Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 13:32   #91

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Belgian customs at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
There is a lot more good than just free trade, in the idea of European integration, in my opinion.

The problem is that harmonization of regulation (also a good thing in my view) got turned into uncontrolled expansion of regulation by politically unaccountable forces. That's where reform efforts should be concentrated.
Yes I can agree with some of that but it is good not to forget that the center of EC, that some call bureaucrats, is an European parliament with proportional representation from all the member states. They are not aunaccountable and they represent the European citizens that voted on them on each country.

They are the ones that create the directives and approve the that should be mandatorily turned to law in all EC countries. It is a democratic process pointed to the common good even if I agree that in some cases interests of powerful countries tend to distort a bit that common good. But is a process in the making and hopefully it will turn better, not worst.
Old 24-07-2017, 13:36   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
What color diesel do you burn while driving to work?
Diesel with the color of diesel, not coloured, as any EC citizen.
Old 24-07-2017, 13:51   #93

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
If this is a real practical problem for any boater, several manufacturers make nice inflatable fuel bladders. I'm planning to get two or three for my motor yacht. They are for extending range in my case, but could also double as a way to keep different types of fuel apart.

Attachment 152048
Make sure you carry spare fuel filters as well. The customs officials know about spare tanks...
Old 24-07-2017, 13:53   #94

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

The problem is that harmonization of regulation (also a good thing in my view) got turned into uncontrolled expansion of regulation by politically unaccountable forces. That's where reform efforts should be concentrated.
Spot on. I was in the Army for a while and all branches of the government bureaucracy, by their very nature, are a growth industry, much like a cancer. They grow when their little empires grow in terms of budget and staff. No one ever asks what they accomplished. Instead, they can point to what they have produced in terms of regulations. I and most here are not advocating for zero regulations, merely the elimination of onerous and excessive regulations.

Alas, until that time comes, we can only fight one battle at a time and avoid those places where we can't win.
Old 24-07-2017, 14:49   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes I can agree with some of that but it is good not to forget that the center of EC, that some call bureaucrats, is an European parliament with proportional representation from all the member states. They are not aunaccountable and they represent the European citizens that voted on them on each country.

They are the ones that create the directives and approve the that should be mandatorily turned to law in all EC countries. It is a democratic process pointed to the common good even if I agree that in some cases interests of powerful countries tend to distort a bit that common good. But is a process in the making and hopefully it will turn better, not worst.
How many EU laws did the EU parliamentarians that you voted for support or vote against since the last election?

When I was living in Sweden i didn't have a clue. In the Swedish parliament I was aware of whats happening because votes were along party lines but in the EU????

They are not accountable because no one knows what they are doing. I would never have heard that the person I voted for was passionate about the shape of bananas.

There is one word that to me sums up the farce that is the EU

Strasbourg
Old 24-07-2017, 15:38   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think Hoppy has a point though and it would be sad if they weren't responsible for the well being of 3/4 billion people.

So how does the EU work? here is a diagram which is as clear as mud What does the unelected members of the council do and the Commission if we voted in the Parliament to make laws and govern?

Still hopefully in a couple of years it won't matter for 60 million people living on a little island off the NW corner of the empire.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EU.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	152570  
Old 24-07-2017, 17:36   #97

I just found out that there are 751 EU parliamentarians. OMG that is just crazy, thats an average of nearly 27 per country. Germany has 95 members and the smallest countries 6.

It would save the EU a massive amount of money to drop this down to 1 for small countries up to 16 for Germany and 125 in total.

Parliamentary business would be more streamlined and more effective and it would make them much more accountable to the public in their home countries.
Old 24-07-2017, 22:47   #98

Boat: Outremer 40/43

Quote:

If that were to be the case, it would be working after half a century. Sadly, it is not working. The reasons are many and complex, but until someone shakes the institution out of its present mindset, nothing will change. It may be that loosing the UK will be the catalist.

I used to support the Union until I saw at closer hand how it operates.
Old 25-07-2017, 00:00   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

As a European resident residing in Spain, I am disappointed at the exit for (selfish?) reasons of unity.

There comes a time though when self interest as a nation precludes further involvement with an institution that itself requires a complete overhaul and is out of control.

It also show clearly the folly of asking the General populace of a country what they want and feeling confident that you know the answer..

In saying that, I do not believe a government would be that stupid without a reason. Time will tell. Im always suspicious when a government does something like this.

I like Europe. I like the individuality of each nation and I like being with the peoples. the EU is destroying this by parity and equality. What used to amaze me when I lived in the States was traveling 2000 miles and getting out the car to see the same chain restaurants, the same type of city layout, the same sameness of everything with minor variations. I sincerely hope Europe does not follow their unified example.

Belgium is breaking the law. Who is going to stop them? Because its Britain, the revenge factor is open to see.

It will all end in tears.
Old 25-07-2017, 03:11   #100
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
As a European resident residing in Spain, I am disappointed at the exit for (selfish?) reasons of unity.

There comes a time though when self interest as a nation precludes further involvement with an institution that itself requires a complete overhaul and is out of control.

It also show clearly the folly of asking the General populace of a country what they want and feeling confident that you know the answer..

In saying that, I do not believe a government would be that stupid without a reason. Time will tell. Im always suspicious when a government does something like this.

I like Europe. I like the individuality of each nation and I like being with the peoples. the EU is destroying this by parity and equality. What used to amaze me when I lived in the States was traveling 2000 miles and getting out the car to see the same chain restaurants, the same type of city layout, the same sameness of everything with minor variations. I sincerely hope Europe does not follow their unified example.

Belgium is breaking the law. Who is going to stop them? Because its Britain, the revenge factor is open to see.

It will all end in tears.
Is it a good reason to let to be said that European Union is "a farce" ? Moreover since you are a moderator...
Old 25-07-2017, 03:13   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Is it a good reason to let to be said that European Union is "a farce" ? Moreover since you are a moderator...
Note to self: wear the glasses. I thought you wrote the EU is a fart..
Old 25-07-2017, 04:12   #102
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Note to self: wear the glasses. I thought you wrote the EU is a fart..
Ok.
I take note of your comments...
Old 25-07-2017, 05:13   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
How many EU laws did the EU parliamentarians that you voted for support or vote against since the last election?

When I was living in Sweden i didn't have a clue. In the Swedish parliament I was aware of whats happening because votes were along party lines but in the EU????

They are not accountable because no one knows what they are doing. I would never have heard that the person I voted for was passionate about the shape of bananas.

There is one word that to me sums up the farce that is the EU

Strasbourg
In the EU it is the same, there are parties. Each country elects deputies according the votes on the national parties for the EU election. Each party has a program in what regards EU policy, except the ones that want to go out of EU. Here they are Communist party, extreme left parties as well as extreme right parties. That is about the same allover Europe regarding the ones that want out, except the Brits, of course.

On the European parliament the deputies are organized in parties that have nothing to do with each nation but with the programs of the parties that elected the deputies. They act also according with political views (partidary) and not according with national interests. Many times deputies from the same nation are proposing and defending different things.

Old 25-07-2017, 05:26   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I just found out that there are 751 EU parliamentarians. OMG that is just crazy, thats an average of nearly 27 per country. Germany has 95 members and the smallest countries 6.

It would save the EU a massive amount of money to drop this down to 1 for small countries up to 16 for Germany and 125 in total.

Parliamentary business would be more streamlined and more effective and it would make them much more accountable to the public in their home countries.
I don't understand your surprise: American congress has 535 for a population of 321 millions while EU has a population of 510 millions.
Old 25-07-2017, 08:53   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
I don't understand your surprise: American congress has 535 for a population of 321 millions while EU has a population of 510 millions.
I suspect this proves the point why both are dysfunctional
Closed Thread

Tags
customs