Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 02:59   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Castro dead at 90

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, iztok.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 04:49   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Castro dead at 90

I have always been more 'Che' than Castro.. be interesting to see how things develop in the light of how past dictatorships? have taken to democracy..

But.. he played the 'David' to the end in spite of everything thrown at them.. Respect Cuba..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:16   #78

Moorage is limited to government-owned marinas and requires a “despacio,“ an exit permit, for departure from each facility. Anchoring out is allowed but contact ashore is prohibited unless permission is granted by government officials, customs and immigration. In other words, you may anchor in remote areas, but stay on your boat. Current daily rate at Marina Hemmingway in Havana is 40 cents per foot with 10% discount for three-months or more. Electricity is available at extra charge and usually functions. There are limited yacht service facilities including haulout. Cuba has almost no private shops or stores. You won't find hardware stores, let alone chandleries. Some skilled workers are available but need permission to enter the marinas. Most Cubans work for the government, get free housing, food, education and medical care. But they typically earn only $30 to $50 per month. Many have permitted or unpermitted side businesses or hussles, often tourist-related, and earn far more. A skilled worker may moonlight on your boat, gladly accepting $25 to $30 per day. But bring your own supplies and materials. U.S. visitors are currently welcome by claiming one of a dozen U.S.-permitted "exception" purposes such as “Support for the Cuban people.“ Bring cash. U.S. credit and debit cards are useless. Watch out for pickpockets on public transportation. Wiring for money from the U.S. is extremely difficult. Don't ask me how I know! Slow speed Internet is available inside, and, incredibly, on the street outside of some hotels at the cost of $1 to $3 per hour. Look for groups of Cubans leaning over their cell phones, gathered on the sidewalks near the larger hotels. Inquire about buying both cell phone and Internet credit from either the official agencies, Cubatel y Nauta, respectively, or from street vendors. SIM cards are available for GSM-enabled phones at $40. Phone calls from the U.S. to Cuba cost 50 cents to $1 per minute. Texting to Cuba is free, but costs about 20 cents per 160 character text from Cuba to the U.S. through Cuballama.com. Online chatting and shaky video is available through IMO.com. The people are exceptionally warm and hospitable. A few view tourists as walking ATMs. So beware of street husslers. Public transportation costs about $3 for a taxi ride, 50 cents for a ride in an “almondrone," a 1950's collective taxi that picks up all comers, and 3 cents for a ride in a squish-em-in transit bus. But watch out for pickpockets on the buses. They know that tourists carry all cash. Don't ask. If you have trouble, the American Embassy, American Citizens Service is very helpful. They have the only reliable high-speed Internet and quality phone service on the island. GO TO CUBA BEFORE IT IS RUINED!
suenodelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 08:24   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think they actually do.
Except for this guy.

Cuban Artist Arrested for 'He's Gone' Graffiti Following Fidel Castro's Death - Breitbart
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 08:46   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Sorry to inconvenience you guys.
This is a sailing forum.

Can we get back to the subject of SAILING and the effects a change in the rulership of Cuba might have on it?

Next political deviation gets an infraction.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:17   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have spent 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back again removing non related posts to the subject that touch on other political rulers, murderers and what was the actual figure of the greatest mass murderer in history, the rights and wrongs of communism, Donald Trumps probability to screw up the future relationships and who cuts his hair.

It would have been easier to delete the thread.

Will you all just get a grip and remember CF is a sailing forum and in general we discuss sailing related matters. The Admin try to keep out of your discussions as much as possible but of late the mood of a lot of people is aggressive and self opinionated on all matters of the world and NOT related to sailing...

There is NOTHING personal in the removal of posts. You guys have no idea of the abuse that is hurled around at times behind the scenes. We have to make the CF a place of refuge for pigtailed little girls and puppy dogs... well perhaps not but there is a line in the sand in the rules.

Thanks for reading...

Old 28-11-2016, 09:37   #82

delete the thread...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:38   #83

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I have spent 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back again removing non related posts to the subject that touch on other political rulers, murderers and what was the actual figure of the greatest mass murderer in history, the rights and wrongs of communism, Donald Trumps probability to screw up the future relationships and who cuts his hair.

It would have been easier to delete the thread.

Will you all just get a grip and remember CF is a sailing forum and in general we discuss sailing related matters. The Admin try to keep out of your discussions as much as possible but of late the mood of a lot of people is aggressive and self opinionated on all matters of the world and NOT related to sailing...

There is NOTHING personal in the removal of posts. You guys have no idea of the abuse that is hurled around at times behind the scenes. We have to make the CF a place of refuge for pigtailed little girls and puppy dogs... well perhaps not but there is a line in the sand in the rules.

Thanks for reading...

Thanx for that Weavis...now onto the effects of Castro's passing and what type of gun I can bring with me to Cuba...just kidding
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:43   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
delete the thread...
Sandero

Do not comment on moderation. You are not a moderator and it will get you a strike.
Old 28-11-2016, 09:46   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thanx for that Weavis...now onto the effects of Castro's passing and what type of gun I can bring with me to Cuba...just kidding
All the mods know the difference between a joke and aggressive posts...
Old 28-11-2016, 09:58   #86

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

One thing we should definitely talk about is ground transportation. Taxi fares from Hemingway to Havana have been going up $10/year for the last three years (starting at $5, now $35). Renting a car for a day (and they are not nice cars) was $120+. If Cuba lifted the restrictions under a new regime, getting from the boat to the city would be far more affordable! References to shared taxis and buses notwithstanding, taxis are crazy expensive right now! Uber Cuba?
Aside from that and the obvious need for special permits for Americans, I'm not sure much would change terribly. Cigars, beer, and rum are easily accessible. The tourist sites are well-staffed and the fees are minimal. As in any large tourist city there are a plethora of horse drawn carriages and buses that come with tour guides included, and those are cheaper than the taxis! The hotels I saw appeared very comfortable, though everyone complained about the internet.
Having the restrictions lifted on home based restaurants would be phenomenal to open up less expensive and more traditional food scene that I am sure cruisers would appreciate.
Havana did appear to be in need of some heavy infrastructure investment. Marina Hemingway lavs were often overflowing with waste as water was only turned on two to four hours per day. Many of the beautiful colonial era structures are becoming ramshackle. And activities outside of the mainstream that would usually be the domain of small entrepreneurs (surf camps, windsurf rentals, etc ) seemed nonexistent.
Would be great to hear from those who have traveled farther from the marinas about what impact they see happening.
Is there a settlement type structure similar to the Bahamas around the anchorages? Small towns and natural wonders? Understand one currently can only get off the boat at marinas, so better ground transport or unrestricted anchoring might be the two biggest immediate effects. Both would be very helpful to cruisers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:03   #87

Boat: a sailing boat

So, when is the funeral?

I think they should make him in a glass coffin so that one can make sure he is dead.

Lenin got one.

https://cdn.taschen.com/custom/tasch...id_1063024.png

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:06   #88

Boat: Hunter 456 -46

Interestingly, Trump indicates that changes are going to have to be made to establish and maintain any kind of relationship.
Bill Creadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:19   #89

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Yup. Dunno if there's been any change but before it was like checking in and out Havana at Hemmingway marina and a couple of other ports. Then free to sail and anchor in most of Cuba..

BR Teddy
You are not allowed to go island hopping while in Cuba. We circumnavigated Cuba this past July-August and the following is what we had to do...

When getting your despacho to the next marina give the Customs agent a list of possible islands where you may stop while on your way. Tell him/her that if you get tired and need to stop that depending on when that happens you might be at one of the attached locations resting for your trip to the next marina. They greatly appreciated the preparedness.
Old 28-11-2016, 12:11   #90

Boat: Leopard L38

Cuba is not ready for the influx of gringos if things open up completely. Infrastructure is not in place to accommadate the current levels of tourism.
Internet is sketchy at best. Food is not good unless you eat at a Paladar, which are individuals that cook and serve food in their homes. Basic necessities can be hard to come by. I travel with an open mind a low expectations.
I thouroughly enjoyed the week I spent on the island. We hired a driver in Havana to drive us to Vinales and Pinar Del Rio and it was fantasic. The people were so kind and helpful and the countyside is beautiful.

If you have anykind of mechanical troubles you will be skrewed. There are nothing in the way of hardware stores let alone marine stores.

Follow the rules and be aware of your surroundings you will have no problems. If you speak spanish all the better. My wife and I are looking forward to returning. I know of members on this forum whom have sailed there and had no issues. my .02

Brian
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote