find out what marina he last stayed at, since most marinas now ask for insurance, they may have a record of the company he had it insured with. Let me addmmy condolences at your and your sons loss and the difficult times this must be for you all.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, overboard