Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 14:16   #136

Re: Belgian customs at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
The law is that you are not allowed to red diesel for propulsion. It's that simple.
No, you are not allowed untaxed diesel, no matter the color.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:13   #137

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
No, you are not allowed untaxed diesel, no matter the color.

Semantics.

Red diesel is untaxed. If someone is selling you red diesel and making you pay taxes on it then you are being defrauded by that person.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:25   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Semantics.

Red diesel is untaxed. If someone is selling you red diesel and making you pay taxes on it then you are being defrauded by that person.
The UK Government makes me pay tax on the 60% I use for propulsion at a higher rate to the tax on the 40% used for heating. Think but can't be certain that the heating element tax is 5%.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:35   #139

Quote:
Semantics.

Red Diesel is only untaxed if you don't pay the tax on it. If you pay the tax in full, and have the receipts to prove it, it's no longer untaxed diesel, regardless of the color.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:33   #140

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

I'm Belgian and when I was in Dover last year I got my diesel in jerry-cans from the gas station across the street just because of this reason. I deal with Belgian customs people professionally on a regular basis and that's why I didn't want to take a risk. It takes forever to get rid of the red dye.
Old 03-08-2017, 14:54   #141

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Looks like they might have backed down...

Belgium - Page 2
"We just got the confirmation of our Belgium government that, from now on, there will be no control anymore towards red Diesel for sailors. In September, there will be a European conference, where the European ministers will take a common position on this matter."
Read more at Belgium - Page 2

It makes sense a common position regarding EU but that common position may well be not tolerating red diesel (lower taxed diesel) on pleasure boats in any EU country, as the law states.
Old 03-08-2017, 21:52   #142

Boat: Outremer 40/43

Quote:
Semantics.

I last filled up at Hammond Port Services in Dover. They supply pilot boats and a number of other port activities. I paid vat on the fuel I bought and obtained a receipt.
Old 03-08-2017, 23:16   #143

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Red Diesel is only untaxed if you don't pay the tax on it. If you pay the tax in full, and have the receipts to prove it, it's no longer untaxed diesel, regardless of the color.

The law says that you cannot have marked diesel in a tank that is connected to a propulsion engine. Whether you can show invoices is immaterial.
Old 03-08-2017, 23:18   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The UK Government makes me pay tax on the 60% I use for propulsion at a higher rate to the tax on the 40% used for heating. Think but can't be certain that the heating element tax is 5%.

All other governments make you pay tax on the whole tank. If you want to use untaxed diesel for heating you must put it in a separate tank.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:02   #145

Quote:
The law says that you cannot have marked diesel in a tank that is connected to a propulsion engine. Whether you can show invoices is immaterial.
Apparently "Swiss Customs" would be at it again, too.

What do you think the purpose of the law is? What is it trying to accomplish? Is it trying to prevent people from using untaxed diesel? Or "marked" diesel?

If I was able to buy "unmarked" diesel, without paying any taxes on it, would that be ok?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:04   #146

Quote:
Do you have an actual quote which says so? There is number of ways how red dye can end up in your tank: the boat sailed from USA, someone put red dye in your tank as a prank...or you are British and no other fuel is available. Bottom line: yes one has to pay taxes, but the dye is not the only way to prove it
Old 04-08-2017, 06:51   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is false . . . . http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...ns30Sept08.pdf
Old 04-08-2017, 06:59   #148

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Hypothetical....what happens to a US flagged boat with a tank full of red fuel when the check in?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:23   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It makes sense a common position regarding EU but that common position may well be not tolerating red diesel (lower taxed diesel) on pleasure boats in any EU country, as the law states.
One more time -- red diesel is not necessarily untaxed nor even "lower taxed".

The UK has the highest taxes on diesel fuel of any EU country.

My red diesel bought at Cowes Fuel Barge has more taxes in it than any white diesel you can buy in Belgium or in any other EU country.

You continue to miss the point -- that the persecution in Belgium had nothing to do with taxes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 04-08-2017, 07:24   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Hypothetical....what happens to a US flagged boat with a tank full of red fuel when the check in?
One large U.S. motor yacht got a gargantuan fine in Germany some years ago -- tens of thousands of euros. There were protests (as you can imagine), and think the Germans backed down in the end, but it was ugly.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Closed Thread

Tags
customs