Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2015, 10:50   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: FL boaters get ready to fight again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

My guess is either nothing will be done or something very restrictive but easy to enforce will be passed.

Sadly, I think you are correct

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:02   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmahoney266 View Post
Keep the Government out of it. Why should a bribe be needed to drop an anchor....
I hear you, however keeping the Gov. out "ain't gonna happen." Getting involved is probably the only recourse.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:12   #33

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
-----
Also, if you've ever been down to the keys, it is totally like an rv park in certain anchorage. These are just so many freakin boats, it's mind boggling.
I think that until we come to terms with our impact on a harbor and local community, we will forever be fighting this battle.
If you're referring to Boot Key Harbor in Marathon there are just as many boats "spoiling the view" now. The only difference is that they pay to be on a mooring instead of anchoring for free. The mooring fee includes many side benefits, dinghy dock, showers, pumpout boat, etc., and I have to admit it's a good deal.
Technically it does not prohibit anchoring, although the mooring field takes up the vast majority of the harbor.
The only real criticism I have is hearsay, and that is that the moorings are not adequately maintained. That may or may not be accurate.
I spent a few days there last year and was quite satisfied with the mooring I was on and the additional benefits.
Considering I lived there for a few years in the 80s-90s period I think today is a better deal for long term residents, maybe not for short term transients.
Old 19-09-2015, 11:24   #34

Boat: Nonsuch U30

"Derelict boats were dealt with last session" Ha Ha From my marina I can see two derelict boats, one sunk near the ICW channel. One at the marina that they cannot get rid of. Anywhere you go along the ICW it is the same, just open your eyes and look.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:52   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I personally feel derelict boats have been intentionally left to collect in many areas so that cities can point to a problem and the need to ban anchoring. The worst area I have seen is Cocoa Beach. Several sunk boats that we're within easy crane reach from the roadways. Several at the 2 hours tie up dock for months. Could easily be impounded and removed as were only 22-25'.

Most true derelicts I've seen have expired registration. Why doesn't the FWC just impound these boat now? I'm sure more money is being spent in per diems for legislators and FWC employees to travel to Tallahassee all these times than it would cost to remove the several dozen boats that need attention.

Other idea I've had is to require mandatory liability insurance. Not popular with some, but would solve many of the issues I believe.
Old 19-09-2015, 15:10   #36

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
There has to be a compromise - otherwise we lose this until it finds its way to court.

I would propose an anchoring license. Seasonal, weekly, yearly license to anchor anywhere you can currently anchor.

The politicians would like the extra money and a hundred or two a year would not break the bank for most cruisers.

I mean, if you take an RV to a state or National park you have to pay a fee to park right? If you park your car you have to feed a meter. Where it gets problematic is that if you use the same analogy, you could find that just like there is "residents only" parking, you could have "residents only" anchoring areas.
If you are on "developed" land...ie incorporated city land or state and national parks yes you'll have to pay to park your RV. BLM land and open non private land cost nothing.
Hence your analogy stands for telling the politicians "NO" There have been laws in place for decades concerning derelict vessels, that work if enforced. They revisit them in hopes of attaching some other ordinance to get revenue. They need more money to make up for the money they took from the marine systems that don't have the man power to enforce the derelict vessel laws. And that money won't go to the enforcement either. altho they will write citations for the new laws which will in turn make them more money.

You are no longer in the USA. you are in the Corporate Conglomerate of America. The coup happened back in the '60s So fight and fight hard or leave. You might start the fight by not voting someone into office just because he knows how to make money. that's like getting the fox to guard the hen house.

But truly its a lost cause. It would take 30 or more years of getting informed and voting on every level of government,reading every bill that comes up and writing your perspective politician, to start to make a deference. No body would last that long. the only thing quicker, would be a revolution. A quote from Ben Franklin. "every country needs a revolution once in a while to clean out the top."
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 16:16   #37

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
. A quote from Ben Franklin. "every country needs a revolution once in a while to clean out the top."
This will happen, I am running into a problem with crime, I've had 1/3 million in repeated thefts, we told the police who did it, where he lived, what he drove, they took lots of pictures, pretended to care but then did nothing, they finally did talk to the guy after the 2nd weekly theft or 6 total, they said "he said he didn't do it." investigation over. They had great pictures of tire tracks in the snow, they wouldn't send me the pictures, at first they were to big, nobody on the police force knows how to resize digital pictures, 6 requests and 4 weeks and 4 more crimes later, the police chief chimes in and says we can't send them they are evidence. I'm on my boat in Florida, the thefts are at my farm in Kansas. I return to Kansas with the intention of siting at my house and killing the thief, when he comes back the 7th time. Lucky that doesn't happen, I would have been charged with premeditated murder, since I came from Florida and was not using my house as my house. Long story short, I got the pictures, no problem in person, they were evidence, evidence the police were not doing their job, I do the detective work, the tires match perfect and are very rare tires. I get the guy arrested, he returns one item of the many thousand he stole. He was trying to implicate somebody else, my caretaker, who also had stuff stolen. We turn the case over to the county prosecutor, they do everything in their power to not prosecute, lie to me, lie to the judge and don't prepare a case or bring any evidence to the hearing. A year later I am finding I can do nothing, I can't sue the police, the prosecutor or even talk to the judge. Can't get a new preliminary hearing. The thief goes free, to continue his life of crime without a record. Even If I did get him convicted, since it would be a first offence, not one day in jail for 1/3 million theft, 10 month of probation. There never is a 2nd offence because they never have a first one.

National statistic, 97% of personal property crimes go un prosecuted, they don't want to prosecute them, it costs money and they get nothing in return, except the warm feeling of doing their job, fighting crime. The reason we pay them. They would much rather arrest and convict a drug crime, they get to slap a $5000 fine on the victim, confiscate money and cars from him and split the profits, they also put him in jail for 5 years. Steal 1/3 million you get nothing but a slap on the wrist. Our 50 year fight of drugs is just a repeat of the 10 year prohibition of alcohol, but we can't learn, it's all about money. All it does is promote organized crime. Alcohol is no different, it is a drug, same thing, something somebody wants to do the feel good about our lousy world. Most drug criminals in jail are nonviolent victimless criminals, we have over filled out jails with 50% of these, no room for real criminals. I have never used a drug, but understand we can't fight it by making it illegal. Portugal, Spain and Italy all have decriminalized drugs 15 years ago and are extremely happy with the results. Drug use in teens is down, crime down, it's all good.

A revolution will be the only way to clean up the top, all the stupid laws that government has made to pad their own pockets. Ben Franklin and the others at the countries start were all much smarter than we give them credit. Viva La revolution. We basically need to throw out every law and start it all over. It's sad but true. Not many countries last longer than 200 years, this is the reason. Get your money into something that won't disappear, and get your guns and ammunition, the people always need to have more guns then the government, or government has no need to fear the people. That is one to the other things that our founders had learned from past government failures, Smart indeed.
Old 19-09-2015, 16:32   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Anchored boats don't make wakes that erode the shoreline, and even power boats which are the main source of wakes must slow when entering an anchorage.

But areas where boats anchor can be clearly marked with buoys, keeping them clear of seagrass.

Most pollution comes from landside sources. Sewage treatment facilities fail. Outfalls carry oil, household chemicals, pesticides and 'greywater' from washing cars into public waterways. Animal offal, whether avian or mammal is carried into public waterways too, often carrying disease blamed on discharge from boats...

As are abandoned, broken down cars and discarded electronic toys, much of which ends up in public waters. In fact, along with discarded plastic there's not much made for human consumption that doesn't end up at least in part in the oceans of the world.

Wrong I don't often agree with you but this time 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 18:33   #39

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Wrong I don't often agree with you but this time 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Don't even get me started on the pollution from land thing. Just this week with the St. Augustine 450th celebration they had so many people and so much rain they simply let the sewage plant loose. They have signs up everywhere saying not to swim or fish because of the sewage.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 19:34   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They feel as though they own the water too, and they don't want people setting up in their backyard, be a much nicer view if all those boats weren't out there.
If you wish to stop this AND appeal to the taxing authorities, pass on a massive tax increase of the imputed additional property holding to the land owners adjacent to the water. They will soon stop insisting they 'own' the water and the bottom.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 19:45   #41

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
The first thing to do, if you can, is to attend the workshop in Tallahassee in October. Voice your opinion there, we need as many people there as possible.

The second thing to do is prepare to go back to Tallahassee during the legislative session. That is when any bills to restrict anchoring will be introduced. The house and the senate sub-committees will have hearings on the bills and we need people to speak up at the hearings.

The third thing to do is email and send letters to the politicians on those committees. Especially the ones that may be in your district.

I attended the hearings last year. The chairman on the senate committee did his best to keep people from speaking against the bills. Even going as far as suspending the hearing, bring up a different bill, and then bring up the anchoring bill with only minutes left in the hearing.

If we don't fight, they will railroad the bills through. And they will get their way...............

Edit to add: You can also join and/or donate to the Seven Seas Cruising Association. Call or email BoatUS and tell them to send larger representation to Tallahassee. Contact the NMMA and tell them to make sure their representative is against the bills.

Thank you.
Thanks Davy.

A link to the SSCA Right to Anchor Donation form:
https://www.gofundme.com/right2anchor

Contact BoatUS: GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com

NMMA: ?

MIASF (Marine Industries Association of South Florida): info@miasf.org
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 19:48   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
There has to be a compromise - otherwise we lose this until it finds its way to court.

I would propose an anchoring license. Seasonal, weekly, yearly license to anchor anywhere you can currently anchor.

The politicians would like the extra money and a hundred or two a year would not break the bank for most cruisers.

I mean, if you take an RV to a state or National park you have to pay a fee to park right? If you park your car you have to feed a meter. Where it gets problematic is that if you use the same analogy, you could find that just like there is "residents only" parking, you could have "residents only" anchoring areas.
HMMMM Why not require a license to breathe? I'm sure politicians would do that too if they could.

Boating is the single largest business that cannot be turfed off-shore. Why do they not figure out how to cultivate it?
Old 20-09-2015, 04:11   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
HMMMM Why not require a license to breathe? ...
They do tax air in Venezuela.
Passengers flying out of Maiquetia International Airport in Caracas have to pay 127 bolivars tax (£12; $20) for the air they breathe. This is to cover the cost of a system which uses ozone to purify the building's air conditioning system.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 05:14   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
They do tax air in Venezuela.
Passengers flying out of Maiquetia International Airport in Caracas have to pay 127 bolivars tax (£12; $20) for the air they breathe. This is to cover the cost of a system which uses ozone to purify the building's air conditioning system.
GordMay, Interesting & puzzling. A long time ago "ozinators" were sold for purifying the air in your home. This was stopped in an age long before PC & government oversight when it was found that the ozone destroyed rubber, carpet, clothes etc. & was a bit hard on lungs as well. I think it was about the same era as X-Ray machines in shoe stores. I suppose the modern Venezuelan version is better controlled and toned down.
Old 20-09-2015, 05:51   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Well ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	artoons1=airport check.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	109450  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, yacht