Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 11:01   #106

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Good idea, Still! Set a thief to catch a thief. Until the first crew mutiny and ransom demand arrived at HQ, anyway.
Old 19-05-2010, 22:21   #107

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Good idea, Still! Set a thief to catch a thief. Until the first crew mutiny and ransom demand arrived at HQ, anyway.
I thought of that possible scenario playing out to SP...but I figured a way around that issue right off the bat...just have 50 cal machine guns mounted in a way that precludes any rotation past the gunwale...That way they cant be used against the ship or crew itself....and of course the ability to lock them down completely once out of harms way like comming into port or in flotilla....Other then that ankle bracelet trackers will pretty much keep tabs on any idea of escaping or other shenanigans...giving them a sence of some semblance of freedom roaming around the boat and possibly a renewed sense of usefulness and pride giving back to society.

I think it would be a win win all around....Some one get Oprah on it would ya...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 04:51   #108
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
giving them..............possibly a renewed sense of usefulness and pride giving back to society.
Or if not at least some new skills
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 05:16   #109

Isn't one of the problems with putting armed guards on board the fact that (as has been "briefly" discussed elsewhere) that many countries don't like you to bring guns into their port?
I'm guessing they would not be any happier with a deck-mounted 50-cal than with a 9mm put away in a locker... Might create a lot of problems for getting the boat in and out of necessary ports of call - in areas dangerous or safe. Right?
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 05:45   #110

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
When bringing a freighter full of cars, food or an oil tanker into any country, arms on board is not a problem. If the country wants to keep its industry and homes heated and factories working and citizens fed, they are not about to quibble about weapons stored in an "armory" on board the freighter/oil tanker. It has never been a problem throughout history for major shipping to be "armed" and have amories on board.
- - A major concern with small cruising vessels that have arms is the possibility of locals stealing the arms and using them against other citizens or the government.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 09:36   #111
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
elsewhere) that many countries don't like you to bring guns into their port?
I'm guessing they would not be any happier with a deck-mounted 50-cal than with a 9mm put away in a locker... Might create a lot of problems for getting the boat in and out of necessary ports of call - in areas dangerous or safe. Right?
right. Exactly right. As most ships these days go anywhere, world wide, or at least are able to go anywhere in downtime, they must be able to fit the criteria of the most difficult port.

A good example is New Zealand which used to, or still does, have a blanket ban on nuclear weapons. as the world navies will neither confirm nor deny the existance of nuclear weapons on board any particular ship, no navy ship of a nuculear army country can go to New Zealand. (Maybe a Kiwi can confirm this?)

If it were allowed in all ports all cargo ships now would have machine guns mounted on deck (twin .30's far better than .50 cals).
Much safer than light weapons as the heavy ones can be locked onto their mounts so the ships own crew can't get mutinous ideas!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 09:36   #112

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
Isn't one of the problems with putting armed guards on board the fact that (as has been "briefly" discussed elsewhere) that many countries don't like you to bring guns into their port?

There are always answers to every problem...

One way to make a country feel safer about an armed ship pulling into port is to have the Pilot ( Every port uses those right?) be the one securing the guns and locking them down upon his boarding.

Were not talking scud missiles here.....Yes I know what a .50 cal will do but its hard to hide one in your sea bag welded to the boat too..

Six per ship would be plenty.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 11:15   #113
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

And speaking of pirates, yesterday or the day before one of the Somali pirates (I think from the Maersk that the USN intervened in?) pled guilty to all charges yesterday or the day before, in a US Federal Court in NYC. Article in the newspapers.

They're not all being left in limbo.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 00:12   #114
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
14 civilians dead in Somali attack

May 23, 2010 - 4:59PM AFP
Somalia's al-Qaeda-inspired Shebab rebels attacked the presidential palace in Mogadishu overnight, sparking a battle that left at least 14 civilians dead, officials and witnesses said Sunday.
It just never stops!!

Old 25-05-2010, 13:11   #115

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
It has never been a problem throughout history for major shipping to be "armed" and have amories on board.
There in lies the problem. Big business can always do what they want. They make an deal with the powers that be and carry on as they please. Money talks.

John Q. Public on the other hand, faced with the same problems can do nothing. No money, no talk.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 13:26   #116

Boat: Trismus 37
Yup you are right Mark if your yacht is nuclear powered or carrying nuclear weapons you are not welcome. Conventionally powered and armed ships (navy ) are welcome, the ausies come all the time, though after the rough tackling in the "friendly" soccer game a couple of days ago that privilege may be withdrawn.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 22:35   #117
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Cargo boat crew take back ship from sleeping pirates

June 3, 2010 - 9:07AM
The crew of a Libyan-owned cargo ship pounced on their sleeping Somali captors on Wednesday, disarmed the pirates and killed five of them, regaining control of their vessel that had been hijacked almost three months earlier, officials said.
Cargo boat crew take back ship from sleeping pirates

I love good news.

Old 02-06-2010, 23:10   #118

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Perhaps I am just having an attack of humanity…. but celebrating the death of Somali pirates (ex-fishermen) who to date have only been guilty of trying to feed their families by illegal means after their livelihoods have been removed … by equally illegal means…. seems a bit harsh.

I understand their motives better than Jack Sparrow’s
It may have started out that way, but it evolved into a sophisticated organized crime syndicate that has tentacles that stretch into Europe to "negotiate" ransoms and arrange deliveries ... these criminals also arrange the movement of goods that facilitates and serve as the rewards for their illegal conduct ... so your attack of humanity is not really warranted ........
Old 02-06-2010, 23:24   #119

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Paul Theroux wrote a book called Dark Star Safari that I read recently. His opinions, based on his return to Eastern Africa after a 30 year absence is that there have been created, in that time, Aid Economies. Countries like Somalia that were formerly more self sufficient are now barren and dependent completely on aid. He thinks that generations have lost all work ethic and now only know how to bully or beg. (paraphrased, not a quote.)
The only true long-term solution would be for there to be a functioning economy based on production and Rule Of Law. Difficult to convince savvy businessmen to invest in a place with little infrastructure and lots of crime and corruption. Tough to get good cops when they can only earn $1.00 a day working (arbitrary number) but $20.00 a day stealing. Ghana had some rough times this last century but they seem to have found a recipe that is working. I don't know quite what they did but I want to look into that later. I'd like to see more of the beautiful areas of the world learn to make someplace nice to be. I think, however, that the actual doing of it is a bit too big of a job for me for this week.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:31   #120

Boat: Sweden, classic salup, & 9 meters- Mojo
Hunger leads to drastical actions!!
Captain mud is offline   Reply With Quote