Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 19:39   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Susan,

Hopefully life will bring you a nice insurance claim check so you can get back on the the market and keep your dream alive!

Best,
Aaron
My sediments exactly Susan..glad you and your crew are safe at least...its hard i know but it was just a boat after all..that can be replaced ..you cant be..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:34   #47

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowbythebay View Post
Hi, Again.
I am a novice. But it was explained to me. This way. The bronze fitting of the thru hull blew on the starboard side. As an investigation was started as the why this may have happened, (weather was balmy and seas quiet) they foung the chain plate was pulled from the hull...just slightly.. It was the mounting piece , where the chain plate was attached to near or at the "knee" elbow ??...Anyway my crew fixed the thru hull from the outside and stopped the water...arriving in gallons. We sailed to keep this starboard repair above the water line as best we could. If the wind shifted, we motored ...trying to protect the repair.
We finally ran out of Deisel and had to call the coast guard for a rescue of sorts. We brought more than double the amount of fuel for a journey like this...assuming we would sail at least 1/2 the way. But with the injury, it was not enough. We worried about stress on the Main Mast, with the chainplate problem. They rigged some extra supports for the mast.

The coast guard intially declined our request, but as they realized we would be dead in the water...without the ability to sail or motor, they came. MY HEROS!

Not sure if I helped you understand the problem. My technical expertise is not great. This was the 2nd thru hull which had blown and was fixed in route!

Both repairs held for another 900 miles!

Every thru hull was searched and checked at the final disaster moments. the 3 men could not find the water source. Engine was swamped & Floor boards were almost starting to float as the final problem discovered. Remember it was noisy, dark and we were in an intense (unpredicted) storm for 8 hours plus.

My my first Atlantic voyage, it was really something! Lazy Jack was my gorgeous dream come true. I am soooo very sad! Susan
It would seem that the time to be searching for the closest port to put in for repairs (or in the least case a reassessment of the vessel's condition) would be immediately after the Coast Guard delivers the fuel off of the coast of Florida, and not continue on in a boat that appears to be falling apart around you. That is the type of decision-making that leads insurance companies to deny claims.

With that said, this reads like the boat was held together at the time of the 'survey' with bubblegum and duct tape.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:00   #48

Boat: Cheoy Lee 48 sloop
The closest nautical miles port WAS Beaufort!

The Coast Guard agreed with the Captains plan to continue to Beaufort.

It WAS the closest port in nautical miles. Their weather report was calm for the next 4 days.

The structural guy from the Coast Guard cutter checked damage & repair and said that the damage was supported as best possible at sea & we could continue. That's why they provided us with Fuel to continue motoring. No one could or did or offer a tow... or suggest we abandon the boat at that point.

Please! Stop second guessing when you don't know facts. Monday morning quarterbacking...
I had very good people who did the best they could.
Susan
nowbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:09   #49

Boat: Irwin 40
Susan
Try not to get upset with us we are trying to understand the situation and we all learn from these discussions. It is this type of critical talk that will help all of us including yourself be better prepared in the future. We all feel for your lose and how frustrated you must feel so bear with us. I for one am thankful you are open to talking to us all about this, it is rare that we get to hear the full story. your thoughts and insights will help others I am sure.

Thanks
Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:23   #50

Yes, That why I joined this forum...before I bought a boat

But I thought I would be learning from you..not the other way around.
Thanks for you kind comments Wayne.

When you are in the middle of the ocean, you act on your best information. That's all you've got. As the Coast Guard Leuten. JG exited Lazy Jack that day...he said if you need us again..call us.
No one thought we would.

Still waiting on insurance details...and a bit raw still from the disaster in my life. Helicopter rides and Storms at sea..not my forte.
I'm totally grateful for ALL the good people who saved my life that night. And all the encouragement found here.

Best regards, Susan
Old 11-12-2009, 08:43   #51

Boat: Irwin 40
funny how that works you came here to learn from us and end up teaching us a some things.

Aint life strange

And people ask me why I named my site projectboatzen.com lol

Wayne Canning, AMS
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:53   #52

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Armchair sailors

Susan,

Don't get upset with the some of the armchair sailors here. They don't realize that you don't sail up along the US coast to get to NC from Puerto Rico. You sail north into the Sargasso Sea, where you are far offshore, and then sail across the stream to get into NC. While you are in the Sargasso, any US port in Fl, Ga, and the Carolinas is about the same distance. You never dally in the Gulf Stream in the winter.

I'm sorry about the loss of your boat. I'm glad everyone was okay. You'll be able to get another boat, and now you have much more experience to double check the surveyors findings.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowbythebay View Post
The Coast Guard agreed with the Captains plan to continue to Beaufort.

It WAS the closest port in nautical miles. Their weather report was calm for the next 4 days.

The structural guy from the Coast Guard cutter checked damage & repair and said that the damage was supported as best possible at sea & we could continue. That's why they provided us with Fuel to continue motoring. No one could or did or offer a tow... or suggest we abandon the boat at that point.

Please! Stop second guessing when you don't know facts. Monday morning quarterbacking...
I had very good people who did the best they could.
Susan
I'd be interested in hearing exactly how 'off the coast of Florida' translates into Beaufort, NC being the 'closest port in nautical miles'. Be specific please.
"Peacock said the boat had earlier been boarded off Mayport, Fla., by the Cutter Harriet Lane. Peacock said he had no details about the boarding but thought it was to provide assistance."
Are you saying that Coast Guard Ensign Peacock is lying here....you really weren't off the coast of Mayport, FL?

'Structural guy' from the Coast Guard? Your translate 'supported as best possible at sea' to mean 'continue along your merry way'? The point is that when at sea or otherwise in water over one's head, it seems prudent to alter plans/course and head to the nearest port/land to effect repairs when the boat is coming undone, as two seacocks 'bursting' would certainly seem to indicate ( I know, I know....you claim that NC is closer to 'off the coast of Florida' than...Florida....Georgia....or S Carolina).

You're right, I don't know 'the facts'. And the difficult thing is...by the rambling, nonsensical explanations as to what exactly happened to cause the sinking, I'm not the only one.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:16   #54

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Nowbythebay,

I think you opened this discussion with the best of intentions, and I for one, would not be surprised if you chose to close it.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:17   #55

Ouch...never mind. I can't profess to know anything more than I was there.

Someday...I'll know what you know... Sorry to try to explain anything . Best regards , Susan...the only novice on board
Old 11-12-2009, 12:19   #56

Thanks...Just did.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:38   #57

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Good luck nowbythebay. Hope it turns out well. Some of us here believe you and thank you for your honesty. Ignore those who don't.
Do you know how they repaired the hole from the outside. I have always wondered what I would do in that situation. Did they glue/epoxy a board or something flexible over the hole?

Thanks,

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:39   #58
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I just deleted a couple of posts made by a single member.

We won't allow this thread to be turned in to an inquisition by one person. The purpose of discussing the loss of a boat at sea is to learn. To do that, we need to be mindful of the fact that the member who was involved has been through a very difficult experience. Susan was very gracious to join this thread and attempt to explain what happened. She should be treated with respect and understanding, not veiled accusations and barbed questions.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:46   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I just deleted a couple of posts made by a single member.

We won't allow this thread to be turned in to an inquisition by one person. The purpose of discussing the loss of a boat at sea is to learn. To do that, we need to be mindful of the fact that the member who was involved has been through a very difficult experience. Susan was very gracious to join this thread and attempt to explain what happened. She should be treated with respect and understanding, not veiled accusations and barbed questions.
Inquisition? Asking an individual to explain discrepancies in their story is an 'inquisition', 'veiled accusations' and 'barbed questions'? Gee, and here I thought the purpose of the thread was to attempt to ascertain what happened to cause the sinking.
Everybody who pays boat insurance has a vested interest in knowing since incidents such as this directly impact the insurance rates payed by all.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:50   #60

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
I'd be interested in hearing exactly how 'off the coast of Florida' translates into Beaufort, NC being the 'closest port in nautical miles'. Be specific please.
It appears that many points on the same latitude as points in northern florida (would be considered to the newspaper as "off") will be closer to points more northernly on the East Coast then to Florida.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee, lost