Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 05:03   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Around the World Nonstop in a 10-Foot Boat

Sailor Hopes to Cruise Globe in 10-Foot Boat - WSJ.com

Sven Yrvind is willing to pay a big price for some alone time.
The Swedish sailor wants to cruise nonstop around the world by himself in a sailboat slightly larger than a bathtub.
Armed with a stack of books and 880 pounds of mainly sardines and granola, the 73-year-old seasoned boat builder plans to wedge inside what he affectionately calls a "survival capsule," and spend up to a year-and-a-half reading, writing, thinking and soaking up the wonders of nature. Mr. Yrvind is knee deep in the building of his boat.

Sven Yrvind shows off his 10-foot boat under construction in his shop.

If successful, he will win the honor of using the smallest—and probably slowest—boat ever to circle the world without docking. "I'll be completely safe. It's like a ping-pong ball in the sea, it never breaks," Mr. Yrvind said while showing the boat in his workshop. "A small boat constructed the right way is always stronger than a big boat."
Skeptics wonder if Mr. Yrvind will go crazy living on a small piece of real estate and question whether a boat this size would be able to hack it should it bump into a whale or iceberg.
But Mr. Yrvind's closest friends say the move is entirely expected from a man with 50 years of sailing experience.
"I would have been more worried if he retired into his apartment to watch TV," said Thomas Grahn, a 25-year-old sailor who traveled with Mr. Yrvind to Florida in 2007. "Of course there are risks, but one of the challenges is to minimize the risks by making a foolproof construction, and he's the most competent small-boat builder that I know."
Mr. Yrvind, who sports a long white beard, keeps a meticulous training and dietary schedule. Almost every day, residents of the Swedish town Vastervik can see him either bike, climb a local hilltop, paddle his kayak or go for a six-mile run. He does six chin-ups a day and keeps his calories in check by eating two daily meals and snacking on fruit. At sea, his diet will consist mainly of granola, sardines and rainwater—with the rare mackerel treat.

Sven Yrvind

Raised in a sailing family, he became known for building kayak-length boats for solo sailing. In 1980, he was awarded the Seamanship Medal by the U.K.-based Royal Cruising Club for single-handedly navigating a 20-foot vessel around the stormy waters of Cape Horn, at the southern tip of Chile. Seven years later, he was elected into the New England-based Museum of Yachting's Hall of Fame for single-handed sailors.
He invented the Bris sextant, a thumbnail-size angle-measuring instrument used by ocean travelers and backpackers for navigation. His latest 45-day trip, in fall 2011, took him across the Atlantic in a 16-foot self-made boat, the viability of which was also questioned before the successful journey.
This time, Mr. Yrvind wants to push the limits with a vessel of a mere 10 feet—less than half the size of the boat that in 2010 set the current record for being the smallest to circumnavigate the globe nonstop.
Made out of composite materials, the "Yrvind 10" is designed to weigh 1˝ tons, have a rounded 6-foot bow and stern and feature two sails. The width-to-length ratio, the rounded edges and a heavy center of gravity—with the floor stuffed with books and food packed in watertight containers—should quickly right the boat should it flip, Mr. Yrvind said.
"It will capsize, it will pitchpole, but it will always come back up," Mr. Yrvind said while demonstrating how he plans to strap himself in a seat belt at the bottom of a 31-inch bed to combat thrusts from the waves. "No matter how it twists and turns, I'll be lying here calmly reading."
At deck, a big rope tied around his waist will keep him attached to the boat at all times, even when going for an occasional dip in cold waters.
The journey of some 30,000 nautical miles is slated to commence on Ireland's southern tip, travel past South Africa and sail eastbound south of Australia. This includes a full circumnavigation around the stormy Southern Ocean and past Cape Horn, where nearby the so-called Roaring Forties—the strong winds at 40 degrees latitude—can whip up 32-foot waves and winds that make sailing in an open vessel akin to sticking your head out of a car window at high speeds. The waters around the Cape are particularly challenging with strong currents and the risk of icebergs having led some sailors to their death.
As if that wasn't challenging enough, this Swede wants to complete the roundabout without making any pit stops to rest or stock up on supplies. A few sailor friends have promised to bring fruit at sea, but Mr. Yrvind—who was born Sven Lundin and later changed his last name to Yrvind, which translates to "whirlwind" in English—hardly expects to see a single soul.
"It's what I'm looking for—the solitude and peacefulness," he said.
The project is also a criticism against what Mr. Yrvind, who likes to think of himself as a modern-day Henry David Thoreau, describes as an excessive consumption-driven culture that risks depleting the world's natural resources.
Beyond the solitude, Mr. Yrvind loves the feeling of being in control of a seemingly uncontrollable situation.
"If one man can live in a 3-meter boat for over a year at sea, then surely the world can live on fewer resources than it is today," he said. "Of course, it would be nice to set a world record at 73," he concedes with a wink.
Mr. Yrvind hopes to let fans monitor his whereabouts via a tracker on his website. He also plans to take advantage of modern-day technology another way: by bringing a pedal-power generator that he will squeeze into the boat's microscopic "living room," he will be able to generate power that can charge an e-book reader. That could give him access to 100,000 titles or so, "a dream scenario" for the author of four books on sailing. And he will bring about 220 pounds of conventional books. "I plan to make a journey to the higher spiritual spheres, and there I won't be alone. A hundred kilos of well-chosen nonfiction books written by the world's biggest thinkers will guide me," he said.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Around the World Nonstop in a 10-Foot Boat

amazing the things people do to get a bit of peace and quiet from the wife and kids....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:12   #3

Amazing the things people do to get a bit of fame and attention, more like it.

I guess we will have a new one to point to the next time we get the inevitable question, "what's the smallest boat that I can take offshore?"
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:25   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I guess he isn't crazy, ................ OK maybe he is.

Seems easier ways to just be alone!
Old 25-10-2012, 05:28   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

tough to get much smaller than 10 ft, although I'm sure someone will try.

Wonder what he's going to do when it is blowing a storm and he has to pee over the side?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:34   #6

I am interested in the distribution of ballast and how he will keep himself from being injured or crushed by sardine cans. At least he's thiniing about fruit, otherwise I would think his teeth would rot out. Best wishes to him.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:53   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

I have enjoyed reading the "personal history" section of his blog, he really has made some amazing passages. I also followed his most recent trans-Atlantic passage on the boat he built prior to this new 10 footer. I quit reading though after he posted a story about using the only spoon he had onboard to help solve a persistent constipation problem. Yeah, that's a little too hard core for me.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:00   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Amazing the things people do to get a bit of fame and attention, more like it.

I guess we will have a new one to point to the next time we get the inevitable question, "what's the smallest boat that I can take offshore?"
You are correct about so many people doing things for fame, attention (and money).

Yet you are completely wrong in your assumption about Sven.

Read some on his earlier sailings and on his life philosophy. Google translate is such an amazing tool.

Sven is not after fame nor attention, he is just sailing his way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:03   #9

Boat: contessa 32

Does he need crew? Can I bring my dog and guitar?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 09:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sven is not after fame nor attention, he is just sailing his way.
Sorry, I'm not buyin' it. He's trying to set a world record. He has notified the press, given interviews, and posed for pictures. He has rounded up sponsors, and has a website where he is soliciting donations.

This is a stunt. He's doing it for the fame and the attention. If he was just "sailing his way" then he would have just sailed off, and only his closest friends and family would have known what he was doing.
Old 25-10-2012, 11:02   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Sorry, I'm not buyin' it. He's trying to set a world record. He has notified the press, given interviews, and posed for pictures. He has rounded up sponsors, and has a website where he is soliciting donations.

This is a stunt. He's doing it for the fame and the attention. If he was just "sailing his way" then he would have just sailed off, and only his closest friends and family would have known what he was doing.
Well, if we were to use your definition, then the Pardeys are stunt sailors too. Michael Angelo was sponsored by the Popes and ...

So you got me half-convinced: he IS attracting attention. But whether this ends in fame or infamy, yet are we to see!

Best regards,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:05   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Because you can inflict great pain to yourself for extended periods of time then does that mean that you should?

If the pain is less than the fame then I guess so.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 13:50   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Wow!!!

Moderators- should this go under the "cruising for $500 per month" thread??
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, if we were to use your definition, then the Pardeys are stunt sailors too.
Yeah. Of course. I wouldn't use the term "stunt sailors" for the Pardeys, but they certainly don't publish books and videos because they are AVERSE to fame and attention!

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with this guy, or that he's a bad person, or even that he's not a conscientious, dedicated sailor. He's probably a great guy and no doubt a very good sailor. We could probably all learn a lot from him (just like from the Pardeys). But he is also doing this--at least in part--because he likes the kind of attention that he is getting, and is going to get, from it. That's all I'm saying.
Old 25-10-2012, 16:15   #15

I say good for him. While my desire to do a transatlantic crossing has faded with age I do understand the desire to get out of sight from land for bit. Which is an itch I may still scratch at some point. Still I've always enjoyed reading about the voyages of those who do head out in small boats alone. Whether it's Manry, Slocum, Linderman etc... I was amused by Linderman's voyages who crossed the Atlantic twice in a canoe. The first time he rationed a 15 oz can of evaporated milk everyday. On the second voyage he decided the carbs from a bottle of beer would be a better choice.