Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 07:52   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
Where is the best place to find accurate information on crimes against cruisers? There are sites that talk about piracy, but it would be interesting to find a source that charts robbery/violence against private vessels only.
Piracy and Armed Robbery
Old 17-08-2010, 08:25   #47

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
As I stated there are sites regarding Piracy that includes commercial vessels, but I was interested in reported offences against Sailboats or Yachts.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:41   #48

Boat: Alpha 42 #3
Here's a start towards some info re piracy on private yachts: No pirate attacks on yachts in 2010 | Sailing news | Yachting Monthly

Here's a world map of all piracy for 2010: Live Piracy Map

I guess staying out of the active areas is not a bad idea... never know when they'll get bored by a lack of big commercial stuff.

Krol
cruisingkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 08:48   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As I stated there are sites regarding Piracy that includes commercial vessels, but I was interested in reported offences against Sailboats or Yachts.
the IMO reports include both - you have to look through the monthly reports and parse the yacht attacks (very rare) from the commercial ones.
Old 17-08-2010, 09:40   #50

Yes I know, but not all attacks on cruisers are listed as Piracy. I also found other general piracy sites.

I just wondered if there was anywhere where cruisers kept track of cruisers incidences. You can search on robbery or burglary or piracy and get different results. And it looks like there may not be a place where cruiser information is gathered.

The thing is, we hear how xxx is not safe, and don't go to yyy. But these locations are not listed as having attacks in any reports I have read. Most information cruisers hear from other cruisers that heard it from other cruisers that heard it ..... Well ..... we just can't take that as very reliable - can we?
Old 17-08-2010, 10:03   #51

For crimes against cruisers in the Caribbean islands, go here:

Reports

This is far from and does not purport to be comprehensive; it relies on self reporting; but it gives good detail; and it is purely cruiser oriented.

My personal view is that places where boat boys are customary are safer - provided you hire one.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 10:12   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes I know, but not all attacks on cruisers are listed as Piracy. I also found other general piracy sites.

I just wondered if there was anywhere where cruisers kept track of cruisers incidences. You can search on robbery or burglary or piracy and get different results. And it looks like there may not be a place where cruiser information is gathered.

The thing is, we hear how xxx is not safe, and don't go to yyy. But these locations are not listed as having attacks in any reports I have read. Most information cruisers hear from other cruisers that heard it from other cruisers that heard it ..... Well ..... we just can't take that as very reliable - can we?
Jimmy Cornwell's www.noonsite.com is probably the closest you're going to get. I actually think the IMO reports are, if anything, a little too liberal in their interpretation of piracy. Some of the stuff is simply theft at anchor. In other incidents of "attempted attacks" there's not all that much evidence to support the idea that it was pirates and not something else.
Old 17-08-2010, 10:52   #53

slomotion, this looks great and covers theft, robbery and beatings, etc. ( I wish you could sort by year) - sneuman, check it out! I have looked at noonsite and it is good but this is better for cruisers!
Old 17-08-2010, 11:36   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
No; I’m not suggesting manipulation. I am suggesting that a country’s “Peacefulness” (according to this index) does not necessarily relate to it’s safety.

Ie: I don’t imagine that the
“Military capability/sophistication*” really affects my personal safety whilst cruising the country.

* Qualitative assessment of the grade of military sophistication and the extent of military research and development. Ranked 1-5 (very low-very high) by EIU Analysts. Source: Economist Intelligence Unit.
USA = 5
Starting with the simple selection of various 'indicators', you can induce selection bias (or outright fraud) in the analysis. The indicator of infant mortality is total BS, since the WHO (the collectors of such data) admit that the numbers are whatever a country provides, using whatever criteria they want, and no effort is made to validate that the data is correct, or normalize the data between different countries.

For example, in the US an infant that is born (takes a single breath) and then unfortunately dies before taking another is counted as a live birth: Some western European countries only count those children who survive the first week, other countries don't even attempt to keep records and just make data up. Likewise, Japan scores highly on longevity, but they've recently found that a large number of very elderly folks (which skew their demographics towards longer lives) are in fact dead - and in some cases have been for decades, making Japan's demographic data suspect.

And the number of military personnel per 100,000 in Switzerland is BS as well: Every Swiss male (50% of the population more or less) is a member of the military reserve...so how does Switzerland rank so low? Could it be politics at play?

The qualitative assessment of the military sophistication has nothing to do with peacefulness, either. Simply having a sophisticated military doesn't mean it's being used in any non-peaceful manner. Again, Switzerland is very sophisticated...

Sorry, but this is just more leftist twaddle wrapped up in bad statistics.

And you're right, safety and peacefulness are different.
Old 17-08-2010, 11:50   #55

Boat: Finnsailer 38
You can't characterize likely cruising destinations by what a country's statistics show. Just for instance, lumped into crime in the U.S. is what happens in Detroit, Newark, and Atlanta, but you are unlikely to visit those places by boat. On the other hand, you can safely leave your boat unlocked and unattended in most of Maine without a worry, while the chances of a violent crime against a cruiser are practically zero there. Also, the U.S. has great contrasts. While I might lock my dinghy carefully in southern Florida I might leave it unlocked all summer long on a dock in Massachusetts. Same in other countries too. Colon in Panama is pretty dangerous, but crime is low in the San Blas Islands, a place well worth visiting.
Kettlewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 12:48   #56

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Lies, damned lies, and statistics. The piracy map gives a better picture and pretty much confirms what I know. A few isolated incidents in the caribean,(probably related to bump in's with smugglers). A ton off of Somalia. And a few in China sea off of Thialand and Philipines, (Islamic extremists)
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:16   #57

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Yes, Maine is incredibly safe, unless the skipper decides to start pulling up lobster pots...then, it can be as dangerous as anywhere in the world
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:19   #58

Europe is generally OK. Portugal is excellent with few formalities - the police zoom around ones yacht and take digital photos and that's it! Beware of cruising off North Africa as one is liable to become accosted by short range inshore motorboats whose occupants demand to be taken to the Canary Islands (they usually have guns) Once they reach the Canary Islands they are in the European Union. Needless to say the guns are thrown overboard once swimming distance is reached and this can make life awkward for the skipper as he has been carrying illegal immigrants; why? where are the guns? Keep at least 50 miles off the African coast although 100 miles is better. I heard about what could have been a nasty incident off Trinidad I think it was. Fishermen a great distance off were waving and holding up fish. Closer inspection with binoculars revealed that one of them had a rifle. Solution was to start the engine and motorsail at maximum possible speed (it is very difficult for British citizens to obtain firearms so anything British flagged is probably unarmed - warships excepted) Fortunately the fishing boat could not keep up. One does hear stories about yachts-persons being murdered. Money and valuables are taken and the boat is then scuttled. In some countries you can legally buy a little help. A friend who planned to sail through the Molloca Straits was told the following by a customs man "Blimey mate if you're going up there you're gonna need a rifle!" After trying out a lot of stuff he purchased an AK47 in New Zealand. He took 200 rounds of normal ammo and 600 rounds of armour piercing. In terms of bang-for-your-buck this is definitely the best deal you can get and the results with AP are phenomenal, excellent value for money. Unfortunately he had to put in to Noumea. The French went crazy and arrested his yacht. He was forced to sell it where it was and lost a small fortune. Buyer of it was a policeman - say no more except travel broadens the mind. I did hear about brave people sailing in convoy off Somalia (it was long ago). One US yachtsman had a pirate come aboard without permission, BANG! and the pirate was dead in the water. Perfectly reasonable don't you think?
Davey1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:30   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Methinks you live in a more dangerous world than do I, Davey...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:41   #60

This is another example of ' I heard it from a sailor that heard it from .....'