Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 15:11   #1

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Cata sank in the Caribbean on Sunday 24/01

Found the below news in a local french newspaper.
3 French sailors were picked up in the Mona canal between Porto Rico and the Dominican republic. They were picked up by another yacht, after 2 hours, floating. No information if they were in the water or in their emergency raft, but the cata was nearly totally under water at that moment. No information on what caused it, but for a cata to sink in 2 hours it must be serious.

================================================== =
Origine Figaro
Trois plaisanciers français ont été secourus dans le canal de la Mona, entre Porto Rico et la République dominicaine, avant que leur catamaran ne coule dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche, selon les garde-côtes américains. Les trois marins, âgés de 42, 48 et 72 ans, ont lancé un appel de détresse sur leur radio VHF dimanche vers 02h00 du matin quand leur bateau a commencé à prendre l'eau. Ils se trouvaient à environ 25 milles nautiques au sud-est de l'île de la Mona.

Les garde-côtes ont aussitôt lancé leurs recherches, avec un avion et un hélicoptère, et ils ont également alerté les navires se trouvant dans les environs. Moins de deux heures après l'appel de détresse, un autre bateau de plaisance qui naviguait dans les environs a trouvé les marins en difficulté et les a secourus. Ils portaient des gilets de sauvetage et ont pu être repérés grâce à une lampe clignotante. Leur catamaran était alors presque entièrement immergé.

Les trois plaisanciers français étaient partis de la République dominicaine vers Saint-Martin quand ils ont fait naufrage. Les garde-côtes n'ont pas précisé pourquoi le bateau avait sombré.
Le canal de la Mona, d'une largeur de 140 km, est un point de passage fréquenté entre la côte atlantique des Etats-Unis et le canal de Panama.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 15:22   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Cata sank in the Caribbean on Sunday 24/01

And in Anglais..

Three French sailors were rescued in the Mona Channel between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, before their catamaran sank on the night of Saturday to Sunday, according to the US Coast Guard. The three sailors, aged 42, 48 and 72 years, have launched a distress call on their VHF radio to Sunday 2:00 am when their boat began taking on water. They were about 25 nautical miles southeast of the island of Mona.

The coast guard immediately launched their research, with an airplane and a helicopter, and they also alerted ships in the vicinity. Less than two hours after the distress call, another pleasure boat that sailed in the area found the sailors in trouble and rescued them. They were wearing lifejackets and were able to be identified through a flashing lamp. Their catamaran was then almost entirely submerged.

The three French sailors had left the Dominican Republic to St. Martin when they were shipwrecked. The Coast Guard did not specify why the boat sank.

The Canal de la Mona, a width of 140 km, is a popular crossing point between the Atlantic coast of the United States and the Panama Canal.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:10   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Some more details here:
Coast Guard, crew of Good Samaritan sailing vessel rescue 3 French boaters in the Mona Passage | Coast Guard News

Coast Guard, crew of Good Samaritan sailing vessel rescue 3 French boaters in the Mona Passage

Jan 25th, 2016

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Coast Guard rescue crews and the crew of Good Samaritan sailing vessel rescued three French boaters from a sinking catamaran Sunday morning, approximately 25 nautical miles southeast of Mona Island, Puerto Rico.
The rescued men were transiting from the Dominican Republic to the island of St. Maarten at approximately 2 a.m. Sunday when their catamaran began taking on water and started to sink.
Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector San Juan received a “Mayday” call on VHF-Channel 16 from the distressed boaters who were unable to provide their position and only stated they were near the big rock west of Puerto Rico.
Coast Guard watchstanders proceeded to divert the Coast Guard Cutter Reef Shark and launch an HC-144 Ocean Sentry and MH-65D aircrafts to search. Watchstanders utilized Rescue 21 direction finding capabilities to determine the position of the distressed boaters’ VHF transmission. They also contacted and alerted the sailing vessel Ondine and the cargo ship Grand Sapphire that were transiting in the proximity of the distress to assist. Shortly thereafter, the crew of the sailing vessel Ondine reported seeing a flashing light and headed to investigate. Upon arriving to the area of the flashing light, the Ondine came upon and recovered the three French boaters from on top of the partially submerged vessel; they were all wearing lifejackets.
The Reef Shark rendezvoused with the Ondine, embarked the rescued men and transported them to Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, where they were transferred to awaiting Customs and Border Protection Field Operations officers.
“This case exemplifies the selfless actions of mariners going out of their way to rescue fellow mariners in need and also highlights the importance for boaters to have working VHF radios and life saving equipment,” said LuAnn Kehlenbach, U.S. Coast Guard Sector San Juan search and rescue mission coordinator. “Watchstanders were able to get a line of bearing on the VHF radio communication that narrowed down the search area and allowed for the prompt rescue and saving of three lives.”
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:20   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Bloody lucky.
Not more than a few hundred nms from there they wouldn't be sending up 2 aircraft, let alone hear a VHF call or have the VHF direction finder.

Again, I am amazed people in emergencies can't provide a latitude and longitude.

Here's a bit on that VHF locating kit. Note it only works 20nms off the coast of the USA (and PR obviously).

http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/rescue21/
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 19:38   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

It was 1995 in the Sea of Cortez when we heard a woman screaming on the VHF about needing immediate help for her husband.
There were lots of answers to her but she couldn't hear them because she wouldn't let go of the mic's transmit button.
When she finally did, she had the ears of a lot of people, but she couldn't give any location at all.
All we heard was stuff like,
"I'm in a two story power boat. It's white with blue canvas. Can't you see me? I'm waving out the window!"
Most of the people who heard her were in Marina San Carlos in Sonora Mexico.

Later, we found out she was at an island 25 miles away.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 21:50   #6

I've never been able to understand couples who buy a boat, one of them learns enough to get by, and the other learns absolutely nothing. If a girl wants to go sailing with me, the first time she's just a passenger and the point is to have a good time. If she asks questions and wants to learn, that's all the better but I never make the first outing feel like a lesson, just a few minutes of the most basis safety info. If she wants to go out again, then she has to learn how to use the VHF, find the boat's position from GPS and then find that point on a chart, know which flares to use when, etc. The third outing we practice MOB with a fender. I've never taken a girl on extended cruising, but I would probably send her to the RYA comp crew course first.
Old 25-01-2016, 22:40   #7

Boat: 55' sloop.

Every single person who steps aboard with me on whatever vessel, to go offshore or coastal sailing receives a safety brief including MOB procedure, distress signalling procedure, fire procedure, abandonment procedure, and medical procedure, including medical comms and location of kits. If participating in sailing or shortish handed, they also get a basic lesson in operation of the sails and engine, as part of the MOB briefing, as well as winch, boom and other basic safety.

It doesn't take long, as I have done it so many times.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 22:57   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^

Quite so, Muckle Flugga, and maybe you should re-post this post in the Captains responsibility to crew thread, as well!

Ann
Old 25-01-2016, 23:35   #9

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^

Quite so, Muckle Flugga, and maybe you should re-post this post in the Captains responsibility to crew thread, as well!

Ann
Thanks Ann… though I think I am done with the thread you mention, now. But yes, the above procedures can be condensed into a very effective half hour or so, for a short coastal trip, though a full offshore safety brief with me lasts anything up to three or four hours. In the latter case it may be longer still as I will often do boat handling/MOB drill if the crew is not up to speed. I rarely get any complaint, as most find it interesting. After all… the person who may need rescue may well be me, and this is somethig I emphasise, since they may suddenly find themselves alone on board. This happened to skipper James Ward, who failed to do even a basic safety brief. He died and the others aboard, including famous UK DJ Chris Evans were in actual and significant danger as well as they had not any idea how to manage or sail the boat, or even turn on nav lights or use the VHF! They were saved by placing a call to the 999 emergency services, equivalent of dialling 911 in the US. If they had not been able to do this, the situation could easily have involved further fatalities:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Evans 'saddened' by sea death

Chris Evans witnesses fatal sailing accident | Media | The Guardian
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 03:59   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Was the cat still floating when the rescuers left the scene? Could pose a hazard to navigation in what is a relatively busy area.
Old 26-01-2016, 10:10   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-II

" I've never taken a girl on extended cruising, but I would probably send her to the RYA comp crew course first." mcarling

This young lady told me she wanted to sail with you for an extended cruise. She has no sailing experience and really doesn't want to learn. Should I tell her you're not interested? Best, Rognvald
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikini girl.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	117685  
Old 26-01-2016, 12:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
It was 1995 in the Sea of Cortez when we heard a woman screaming on the VHF about needing immediate help for her husband.
There were lots of answers to her but she couldn't hear them because she wouldn't let go of the mic's transmit button.
When she finally did, she had the ears of a lot of people, but she couldn't give any location at all.
All we heard was stuff like,
"I'm in a two story power boat. It's white with blue canvas. Can't you see me? I'm waving out the window!"
Most of the people who heard her were in Marina San Carlos in Sonora Mexico.

Later, we found out she was at an island 25 miles away.
Some people really don't get it. I gave my ex a walkie talkie so we could stay in touch in a shopping mall. I call her and ask where she is. She replies "I'm over here". I honestly could not make her understand how that didn't tell me anything. For Myers-Briggs afficionados she was INFJ.
MaxWebXperienZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:40   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Every single person who steps aboard with me on whatever vessel, to go offshore or coastal sailing receives a safety brief including MOB procedure, distress signalling procedure, fire procedure, abandonment procedure, and medical procedure, including medical comms and location of kits. If participating in sailing or shortish handed, they also get a basic lesson in operation of the sails and engine, as part of the MOB briefing, as well as winch, boom and other basic safety.

It doesn't take long, as I have done it so many times.
My little kids at 4 and 6 years old could make a VHF call and use a GPS. Like you said, it was the first thing they had to learn. There were a few times they came close to needing those skills, and it was reassuring to me that they knew what to do.

It reminds of before cell phones. People used to be prepared and responsible for themselves and their safety. When cell phones came along, the tool box, first aid kit, maps/charts, spares, all got replaced with the cell phone. Aside from the CG, I've got no one to call. So I bring the toolbox, the first aid kit, the charts, spares, etc. And I think I've used every one.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:55   #14

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

But this cant be right

According to CF, cats dont sink

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:08   #15
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWebXperienZ View Post
Some people really don't get it. I gave my ex a walkie talkie so we could stay in touch in a shopping mall. I call her and ask where she is. She replies "I'm over here". I honestly could not make her understand how that didn't tell me anything. For Myers-Briggs afficionados she was INFJ.

Has anyone else noticed that no matter how many times a woman will tell you they know how to operate a house or automobile thermostat...it's very rare to find one that really does know ? And you can't explain it to them, they get mad and say "I'm NOT Stupid, you know!!!" and then proceed to turn the AC control all the way to max cold, engaging the compressor full time, and the fan all the way down to minimal air flow because any more than that is too cold. For the sixty thousandth time.
Why is this? I don't understand it.

Tags
Caribbean, rib