Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 15:21   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
(I thought he did...)
(with humor as a form of diplomacy to boot)
You may be right.

Old 05-12-2010, 16:01   #47

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
+1

So far we "know" the survivor was a 13 yo girl in her early 20's who swam overboard to escape whilst also waiting onboard and being missing..........

Right..........err..........got it...............ummm........

Keep me posted.
Old 05-12-2010, 16:02   #48

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Capital punishment certainly has been proven to not to be a deterrent in the USA. .

When I was young (yuck, yuck,), if someone was sentenced to death, they died. It was a BIG deterrent back then.

Seems to me that when something like this happens, we don't act, we react. Sometimes it works out for the best, other times, not so well.

When a guy recently tried to rob us in St. Lucia, we successfully humiliated the hell out of him in front of a very large group of his peers. The last we saw of him, they were working him over pretty good themselves. It sure could have been different. Life's a gamble.

If you don't know how to take care of yourself, don't leave home, it's a bad world out there. Really very simple. I have used guns to kill. they don't belong on my boat. Everybody sing; I'm dreamming of a white....
Old 05-12-2010, 16:16   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
I'm dreamming of a white....
It would appear your dreams have come true

better you than me!
Old 05-12-2010, 16:48   #50

First Rule – Stay away from places where danger is a probability

Second Rule – If you just have to be there, be prepared to defend yourself.
Old 05-12-2010, 17:08   #51

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
First Rule – Stay away from places where danger is a probability

Second Rule – If you just have to be there, be prepared to defend yourself.

That was kinda my point. Danger can be found easily anywhere, so always be prepared, not paranoid. "I'm dreaming of a white......
Old 05-12-2010, 17:55   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
"So begins an "arms race","

I'd say that began when someone decided they were stronger than you were, so they could take what you had. Way before they met you.

The law of club and fang, as Jack London said.

As to the rationality of criminals...There were extensive interviews with them on that exact subject, and many had comments like "And what, take the risk of getting shot?" to explain why they didn't victimize certain groups, or why they preferred breaking into empty homes instead of holding people up. Yeah, there are desperados out there, but the plain thugs and bullies are often cowards, who can be discouraged.
Old 05-12-2010, 19:10   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
You want my what?... Oh, I see, OK, but first let me introduce you to Mr Mossberg.

I ONLY cruise the Keys and Bahamas, and I get to keep my weapons wherever I go (in the boat)....

FACT: the unlawful among us care not whether the law says you can have a weapon or not. First rule of a gunfight: DON'T BE THERE; Second rule: Bring enough guns!
Old 05-12-2010, 19:37   #54

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I've almost been mugged in LA, bad neighborhood.
I've had my car stolen in Riverside, near LA, bad neighborhood.
I was almost mugged in San Bernardino, the whole city is a bad neighborhood.
I was almost mugged twice in Honolulu, not in a bad neighborhood.
I had my car broken into twice in Honolulu at Ala Moana Beach Park and in Waikiki.
My wife was attacked by a drugged out psycho in a good neighborhood in Honolulu.
Any of it can happen anywhere. If you just stay home it can happen and if you go cruising it can happen too. If you get lucky and handle it right you won't get killed. How do you know what's right with that particular criminal?
I dunno.
Stay out of bad neighborhoods?
Old 05-12-2010, 19:44   #55

I'll repeat myself for the sake of the stupid- this is a thread about a tragic death not a soapbox for spouting your opinions on arsenals. Rant to your wife (though I suspect she has long stopped listening) or start a new thread. Please. The espousing of your vision of the proper preparation for cruising serves this dead man's memory no good and is in poor taste.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
I'll repeat myself for the sake of the stupid- this is a thread about a tragic death not a soapbox for spouting your opinions on arsenals. Rant to your wife (though I suspect she has long stopped listening) or start a new thread. Please. The espousing of your vision of the proper preparation for cruising serves this dead man's memory no good and is in poor taste.
Indeed, and thank you.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:24   #57
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Brob2,

Thanks for stating the obvious, which for some reason some folks don't get. Let me repeat your very appropriate words...

Quote:
...this is a thread about a tragic death not a soapbox for spouting your opinions on arsenals.
If off-topic posts such as the more recent ones continue, one or more of three things will happen: the posts will be deleted without PM to the poster, repeated posting of such will attract an Official Warning or Strike, and/or the thread will be shut down.

Please show some respect and consideration for the vast majority of members who consider voicing your strongly-held opinions about guns, violence, self-defense, etc. in a thread about a tragic incident involving a cruising sailor exceedingly offensive.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:32   #58

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
my wife and i have cruised/traveled c.a. extensively and have learned a few things. 1st---NEVER fight the robbers. they probably outgun you, are drunk or on drugs and could give a s**t if you live or die. why would you risk your life (or that of your fellow cruisers aboard) for a few bucks. don't be a macho rambo because you'll more than likely wind up dead. the few incidents of cruiser deaths by c.a. robbers have all resulted from the deadpeople trying to save their valuables---all to no avail.

personally, we don't carry weapons aboard. what are we gonna do..shoot some hopped up kid who wants to steal a few bucks? i doubt that i could live w/ myself if i were to kill someone unless they were out to kill (not rob) me.

a few years ago, i met an ex-nyc cop who cruised to venezuela. one night he hear a noise on deck, grabbed his pistol and cocked the hammer back on a little kid who had come aboard to steal his shoes. he threw the gun in the water aftyer that and never carried another weapon while cruising.

that was a good lesson for me but i understand the other side of the coin.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:56   #59

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I'm sorry this happened and glad the daughter made it out alive. We hire Police to to enforce the rule of Law so we don't have to spend all of our time watching our own backs. And as pointed out above they may be better armed. Due to drug smuggling and other factors, several South American countries have become lawless. Caution should be observed in these areas until the local governments get things back under control. Loss of tourist dollars will send a message.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
a few years ago, i met an ex-nyc cop who cruised to venezuela. one night he hear a noise on deck, grabbed his pistol and cocked the hammer back on a little kid who had come aboard to steal his shoes. he threw the gun in the water aftyer that and never carried another weapon while cruising.
I believe I may have seen that movie too:

"Well, it got so that every piss-ant prairie punk who thought he could shoot a gun would ride into town to try out the Waco Kid. I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille. It got pretty gritty. I started to hear the word "draw" in my sleep. Then one day, I was just walking down the street when I heard a voice behind me say, "Reach for it, mister!" I spun around... and there I was, face-to-face with a six-year old kid. Well, I just threw my guns down and walked away... little bastard shot me in the ass. So I limped to the nearest saloon, crawled inside a whiskey bottle, and I've been there ever since."

Closed Thread