Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2008, 12:58   #1

Boat: 53' Grand Alaskan - Panache
Cost of Diesel

I am trying to put together an idea of what it's going to cost cruising the caribbean beginning in August and one of the big parts is going to be the cost of fuel. Can someone get back to me on today's cost on any of the caribbean islands plus Virgin Islands and Bahamas. I will be cruising on a motor vessel so not nearly as efficient as you sailors. Thx.........Ed
ed stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 00:04   #2

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
In St Thomas and BVI, diesel at marinas will be $4/gallon plus or minus a bit. You can do a bit better in St Thomas by using a petroleum supplier to deliver to your boat thus avoiding the marinas. Should be almost $1 a gallon cheaper on St Croix.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:23   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
It's been a while since I fueled up, but a friend who sailed in recently from St Maarten said he had paid about $5 US per gallon. Price will vary depending on which island and how it's delivered. For example, if you buy from Daffodil in Admiralty Bay on Bequia, you'll pay a bit of a premium--they come alongside your anchored boat and pump it from tanks on a little barge.

How far south do you intend to cruise?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:32   #4

Those prices are about what I was thinking however I was hopeing not to see $5/gallon. Right now my plan is to get to southern Grenada by Sept. 1st. However I'm waiting on insurance to tell me how far south I've gotta go.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:37   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Ed,

It's not necessarily a hard an fast rule. My insurance underwriter specified 10deg 30min as the southern extent of the "box", but was willing to negotiate an added "premium" which allowed me to keep in Grenada (Grenada Marine, St David's) summer before last, and Antigua (Bailey's) last summer. It was worth it to me not to have to go to Trinidad or Venezuela.

BTW, if you need any recommendations on where the diesel sources are as you head down-island, I'm sure Kesey or I could give you some tips.

Regards,
Old 01-02-2008, 04:45   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Come to Trinidad and Venezuela with empty tanks. I just bought some dinghy fuel in Trinidad yesterday and it was $1.67/gal. Didn't notice the diesel price, but am sure it is less. Venezuela is lower still.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Ed,
It's not necessarily a hard an fast rule. My insurance underwriter specified 10deg 30min as the southern extent of the "box", but was willing to negotiate an added "premium" which allowed me to keep in Grenada (Grenada Marine, St David's) summer before last, and Antigua (Bailey's) last summer. It was worth it to me not to have to go to Trinidad or Venezuela.
I noticed that Al Golden, one of the premiere Marine Insurance brokers*, has joined our forum.
Perhaps he might joint in here, or you could PM him.

Excerpted from his earlier comments at: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post19913

Capt. Bil:
We aren't too happy with the change in the southern boundary either.
(BTW it's 10̊50' North)

Keep in mind though, that:
1. The Jackline policy does NOT say that your yacht can't be in the box during the period, but simply excludes Tropical Windstorm damage if it is.
2. That means you can still cruise anywhere in your normal navigation area, as long as you're willing to accept the Tropical Windstorm risk.
3. Further, there's hardly any place down island that isn't a day or two sail from from the covered area, so upon any kind of warning you just get on your horse and head south.
Fair winds, Al Goden

Al Golden profile: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lden-1840.html

* International Marine Insurance Services
IMIS Home Page

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:32   #8

Gentlemen, I thank you for these replies. That fuel price in Trinidad/Venezuala looks mighty tempting. If I fill up in St. Thomas by the time I got to Trinidad to fill up again I could probably make that last quite awhile. Something to think about. Hud, I will probably get back to you off this thread and mediator thank you for that broker info.........Ed
Old 01-02-2008, 06:50   #9

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
There was a previous post claiming diesel at $0.04 a litre on Margarita Island. Was this ever verified as true?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:39   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmul View Post
There was a previous post claiming diesel at $0.04 a litre on Margarita Island. Was this ever verified as true?
Sort of ...

Excerpted from

“Cruising Venezuela: Mochima, The Golfo & Blanquilla"
January 22, 2008

by Shane & Sara Kelley, s/v Dream Chaser

“... Getting fuel on the water is usually quite simple, but the "diesel boat" was out of commission. Normally, the diesel boat would come out to the boat. But this time we launched the dinghy and buzzed down the bay about 2 miles to the fuel dock which is really only for the fishing boats. The dock, which is permanent and made of concrete with big concrete pilings and rusty metal pieces poking out of the cement, is about 10 feet above our heads. It was difficult to hang on and keep us from being sucked under the dock with the surge of the ocean. The gas attendant began to hand us down the fuel pump, but he hesitated because we were "Americanos" and he said he was not allowed to sell fuel to us. Nevertheless, after a few minutes he finally agreed to sell it but for a higher price. Without him telling us what the price would be, he dropped down the nozzle to us and we filled our 6 - 5 gallon fuel cans full of diesel. The price ended up being 10 cents a gallon, rather than the normal 4 cents! It made him very happy considering he probably pocketed the extra, plus we gave him a tip for the trouble, which amounted to 60 cents. We did have to make one more trip back for another 30 gallons and he did not hesitate at all the second time around..."

Goto:
Cruising Venezuela: Mochima, The Golfo & Blanquilla | Cruising With s/v Dream Chaser

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:20   #11

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Mickmul

I have a friend who sailed back from Margarita Island with fuel containers lashed all over his sailboat last November. He paid 10 cents/gallon which is the same price it was four years ago there.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 15:00   #12
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
And I can confirm the price remains about 10 cents a gallon as of two weeks ago.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 15:12   #13

Reportedly, on the mainland in Puerto La Cruz, VZ you can no longer 'legally' sell fuel to foreigners at the domestic rate. This may not be so on duty-free Margarita. In any case, about 6 years ago no one there paid too much attention to laws enacted in Caracas. At that time PLC was pretty much the cruising power boat capital of the Caribbean. We paid $.25 per gallon for diesel at the fuel dock. Hmmm - maybe we got ripped off - I can live with that.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 15:30   #14
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I was referring to Margarita Island and no, there don't seem to be any prohibitions on selling to non-residents at the domestic price.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 15:48   #15

Southern Star,

I hear you - we almost bought a condo on Margarita. Even without the bargain fuel, any Caribbean cruiser who skips the VZ islands is missing some spectacular cruising.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel