Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 12:23   #1

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Brisbane to Polynesia?

I would dearly love to sail to the Polynesian islands one day.Now from the limited research that i have done it seems this is possible if you sail down to N.Z first and then up to Fiji etc.

This option I believe avoids to much sailing to windward etc, but for me this seems like a bit of a dogs leg not to mention the lumpy seas off N.Z.

Another option I think is to head for Noumea during the southern winter.

My question is can one sail to Polynesia from the East coast of Oz against the trade winds without being bashed to pieces?

all the best paul.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 19:08   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Brisbane to Polynesia?

G'Day Paul,

Exactly what do you mean by the Polynesian Islands? The two groups that you mention (New Cal and Fiji) are Melanesian Islands, not Polynesian.

And the trip from the Brisbane area to New Cal isn't so bad if you are patient. We usually depart from Southport (Customs will come there to clear you out) in mid winter, having waited for a low to appear in the Tasman. This will usually give one two or three days of westerly flow. If one then represses the urge to sail the rhumb line and instead makes as much easting as possible, then when the winds revert to the normal SE direction, one can have a decent close reach into Passe Boularie.

From New Cal it is an easy hop on to Vanuatu, and then as cyclone season nears (for us this means late November or early December) it is usually a nice sleigh ride from Santo back to Queensland..

Hope that this helps clarify your thinking...

Jim
Old 20-03-2013, 22:35   #3

Yes of course Jim you are right it is a matter of pigment.As far as the Fiji,Caledonia being Melanesian and not Polynesian.

Jim just from your reply I realize how much I have to learn. The gem about a low further south is experience talking.

Thank you for your considered reply mate, it seem i may have a few more questions in the not too distant future.
Old 21-03-2013, 00:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a better option for you might be using the monsoonal trough that forms over northen australia in dec- jan-feb. and streches from the philipines to fiji from the equator to about 10south,bringing nw winds in the south and ne winds north of the equator.

leaving vanuatu in nov-dec head north to micronesia,kosirae,ponephei,yap philipines .

returning along the northen coast of png in jan -feb-march where you should have favorable winds as far as fiji.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 11:13   #5

Thank you for the reply mate, I wonder about Png/North Aus coast during the cyclone season though ?

Or is it a case now with better weather forecasts the risk of encountering one of these monsters can be reduced with sufficient routing and study in these waters?
How do you do it ?

all the best paul.
Old 21-03-2013, 12:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Thank you for the reply mate, I wonder about Png/North Aus coast during the cyclone season though ?

Or is it a case now with better weather forecasts the risk of encountering one of these monsters can be reduced with sufficient routing and study in these waters?
How do you do it ?

all the best paul.
the route i reccomended is for the pacific ,NORTH of papua new guinea on the return leg using the north west winds that occur dec jan feb march
,since it is between the equator and 10 south you will not get cyclones forming untill further south,and those that do ,you will be to the north of and out of the dangerous quadrant.

in dec heading north from vanuatu or the solomons/louisiades there is a slight risk of typhoons forming,but again you will most likely be to the south of them.

the coral sea and area between north aus and png during that period are best avoided during those months
,april to nov is considered the safe time to cross the arafura sea and gulf of carpentaria
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 17:56   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

OTH,

Back in 1990, we met a Brisbane-based yacht at Moorea. The name of the vessel is "New Morning," and is located in MBTBC marina in Manly, Qld. It is under different ownership now, but the new owners might be able to put you in contact with the family who sailed to French Polynesia from Brisbane. Perhaps that might help.

Ann Cate
Old 21-03-2013, 18:15   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post

How do you do it ?

all the best paul.
I agree with Atoll Re PNG… we found that cruising during Australian Cyclone season around the conflict group and Milne Bay was quite safe. The high mountains of PNG seemed to funnel TRS lower towards Carpenteria
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane