Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 04:54   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
... so far this year ive only sailed 6000 miles ...
That’s quite an accomplishment, in roughly 300 days.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:07   #47

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
WOW! Only took a couple of replies to become a gun/alcohol/rape thread. In the big picture I'm much more scared of this type of parniod thinking than a few pirates! Maybe going sailing isn't going to be the escape from "nuts" that I hoped for.
We are more than half-way around and can assure that there are some "nuts" out here cruising. Guns are never a topic of conversation with us, but lots of other topics have illustrated just how "nuts" some of these folks are. Most cruisers are great people. It is easy enough to separate yourself and move to another anchorage when you encounter someone who seems less than mentally stable or too vocal in beliefs that you consider weird or unacceptable.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
Old 04-11-2010, 06:24   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Guns are never a topic of conversation with us,
no one has ever asked me if I have a gun on board. It really never gets asked as far as I am aware. We kinda knew one guy on the convoy had a gun but never knew if it was fact or what it was.
Good friends with them and anchored together for a week after the convoy and never asked them.

On the convoy we were a loooooong way out of their range, unfortuanetly... they were about 1/2 mile in front of us at the minimum. I also noted that those close to them seemed to think the pirate thing was a bit of a myth.

I suppose Infantry feel safer when there is a tank or two traveling with them.

BTW I would quite happily go up the gulf of Aden if I was packing an AK47 or M16 semi auto versions or semi auto shotgun etc (or M203, M60 lol)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 04-11-2010, 06:35   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Day 4 and still no confirmation...... still... gives the Gung Ho a chance to vent....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46   #50

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if you want to stop piracy,address the problem,poverty in africa,caused mainly by unfair western economic policys,which we as wealthy yachties(any one who earns more than $300 a month) have benifited from,so look at piracy as a direct from source shipping/yachtie tax.........

somalia used to have a very good and profitable tuna canning industry,un till the west flooded the region with cheap weapons,employing the very same people who would otherwise be fishing but now have to resort to piracy to support their familys.
Wow! I never realized this whole piracy thing was really our fault. First we ruined their tuna industry, then we flooded them with weapons. Hopefully we won't get arrested by the UN and put on trial in Brussels for crimes against Somalia.

Perhaps we can put a hold on all economic development in the West so this doen't happen again with other countries.

In all seriousness, the fix may take 50, 100, or 200 years and it is education. Education will enable all people to compete and make a living in the world market. It's the "feed a man a fish" thing.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:52   #51

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
It's too bad that this subject polarizes people so much that they feel it necessary to go after others personally for voicing their beliefs. There is plenty of constructive dialogue to be had here, but all too often it gets stamped out by time-honored methods such as the shout down, or disrespectful labeling.

Here's hoping the guys are just out of contact, but four days is a little long to be holding out for good news, unfortunately
Old 04-11-2010, 07:09   #52
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Day 4 and still no confirmation...... still... gives the Gung Ho a chance to vent....
Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!! Vent-vent. Vent-vent.

Maybe it was rigged by the Somali Tourist Office?

Well, I do hope the report is wrong and all are safe.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:21   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!! Vent-vent. Vent-vent.

Maybe it was rigged by the Somali Tourist Office?

Well, I do hope the report is wrong and all are safe.
Ditto likewise.... there are many reasons for an overdue boat... but media tends to grab the most controversial and headline making.
I'm of the opinion if they'd been nabbed I'm sure we'd have heard something by now... unless they put up a fight.. in which case they're probably another 'Mystery of the Sea'...

Even Somali's know 'Bad Press'

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 04-11-2010, 07:43   #54
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Good point boatman - if they resisted and lost their lives in a firefight, there is no one left to ransom and we will probably never hear of them again. Still, here's to hoping that this was all a creation of the press and that there was never a pirate attack.

Brad
Old 04-11-2010, 07:49   #55
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
there are many reasons for an overdue boat...

There is no overdue boat.

The information comes from a group that is contacted by pirates when a ship is captured

Quote:
Andrew Mwangura, coordinator of the East African Seafarers Assistance Programme, told Reuters his organisation had been told that a yacht had been boarded by pirates near the Seychelles.

He said: 'We as yet don't have the name of the yacht nor do we know the gender of the crew, but we are trying to verify this information which we learnt of this evening (Monday).'

But Mr Mwangura said that other reports had suggested that the yacht was hijacked near Lamu Island off Kenya or near Brava in southern Somalia.
So itsa not media jumping to a false premis - an overdue boat- in fact the media has been very shy to report it till confirmed.

However Mr Mwangura mentioned in another article that I can't find that it may take a few days for pirate to get the 3 to a safe enough place to announce their caputure.

Certainly no one seems to have jumped up saying they may know the boat in question. Smething you'd think the cruising community of the area might know...

Old 04-11-2010, 08:34   #56

Boat: Gulfstar, Motorsailor, 53 ft - Morning Star
Just returned from a gathering where the captain of a boat that had been attacked told his story. He like everyone else pointed out that discussing an attack at a backyard barbeque over a beer is far different then seeing four Somalian skiffs depart their mothership and take up positions on your stern. There apparently are convoys of vessels organized by speed that transit the area each day, but they were a part of such a convoy and were still attacked. He stressed drills and preparation as to what each individual would do in case of attack. As soon as the skiffs departed the mother ship they alerted the colition forces and were told that they were launching a helo and it would reach them in seven minutes. His comment was the longest seven minutes ever spent. As two of the skiffs closed for the final attack the helo arrived and gave chase. Apparently as soon as they heard the rotors the skiffs departed as they are only interested in the easy pickings. The captain mentioned that he tried to think out of the box and if there was any reason to suspect even a burglary he would carpet the decks with fly paper studded with carpet tacks. As he said these folks are barefoot and a 1 inch tack in the foot will cause them to rethink the situation.
Heard of a lady whose husband had been shot by pirates off the coast of Venezuela and as the outboard skiff approached she fired the flare gun into the rear of the boat at the portable tank. The result, one empty skiff and three swimming boarders, they apparently were belivers in the fact that flares and gasoline don't mix.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:45   #57

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Joe View Post
The captain mentioned that he tried to think out of the box and if there was any reason to suspect even a burglary he would carpet the decks with fly paper studded with carpet tacks. As he said these folks are barefoot and a 1 inch tack in the foot will cause them to rethink the situation.
I would love to hear how that works out!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:09   #58

Boat: Tayana 37
People in parts of the world, like Somalia, are living in prehistoric mindsets and simply refuse to help themselves. Raising their standard of living simply makes them better at what they do now.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:21   #59

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
People in parts of the world, like Somalia, are living in prehistoric mindsets and simply refuse to help themselves. Raising their standard of living simply makes them better at what they do now.
IMHO our civilized society needs look at the problem in the long term. See the bottom of my post #50 on this thread.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:24   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
Would you care to list a few nations which have reacted in such a manner to having their standard of living raised?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Closed Thread