Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2014, 15:05   #1

Cabo hit with Cat 3 Hurricane

Hope all the cruisers in the area are safe.

Hurricane Odile Slams Cabo San Lucas, Leaves 'Demolished Paradise' - NBC News
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:54   #2

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Cabo hit with Cat 3 Hurricane

Headed straight up into the Sea of Cortes to San Carlos & Bay of L.A.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 16:01   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it WAS a 4 when it left me and my 'hood for cabo....more info in other thread, mexican hurricanes.
i just posted stuff from folks in the area, so it might not be as exciting as the nbc version, which only includes strangers.
i also post weather in my groups and pages in fb....each storm has a complete thread.
seems folks actually follow my weather and eebmike and huracanes mexico and goes and passage and .....my favorite, storm 2k.
and, omygods..i post PICTURES with my words... lol what a concept. see other thread for pix. i have more also.
Mexican Hurricanes - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Hurricane Odile Poses Flood Threat for Desert Southwest (FORECAST)
By Jon Erdman Published: Sep 15, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT weather.com
Share Tweet Reddit Pinterest
Odile Brings US Flood Threat?
Background Infrared Satellite: Odile
Infrared Satellite: Odile
Hurricane Odile tied for the strongest hurricane of record to landfall in the Mexican state of Baja California Sur late Sunday night.

(ODILE: Live Updates | News | Forecast Track)

Are we looking at a flooding repeat in the Desert Southwest, similar to what happened when moisture from Norbert and Dolly combined?

Typical of tropical cyclones tracking near or over the Baja peninsula, a pump of deep tropical moisture on the eastern flank of Odile's circulation will surge into the Desert Southwest, increasing the potential of heavy rainfall and flash flooding much of this work week.

Here is when and where the local flash flood threat looks highest:

- Peak flood threat timing: Wednesday and Thursday, with multiple rounds of heavy rain possible. This corresponds to the time when the remnant mid-level circulation of Odile is expected to track into the Desert Southwest, enhancing lift in the atmosphere for heavy rain and thunderstorms.

- Local flash flooding also possible: Anytime from Monday evening through Friday or Saturday.

Background Rainfall Forecast
Rainfall Forecast
INTERACTIVE RADAR
- Peak flood threat areas: Central, southeast Arizona, southern New Mexico, extreme West Texas (near and just east of El Paso).

- Flash flooding also possible: Lower Colorado River Valley of southeast California, extreme southern Nevada, western Arizona, southern Utah, southwest Colorado, northern New Mexico.

(FORECAST: Phoenix | Tucson | El Paso)

What still remains uncertain is exactly where clusters of heavy rain will break out. Earlier this month, a single cluster of thunderstorms with torrential rain parked over the Phoenix metro area.

While our rainfall forecast above at right lays out a general area of heaviest rain, keep in mind heavier rain may fall in localized areas in the most persistent thunderstorm clusters.

This heavy rainfall will trigger rapid runoff in normally dry washes and arroyos, flooding typical low-water crossings.

Some Phoenix metro area homeowners were already filling sandbags Monday in anticipation of the heavy rain later in the week.

Never try to cross a flooded roadway, it may be a fatal mistake!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 17:46   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks, Zee.. Hope all is well with you and the little critter... Are you still in Barre Navidad? Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 20:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Thanks, Zee.. Hope all is well with you and the little critter... Are you still in Barre Navidad? Phil
we good, thankyou captain phil!!! good to see ye.
seems we now expecting another possibly major furycame to slide up coast and slam baja... or some such.....what a season.. and we have truly only just begin the bad part of our season.
this continues until novembers end.
Old 15-09-2014, 20:19   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Well, keep your powder dry down there, Zee... Hurricane season can last well into the new year! Remember 1983 when that weird storm came up from Baja all the way to Pt Conception? Got caught on a delivery on that one and nearly lost the boat! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 21:24   #7

We watchin close..
Is wicked weather year. That was el nino also, wasnt it?
Old 16-09-2014, 07:16   #8

Polo gonna add insult to injury, looks like, with same flight plan as odile....
stay alert, folks. i know ye dont have electricity, but some of ye make your own and have own signals.
sonrisanet.org is down for a temporary bit due to being slammed by furycame--
stay dry and pay attention...
polo is coming. same path predicted as odile. already a ts and is early in game. this is not a good thing. can bring bad news to mexico... be aware and prepare well.
Old 16-09-2014, 16:08   #9

"The dry storage boat yard adjacent to Marina Palmira has a number of toppled, damaged, crushed, dismasted boats. All the other marinas had spotty but manageable damage (cleats ripped off docks, etc.) I know of NO boats in marinas that sustained any appreciable damage, short of one boat in Marina de La Paz with a wooden mast that broke during the storm. 17% of La Paz has electrical power. There is no estimate for when power will be restored to the remainder of we who don't have power. Two Baja ferries unloaded an massive number of military and (mostly CFE (the equivalent of PG&E) trucks, all of which is it rumored headed to Cabo. Cabo is in really bad shape. The word down here is that Cabo airport will not reopen until the 21st. La Paz airport won't reopen for a few days, but info is non-specific.
Several of the beached boats have been refloated this afternoon. A number of others are scattered hither and yon and will be refloated as manpower, tow power and tides permit. I know a little more than I'm reporting here but suffice it to say that missing folks have been found-details later. Apparently President Peno Nieto came through here on a helo tour of the area...a military flight is airlifting a number of stranded civilians out of La Paz to Mexico City today. Don't know who they are. Your relay help up there is most appreciated. There would be little more you could do here as the cruising fleet and ex-boater community has gone to full battle dress to help out. I'm downloading NHC data from the SSB re the next storm (Polo) which is brewing and stewing off the Tehuantepec and is slated to move up the Mexican mainland coast and head toward the peninsula. My last look this morning shows a track that will veer out over the Pacific before reaching the peninsula. Lets hope that's true. All for now."
per friend in mazatlan, on facebook...
Old 16-09-2014, 16:39   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Well, keep your powder dry down there, Zee... Hurricane season can last well into the new year! Remember 1983 when that weird storm came up from Baja all the way to Pt Conception? Got caught on a delivery on that one and nearly lost the boat! Cheers, Phil
That my friend was a NUTZ weird and big system... BUT the FISHING WAS AWESOME THAT YEAR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
We watchin close..
Is wicked weather year. That was el nino also, wasnt it?
Zee,,, That's when el nino was popularized into every layman's vocabulary in So. Cal...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 18:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
That my friend was a NUTZ weird and big system... BUT the FISHING WAS AWESOME THAT YEAR!!!

Zee,,, That's when el nino was popularized into every layman's vocabulary in So. Cal...
i knew of this off chile current longer than it has been a trendy point of contention among pseudointellectuals.
Old 17-09-2014, 09:31   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i knew of this off chile current longer than it has been a trendy point of contention among pseudointellectuals.
Indeed.... I know you did... SO did the sportfish crowd and boats.... AND... I'll bet that less than 1% would know/say it's "Northing" origin is Chile

Absolute crack up when the CA evening news weatherman refers to it daily to explain everything normal to abnormal...

"These Santa Ana's are a byproduct of our strong El Nino conditions"

I do NOT miss the CA stupidity for sure...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 10:11   #13
Marine Service Provider

Any reports of conditions in San Carlos?
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 10:18   #14

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Charlies Charts,on Facebook is providing the most up to date information on the situation.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 09:53   #15

YachtAid Global Providing Hurricane Odile Assistance

SEPTEMBER 16, 2014 BY DIANE M. BYRNE
Hurricane-Odile-NASA YachtAid Global relief effortWhat Hurricane Odile destroyed in Mexico, YachtAid Global’ s striving to help replace. The non-profit aid organization already has one megayacht en route to the region to produce potable water. YachtAid Global is seeking more yachts, plus donations of much-needed supplies.

Hurricane Odile made a direct hit on Cabo San Lucas, Mexico on September 14. A Category 3 storm, it packed 125-mph winds and dropped six inches of rain. Its strength was unprecedented for modern times in the southern Baja Peninsula region.

Since YachtAid Global arranges humanitarian aid for coastal communities worldwide, its team monitored Hurricane Odile via news reports. On September 15, Mark Drewelow, the founder of YachtAid Global, posted the following on the organization’s Facebook page:

News from Cabo San Lucas. At 1730 today Cabo time I spoke with local Superyacht Agent Victor Barreda that many of you know. Victor weathered Odile at home and he and his wife and kids are ok. Town has no electricity and he says it looks like every building is damaged. If electricity doesn’t come back on then fresh water becomes a major issue quickly. We will post info as it comes into us. We have one 75 meter superyacht that will be deeply involved in an immediate relief effort focusing on producing 4000 gallons a day of fresh water for locals.

The same day, Drewelow spoke with the marina manager at Marina Cabo San Lucas. The marina is popular with megayachts and sportfishermen alike. The staff there also emerged unscathed from Hurricane Odile. However, as of this writing, there is still no electricity and no mobile-phone service in Cabo San Lucas. Building damage in the region is extensive; the airport, for example, is expected to remain closed through October. “The situation in the Cabo area is getting worse by the hour,” Drewelow tells us.

While thankfully YachtAid Global has “a lot in the works” for Hurricane Odile relief, Drewelow says, “every yacht big or small that intends to head south to Cabo needs to bring aid. Recovery will take months.” YachtAid Global is coordinating some efforts with Marine Group Boat Works, which has a facility in Cabo San Lucas, too. Marine Group Boat Works’ San Diego yard is collecting items that are of critical immediate need:

drinking water: “water is running out,” Drewelow says. “If power comes on or people get fuel for generators, water can start flowing again in extremely limited quantities.”
basic first-aid items like bandages, antiseptics and ointments, and hand sanitizers
food with long shelf life: beans, tuna, canned meat, boxed milk and other beverages
shelter: pop-up tents, rolls of heavy-duty plastic sheeting, canvas tarps, and small-diameter (¼- to ½-inch) ropes to secure the tarps.
If you’d like to donate any of these items, you can mail them to:

Attn: Cabo Relief/Leah Yam
Marine Group Boat Works
997 G Street
Chula Vista, CA 91910-3414

If you have questions, contact Leah Yam at Marine Group Boat Works at (619) 427-6767. You can also donate funds via YachtAid Global’s donation page.

Read more: YachtAid Global Providing Hurricane Odile Assistance - Megayacht News YachtAid Global Providing Hurricane Odile Assistance - Megayacht News

Tags
hurricane