Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 12:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Cuba looking to expand boating tourism

Looks like for those of us who are not Americans that Cuba is going to get a while lot easier to visit by boat.

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/exter...apitalist-pigs
Old 28-11-2013, 14:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Cuba looking to expand boating tourism

all very well being able to stay in the marina,but can you actually cruise anywhere and anchor freely on the south coast without being accousted by gunboats?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 14:25   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
all very well being able to stay in the marina,but can you actually cruise anywhere and anchor freely on the south coast without being accousted by gunboats?
Who knows. The point is that one must crawl before one can walk before one can run. This is the first great step.
Old 28-11-2013, 14:29   #4

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Always heard cruising wasn't an issue for much of the island...just happens which "commandante" you run across....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 14:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Who knows. The point is that one must crawl before one can walk before one can run. This is the first great step.
i totally agree,what a fantastic cruising destination!,a bit like the san blas,20 years ago!

viva la revolution!.......in yachting that is
Old 28-11-2013, 15:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Anchored extensively in 2009. I personally feel it it VERY over rated cruising wise.

If you have a close read of Calders book you will note he identifies about 90 total miles of coast as good cruising.

I will go back at some point in next several years and perhaps do a bit more inland travel.
Old 28-11-2013, 16:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Anchored extensively in 2009. I personally feel it it VERY over rated cruising wise.

If you have a close read of Calders book you will note he identifies about 90 total miles of coast as good cruising.

I will go back at some point in next several years and perhaps do a bit more inland travel.
hard to belive,but i guess if you have just come from the icw,or bahamas,then everything is relative!

as far as i can see the whole island has really exciting oppotunities on all of its coasts with many land locked hurricane hole bays,and offshore reef cay/island anchorages during the trade wind season,and safe havens for the hurricane season.

but then again maybe it is me! having cruised most of the east coast of africa where others feared to tread!

maybe a better take on the country here,calders guide is described as getting "old"
http://www.cubacruising.net/html/10_tips.html
Old 28-11-2013, 16:22   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Well the water is pretty murky like the Florida keys in most areas. I believe there is still some decent diving in some areas, but no easy snorkeling in any anchorages.

Couple the hassles of dealing with the officials with the fact i would have gotten ZERO diplomatic help with a problem; it was overall disappointing. We sailed from Havana west and then around to Cayo Largo South to Cayman.

A Canadian friend continued all the way east and then N to the Bahamas. They didn't have much better to report.

On other issue is the officials are beginning to ask for "gifts" everywhere. I felt comfortable with small ones especially since they could really screw an American if they wanted to.

Several commonwealth friends that had been there before were appalled at the changes in this regard specifically and I would imagine will only get worse if they continue to be paid pennies and have to handle many more boats.
Old 28-11-2013, 16:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Well the water is pretty murky like the Florida keys in most areas. I believe there is still some decent diving in some areas, but no easy snorkeling in any anchorages.

Couple the hassles of dealing with the officials with the fact i would have gotten ZERO diplomatic help with a problem; it was overall disappointing. We sailed from Havana west and then around to Cayo Largo South to Cayman.

A Canadian friend continued all the way east and then N to the Bahamas. They didn't have much better to report.

On other issue is the officials are beginning to ask for "gifts" everywhere. I felt comfortable with small ones especially since they could really screw an American if they wanted to.

Several commonwealth friends that had been there before were appalled at the changes in this regard specifically and I would imagine will only get worse if they continue to be paid pennies and have to handle many more boats.
+1.......Haiti looks good on google maps as well
shame really,but there is hope,if countries like mozabique,angola,tanzania can turn themselves around after being toys of the superpowers,so can cuba.
Old 28-11-2013, 17:48   #10

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+1.......Haiti looks good on google maps as well
shame really,but there is hope,if countries like mozabique,angola,tanzania can turn themselves around after being toys of the superpowers,so can cuba.
Well said.
Old 28-11-2013, 21:47   #11

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
We cruised most of the NE coast. We had an excellent time in the islands with the fishermen but helps if you speak Spanish and like rough rum and lobsters.

The negative was the bureaucracy in the official ports so we quickly learnt to stay away from them.

You have to beat into the trades or wait for a norther to really do some miles to the east.

In Vita we hired a car and toured about, just sleeping in the car. Great place, would love to go back....

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote