Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

I think the free spirit factor/illusion creeps in reading tales from not so long ago when the countries had different names and the colonial influences still lingered..
Its tougher now in some places that feel they must impose their independence.. but many others are still the same..
Being EU has opened more doors for a lot of us in the 'Old World'
I just avoid the ones that make life difficult as much as possible..
Once bitten.. twice shy..
But I infinitely prefer the 'sit at a computer and fill out a question form in St Martin'... or chatting while the HM of Pago Pago filled in my form... all the while regaling me with tales of missing boats..
Much nicer than the departure/arrival grief involved in moving from place to place in normal everyday life.. and with my home to boot...
Flying does my head in... when it gets like that I'll complain.. but till then...
Free spirited enuf fer me

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52   #17

Boat: wharram tiki 26
re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I think you're preaching to the wrong choir here, Cap. "Tricky Visa issue" has an ugly ring to it that after 10 years experience, you surely saw coming.
Actually no, not in a thousand years did I believe i would be put thru the ringer like I have. I am still dealing with the relevant authorities and hope for a decision that will be in my favour.

If this does not happen, and after living and working here for 10 years, whilst building a catamaran i get told to bugger off, then i have a problem. The problem would be to get the boat out of here documented and thru customs.

cheers paul.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:41   #18
cruiser

Some people who don't feel the need to follow the rules like to consider themselves "free-spirited."

Most folks who choose to follow the rules, find out soon enough that these "free-spirited" bums have spoiled the perception of the local population towards outsiders, making things more difficult for everyone.

When you're in someone else's backyard, home or country.... you follow their rules. Simple.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:58   #19

Yes, to a point though.

I think humans have evolved to have a healthy suspicion of strangers. What the stranger can do to live up to the locals perceptions as a good guy may depend on so many factors.Seen to be doing the right thing is not a sure fire way of ingratiating oneself.

Often times the locals perception of authority is not one shared by most westerners.
Old 08-05-2013, 14:04   #20
cruiser

Showing up uninvited, with no money and no work permit... is a "sure fire way" to piss off the locals.

bum 1 (b m) n. 1. A tramp; a vagrant. 2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 14:08   #21

Damm right mate, bloody sailors come over 'ere take our jobs,take our wimmin.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10   #22

Here we go... The Road Warrior | Sail Feed
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I have a friend who throws really great parties two or three times a year. Unfortunately, she has a rule that no one is allowed to wear shoes in her house. Although I think this is a goofy rule . . .
This "goofy rule" is the custom in a large part of the world. After living for a couple of decades in a country where that "goofy rule" is the norm, wearing shoes in the house now seems really gross and unhygienic to me. Suum cuique!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Showing up uninvited, with no money and no work permit... is a "sure fire way" to piss off the locals.
****.. what did I do wrong... loadsa Aussies were brilliant with me... just the respectable hard working couple who got me there who were not to keen on my staying...

bum 1 (b m) n. 1. A tramp; a vagrant. 2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
You mean someone who relies on others to give them a job... or buy their services.. or tailor their clothes and build their boats... supply them with sex and children...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-05-2013, 10:18   #25

Not quite sailing but, more free spirited adventure.

Across Europe in a Paperboat on Vimeo
Old 23-05-2013, 05:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Actually no, not in a thousand years did I believe i would be put thru the ringer like I have. I am still dealing with the relevant authorities and hope for a decision that will be in my favour.

If this does not happen, and after living and working here for 10 years, whilst building a catamaran i get told to bugger off, then i have a problem. The problem would be to get the boat out of here documented and thru customs.

cheers paul.
Or document it with your home country
ParadiseParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 05:35   #27

All to often the difference between "free spirit" and "me me me" is a fine distinction.

That said, if you prefer not to bothered come to the Philippines. The locals are truly "living in the moment". Nobody seems to care about anything but a meal at the end of the current day. Enlightening for me. Distressing for many westerners with plans and goals.

Asked a Filipino if their word "mamaya" was the same as the Spanish "mañana". He said that the Filipinos don't have a word that expresses such urgency!
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 05:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

These type of threads always bring Janis Joplin and 'Me n Bobby McGee'....
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose...."

Old 23-05-2013, 06:02   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yeah, boaty...concur....
i do it with low fixed income and a friend does this on no income...we have a symbiotic relationship wherein he loves my boat and i gain from that...and there is adventure. win-win. to do list shrinks in length and i have a walkabout pal who drinks ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 06:05   #30

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

well i always think the planning involved in dealing with customs and immigration looks pretty damn small compared to the planning involved in getting a bloody boat organised for an ocean crossing - that free-spirited stuff goes out the window pretty early on
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing