Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2007, 02:15   #16

i received an email from d in the night, she is fighting hard out there and is in very good spirits. she has the boat going closehauled in big seas, the storm is still ferocious. she is unflappable in the midst of this mayhem. i am very proud of her, she has become an excellent sailor. she could use funds for her satphone; she has no epirb and it is her only way of sending out her position, so if any sailors would like to help, see her site donnalange.com < Donna Lange the Musician, the Sailor >and you can buy a cd, she is a talented musician. she is updating her log every morning. rhode island has declared april 21st captain donna lange day, when she was to arrive in bristol and she will receive a joshua slocum award, though she doesn't know this yet, its a surprize. i told her there are many sailors here supporting her and following her voyage.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 05:19   #17

i found this link on bermuda weather this morning showing the low circulating of the east coast, very dramatic this morning:

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin...info=wv&zoom=1

bermuda is the blue dot in the center
Old 17-04-2007, 13:39   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
UPDATE FROM PHONE CONVERSATION WITH DONNA (Neil VanGundy)
Tuesday, 04:16 EST (Winds 50 kts Location: N3155 W6730)

"I just talked to Donna. I've never heard her so distressed. She keeps saying don't worry but she was very emotional. I gave her all the energy I could. I've never heard her cry until now. Donna is having to steer manually which means she'll be tied to the tiller until she get's to Bermuda. She says, "why does it have to be so hard?" She has rigged an extenstion to the arm which allows her to be part way inside. Donna hopes the seas will calm slightly at sunset like they did last night. She was able to close-haul and allow the boat to better steer itself, even though its not the most optimum direction toward Bermuda. If this works she can try to slip into a less concious state of rest. She is trying to stay as warm as possible, very aware of her condition. It was very hard to know what to say to her. Except, you can do it Donna, I know you can...
"
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 14:16   #19
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
WoW That is one mean looking storm and one very small boat! (28 feet)
I hope she gets in port soon, how far out is she now?
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 14:34   #20

This is one tough woman, but it appears that her mettle is being tested. I hope she can make it in that boat and if she can't the coasties can pick her up.

Is she in contact with Herb? What are the present conditions she is facing?

If I understood correctly she is close hauling it to Bermuda? Why doesn't she run toward to USA coast? As you can see I am a bit confused.

What a gal! She deserves all the honor she will be getting. Godspeed Donna!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 17:54   #21

Donna is about 120 miles west of Bermuda and 500 miles (plus the Gulf Stream) from the U.S. east coast.

The thinking, as I understand it, is to head for Bermuda for some rest and a chance to sort out the wind vane that may have been damaged in the storm before continuing to Rhode Island.
Old 18-04-2007, 05:57   #22

i heard from d this morning, she's had a sleep on the cabin sole and eaten and is pushing on to bermuda, 100nm to go. she's in good spirits!
Old 18-04-2007, 06:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
"MONDAY, APRIL 16, 1:50 PM EST
"DONNA'S SEA ANCHOR HAS JUST FAILED. She has no choice but to sail. She is now on the move to Bermuda, 285 nautical miles East from her current location."

In recent days there have been a number of us sitting in safe harbors discussing storm tactics, para-anchors, boat size, safety gear, etc. Now, as I am posting this update from Donna Lange's web site, a very remarkable woman is putting it all to the test, singlehanded, on a 28 ft boat in the middle of a dangerous Atlantic storm.
sea anchor off the bow, right?

I wonder what a Jordon Series Drogue off the stern would have done?

She's putting gear to the real test.

I can't imagine being there.

I wish her the best

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 11:29   #24

She is safe in Bermuda. Well done!!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 12:16   #25

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
So glad she's safe! If anyone's interested they are taking donations on her website to buy a ticket to fly her home for a short recovery visit with her family... every little bit helps.

Mark
Old 19-04-2007, 13:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mark
So glad she's safe! If anyone's interested they are taking donations on her website to buy a ticket to fly her home for a short recovery visit with her family... every little bit helps.

Mark
And then there is the task of getting the boat back in one piece and ready for the final leg to Rhode Island.

Both Donna and that little (28') Southern Cross double-ender did an admirable job in 60+ kts of wind with 30'+ seas over the course of the last four days.
Old 19-04-2007, 14:00   #27

That is such good news! I was quite concerned about DL and her little boat. What a sailor!

OK... people.. kick in a little love in the form of legal tender...

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 14:31   #28

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
I have been following Donna's saga on this website and am relieved that she has made landfall. I've never heard of Donna prior to this event. I did visit her website and was pretty impressed with her accomplishments. She is a better sailor than I and a stronger one as well.

I like the idea of contributing to her cause and help her complete this amazing journey. I will pledge $25. Not much money but if we could get 100 or more to do the same, it could go a long way in getting her home and repairs to her stout little vessel.

A small donation doesn't cost us anything (other than a couple beers and burger) but can make a difference. This thread has had over 700 hits so far so we should be able to help her home.

HERON
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 08:31   #29

i've just gotten off the phone with donna after more than an hour of yakking, she is so amazing, she seems completely restored to her old self after a day's rest and if it were not for her wind vane needing attention and her welcoming party, i think she would be heading right back out to sea! seriously! i told her about the good wishes and support everyone here was sending her and she was very touched. she talked alot about how much she loves her little boat and how rugged and steadfast it is. i will see her next week at the welcoming party which is very exciting as i haven't seen her since she left for bristol from the vi!
Old 21-04-2007, 10:59   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
OK... people.. kick in a little love in the form of legal tender...

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s[/quote]

Why? (serious question, actually) Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote