Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 10:49   #16

Re: Dengue in the Bahamas

News report last week on Dengue.... I thought they were talking in the Pac NW!... ? They showed the type of skeeter to look for...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 10:49   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"

teejayevans:
First, they say the mosquito that transmits DF feeds during the day

Right. The mostly day feeding was what I remembered also. This is from CDC website:
"The mosquitoes that spread dengue usually bite at dusk and dawn but may bite at any time during the day, especially indoors, in shady areas, or when the weather is cloudy."
Outbreak Notice: Dengue, Tropical and Subtropical Regions - Travelers' Health - CDC
Old 21-09-2011, 13:59   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is a blue outlined part of the map showing the danger areas--in hot tropical zones including florida and up half baja and most of mnexico. is on cdc map in article earlie rin this thread.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 20:17   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

It seems theatt the unwanted "guests" might be bringing itin along with a host of other tropical diseases and TB etc.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 05:24   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Actually, the tropical disease experts say that the advent of widespread air travel in the 60s was the cause of the spreading of Dengue, so it's the tourists you have to watch out for,not illegal immigrants "guests".

We had a few cases of Dengue here on Nevis last year. The government sent health department employees around to every home on the island, handing out a flier explaining where mosquitoes breed and how to eliminate standing water. They walked around our property checking to see if there was anything holding water.

Most of our mosquitoes are a small variety that doesn't seem to be a disease vector. I watch out for the larger Aedes aegypti, which is the vector for Dengue and Yellow Fever (which we don't have here). I've had a few of them land on me over the years, but so far have managed to squash them before they bit me.

Aedes aegypti...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aedes aegypti.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	31905  
Old 22-09-2011, 05:38   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

World trade in used tires was a very big factor in spreading mosquito varieties around the world. My understanding is that West Nile Virus was carried to New York on cargo/container ships and has spread across NA.

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/11/10504/h...mls2/prh8.html

http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/uc185.pdf
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 10:45   #22

Boat: Oyster 55

stating there is dengue in the Caribbean is like stating there is flu in the U.S.
no big deal for most persons however the Hemorrhagic Dengue in the South Pacific is another story!!
got Dengue when I was in Jamaica, got the flu when I was in the U.S.
of course very few things in life are for sure so if you are going to die from dengue pick Jamaica, much more scenic than the Bahama's!
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 11:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
stating there is dengue in the Caribbean is like stating there is flu in the U.S.
no big deal for most persons however the Hemorrhagic Dengue in the South Pacific is another story!!
got Dengue when I was in Jamaica, got the flu when I was in the U.S.
of course very few things in life are for sure so if you are going to die from dengue pick Jamaica, much more scenic than the Bahama's!

Hemorrhagic form of Dengue is also in the Caribbean.
Old 30-12-2011, 13:30   #24

Boat: Oyster 55

Misiu,
You are absolutely right and I now do remember reported cases in Venezuela which is "The Caribbean" however please do educate me on any cases that have been reported in any of the Islands of the Caribbean.
If I remember there are 4 viral serotypes which do produce Dengue and the Hemorrhagic type is far more common in the Pacific and Southeast Asia.
A "hemorrhagic" outcome can occur in many viral infections and may be the reason for the so called hemorrhagic reports in South America. I would love to know the serotypes of the Hemorrhagic variety found .
Unfortunately Dengue is an emerging infectious disease that probably will be much more common in North America as the Aedes mosquito become more acclimatized to colder weather.
Guess we have a lot to look forward too.
Thanks again for the information.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:24   #25

There is some older info here which might help:
Global situation of dengue and dengue ha... [World Health Stat Q. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 30-12-2011, 17:23   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. One of the nasty things on the move. Cabo Verde was affected badly last year.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas