Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 22:38   #61

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Fake USCG Registration site robbing $75 from Cruisers

MoorOrLess, all this information is on the public register in US. All they need to so is run some sort of query and download all the information, sort it by expiry date and pump out letters. The records show the person's home address as well. See http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html. Try a search on a common boat name and you will see results.
Old 22-03-2017, 22:46   #62

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Just wait for the USCG notice of renewal need.
Old 23-03-2017, 00:06   #63

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI

Hi Clownfishsydney, thanks. Just been looking at that site, many details.
Old 23-03-2017, 00:37   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorOrLess View Post
Hi Clownfishsydney, thanks. Just been looking at that site, many details.
Here in US we have this weird concept of "privacy". Things which should be private such as property ownership - are seldom are. Things which should never be private - such as compensation of gov't officials and employees - are often very private or not easily discernible.
Old 23-03-2017, 04:32   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alphadog.

Old 23-03-2017, 05:20   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Just curious, is anybody who has read this thread going to pay this guy $75 to file their renewal? If yes, why?
Personally I am going to pay St Brendan's Isle $12 to do it, that is what they charge to renew for me every year and send me the renewal. It's worth the $12 for me to be on passage somewhere and or in another part of the world and not have to worry about it.

However, what this guy is doing is legal. It may in my opinion be dishonest and for that reason I believe his website and practices being pointed out is a public service.
I would likely have fallen for it, I don't investigate things as much as I should, I get home, I'm tired and only half reading the mail, so yes I would likely have sent him the check.

Our registration info is publicly available, just like it is for ALL aircraft, take any N number you see on any airplane, plug it in here and you get the owners name, address and other data, that I do not think should be public, but is?
FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry

Try calling your local cop shop and to get the name and address of a tag number off a car and see how they treat that, why is a boat and airplane different?

However, please try to refrain from calling this person and their Business a crook etc., doing so may make this thread have to be removed and other boaters will not get the heads up on his service
Old 23-03-2017, 06:47   #67

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Re-documented my current boat thru the USCG site. Very easy and straightforward directions on the site given this was a purchase and change of ownership. Downloadable and printable forms in addition to instructions as to what must be included based upon whether new or renewal or change of ownership, etc. I was pleasantly surprised as how simple it was given my concerns that it might be a department of motor vehicles experience on steroids. I rec'd my new documentation about 2-2.5 months after submitting my forms. At one point during my wait I emailed the USCG group responsible for documenting boats and they responded promptly with word that they "...were very busy and had my paperwork, so pls be patient". thnks, dave
Old 23-03-2017, 07:11   #68

Kind of related to this topic.

What baffles me is that in 2017 we have to wait 2-3 months for the document to come in after full payment was made and processed. Any private entity which couldn't come up with an auto-generated document within say a week or two would be publicly blasted and criticized. Why not have a system where once electronic payment been made and accepted customer is able to printout a receipt which would be a temp. proof of documentation in most instances/situations except may be for an actual sale (to prevent fraud, etc)? Our banks do that, our electrical companies do that, our phone companies do that. Heck even the state RMVs do a better job then 2-3 months wait. Why is our Federal gov't still stuck in mid 20th century way of doing business? I understand that they may have budget/personnel related delays issuing the original certificate, etc. But in that case this temp. printout would address the delay without creating add'l problems.
Old 23-03-2017, 07:28   #69

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

What I really find interesting is that it's actually faster to RENEW your Certificate of Documentation (COD) at the "REAL" USCG National Vessel Documentation Center

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/default.asp

The other issue that unsuspecting boaters will run into with the "FAKE" site, beside paying $75 for a $26 renewal is that now you paided $75 to who knows who, 45 days in advance.

The "REAL" USCG National Vessel Documentation Center will send you a letter in the mail 30 days in advance to RENEW your Certificate of Documentation (COD) for $26.

You just payed the "FAKE" site $75 dollars 15 days ago.
Now you get the REAL USCG Notice for a $26 payment. Do you Pay The "REAL" USCG National Vessel Documentation Center.

Do you put your arm up in the air and hope the "FAKE" site paid the "REAL" USCG site.

A lot of time and added stress will be spent on the phone with the FAKE guy and the REAL USCG and finger pointing will be rampant and you the Boater that was trying to do the right thing will be in the middle, wasting a lot of your time on what should have taken only 10 minutes to do your own yearly renewal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REAL USCG.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	143767  
Old 23-03-2017, 07:35   #70

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I called one of the local <superlarge>"fake"</superlarge> boat detail companies. They said they couldn't get out for 3 days. Then they wanted to charge me $100 more than the $5 worth of soap to wash the boat. Luckily I figured out their <bold><red>"scam"</red></bold> and just washed it myself and was done in the same day. I'm on 911 right now to deal with them... </sarcasm>

Old 23-03-2017, 07:45   #71

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The Easy 1, 2, 3 "fake site" includes recent USCG processing dates that are useful for gauging expected completed documentation delivery, as-shown here.

CASE PROCESSING DATES AS OF 03/03/17
Fish Initial Application: 03/01/17
Fish Reissue: 02/23/17
Commercial Initial Application: 02/27/17
Commercial Reissue: 02/23/17
Recreational Initial Application: 12/21/16
Recreational Reissue: 12/21/16
Mortgages and Related Instruments: 1/30/17
Notices of Claim of Lien: 01/22/16
Satisfactions: 12/19/16
Deletion with fees: 02/24/17
Certificates of Ownership: 03/01/17
Research: 03/01/17
Abstract Processing: 03/01/17

To note, the "fake site" shows that the recreational reissue entered into the USCG system on 12/21/16 is completed on 3/3/17.
Old 23-03-2017, 07:58   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Wingless,

Just be sure to let us know how your refund goes.

Copyright 2017 U.S. VESSEL DOCUMENTATION | All Rights Reserved. U.S. Vessel Documentation is NOT the U.S. Coast Guard or the National Vessel Documentation Center; we are a third party agency that handles USCG Documentation processing to NVDC.
Thanks for reminding us.

Two things:

Reading Comprehension 101

Comparative Shopping 101

Both seem to be going out of style these days.

Disclaimer: from a boater who has never seen the need for documentation unless one was going (way, way) overseas. While many of us here do exactly that, I'd be willing to bet that 100:1 most reading this and other boating forums where this scam has been posted are lucky to have sailed more than 100 nm away from their home berths. I sailed my boat from SF to Vancouver Island last summer with ONLY a California state license. Gee, over an international boundary without documentation. Gasp!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 23-03-2017, 08:08   #73

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

wingless,

The true benefit will be when the FAKE site post.

1) How many unhappy customers they have.

2) If they provide $75 refunds.

3) How long does it take to get arbitration to handle refunds.

Fake USCG Registration - Trawler Forum

What we have seen so far is the unhappy customers are LINING up for $75 refunds.

I have no skin in this GAME. Just trying to help others boaters here to try and avoid the trap that you fell into.

I suspect you are working for this FAKE site, as you are singing there song loud and clear. Good for you, now we all know your FAKE SONG.
Old 23-03-2017, 08:22   #74

Contrary to what some here may believe "free market" is not when one party has all the info and the other party in a deal is clueless. Free market is when a deal is done at arm's length (meaning no fraud, collusion, threats or other untoward behavior by either party) and BOTH parties have all the pertinent information and have legal and mental capacity to enter into the transaction.

In the OP's example I would have no problem if the private business would clearly state up front (not in their very small print somewhere at the bottom of the page) that they are providing 3rd party service to those who do not wish to deal with USCG directly. Similar to auto insurance agents or auto dealers charging $20-25-50-100 for an RMV run when a car buyer needs to physically register their car. Some people just don't have the time to stand in line and would gladly pay that much or even more for the service. That's free market and capitalism. This "documentation service" the way it presents itself is much more closer to the Nigerian scammer than to an RMV run service.

PS IMO predatory or fraudulent capitalism can never be a "free market capitalism" by definition.
Old 23-03-2017, 08:54   #75

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Signup for email renewal notices. Pay online at pay.gov. Problem solved.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, registration