Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2022, 17:16   #151

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: GGR 2022 race, news and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Great stuff.. she seems in great spirits, looking fit n well and no boat problems.. Fan Bludi Tastic..
Thanks for the video.
Awesome she could be interviewed in both English and French also without missing a beat.........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 17:18   #152

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
It's called a Letter Box Drop and commonly used when short handed or in heavy weather as the sail is deflated and under control throughout the drop with little risk of it ending up in the water.
It was pretty interesting to see Kirsten take down that chute single handedly, without a sock.

I've never used the letter box technique but I can see some advantages: it keeps the sail away from entanglements on deck and farther from the water. It also helps gather the sail.

It does however require a little preparation, mainly having a spare line from the clew over the boom.

Anyhow, we keep learning.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:52   #153

Boat: Bristol 27

Race Leader Simon Curwen takes advantage of having to stop and check in at Cape Town by anchoring to check the bottom and go up the mast to get stuck halyards down (genoa and spinnaker)

Also interesting as a single hander he has no lines coming back to the cockpit for the mainsail, but must go forward to reef, raise sail, etc.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:56   #154
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: GGR 2022 race, news and discussion

I prefer that, less friction/chaff/failure points and a chance to check the rig..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:29   #155

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
It was pretty interesting to see Kirsten take down that chute single handedly, without a sock.

I've never used the letter box technique but I can see some advantages: it keeps the sail away from entanglements on deck and farther from the water. It also helps gather the sail.

It does however require a little preparation, mainly having a spare line from the clew over the boom.

Anyhow, we keep learning.
Here is a slow and explained video of the steps:

The principle disadvantage of the letter box is that you cannot leave it rigged for hoisting again like you can if you drop into the foredeck hatch. We have a gear tie on the port shroud so that you can pull the halyard back there and tie it off out of the road without having to disconnect it and as long as you run the tapes the spinnaker will launch right out of the hatch again fully rigged.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:06   #156

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I prefer that, less friction/chaff/failure points and a chance to check the rig..
That is also my preference. Being a cutter with furling units for both headsails I already have plenty of lines leading back to the cockpit. Even in the worst weather I don’t mind going forward to the mast…going on the foredeck is a different matter entirely.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 13:09   #157

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Here is a slow and explained video of the steps:

The principle disadvantage of the letter box is that you cannot leave it rigged for hoisting again like you can if you drop into the foredeck hatch. We have a gear tie on the port shroud so that you can pull the halyard back there and tie it off out of the road without having to disconnect it and as long as you run the tapes the spinnaker will launch right out of the hatch again fully rigged.
We have always dropped our kites on the foredeck and down the foredeck hatch, even when sailing double handed. We do not use a snuffer or sock. We are careful when double handing not to get caught in too much wind. We don't set in over 20 knots and take it down at 25 kts. But blanketed behind the mainsail it is very doable even for a couple of 75 year olds. We do have problems trying to douse it while rounding a leeward mark, but usually manage it.

We have not tried to reset the kite out of the hatch because there are too many possible snags down there. (we live aboard, remember).

Both letter box examples I've seen are in flat calm conditions. I'd like to see it in 25 knots of breeze.
Old 18-11-2022, 12:55   #158

Boat: Herreshoff 36

UPDATE: PLB activation- Distress SIGNAL received from ASTERIA Tapio Lehtinen Sailing at 0654UCT. at 39. 06.07 S 03.20 44.1E approx. 450 miles SE of Port Elizabeth in South Africa. The PLB is packed INSIDE the life-raft and was activated manually. The onboard GGR Tracker has stopped transmitting. No satphone message has been received from Tapio. Nearest ship is approx. 270 miles from Tapio's last known position. Kerston is approx 95miles SW of Tapio's last known position. GGR has so far been unable to contact her. Abhilash is approx. 170 miles SW of Tapio and is now proceeding to Tapio's last known position. MRCC South Africa is co-ordinating the Rescue effort. Weather conditions in the area 15-20kts 3-4mtr sea. #GGR2022 .
Old 18-11-2022, 14:09   #159

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Ahun, you beat me to it
Here is the official link to this event
https://goldengloberace.com/tapio-le...tjxipZXsFBrdn4
Old 18-11-2022, 21:46   #160

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The ship that has been tasked to rescue him is about 2 hours away.
Old 19-11-2022, 00:50   #161

At around 0805UTC Kirsten radio'd that she'd picked Tapio from his liferaft and transferred him safely to the bulk carrier. Both now continue their voyages, but to different landfalls.
notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 05:44   #162
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

I don't know why you wouldn't unfurl the jib before dropping the spinnaker. The classic under the boom method into the cabin works well. The letter box requires a loose-footed main. While she bore off to bring it in, she then headed back up with all that sail to windward of the boom. Works in light air, but could create problems in heavier air as the spinnaker could fill under the boom.

I have always hoisted the jib, bore off to DDW to blanket the spinnaker and pulled it under the boom.

This Olson 30 Solo Transpac video shows great classic under the boom technique (without a jib) at 5:56:

https://youtu.be/V0TkYzNrsbk
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 05:51   #163
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Also, Adrian on Olson 30 Idefix shows great use of twings (which are often overlooked), he has the guy and sheet pulled to a height below the lifelines at the chainplate areas. This keeps the spinnaker from oscillating and lessens the chance of a broach.

I copied his techniques for solo spinnaker handling on my Pearson 28 as so: https://youtu.be/HggDjw3lCxc

The twings also make it easier to drop, because the sheet is not flying all over the place, you can easily pull it in above the twing ring and under the boom...
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 18:19   #164

Boat: J/109

Wishing the participants of the GGR best wishes on Thanksgivings, while a U.S. holiday, thinking of the participants braving the Southern Ocean solo as we are with family and friends. Much respect and admiration for all the racers. Best wishes and fair winds.
mochifanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:52   #165
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: GGR 2022 race, news and discussion

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race