Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2007, 00:49   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Well...Alrighty then...I think we can just about wrap this thread up!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-12-2007, 01:09   #47
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0 View Post

I went to a gun store today, ....And not once was I pushed, shoved, or even roughly brushed up against. Everyone was saying "Excuse Me", "Yes Sir", "No Sir",

ROTFL

Yep, I thought someone said early on we should aviod politics of guns. So I heartily agree with CelestialSailor.

Mark
Old 27-12-2007, 03:49   #48

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
In sour humour; if enough of us write, and write and follow up writing again;

The locals will be inundated with letters to carry (adding jobs to the mail carriers)
bury them in mail, (cluttering the desk space, it will be neccesary to hire more janitors) create laughter of arrogant american's in their midst, (possibly spurring better attitudes and maybe entertainers) employ laborers to dispose of the mail, and cause a need to hire more police since the ones not doing their jobs policing will be dealing with the stinking mail, and then the economy of the Island should improve??
With better economic conditions the people will either cause more piracy to generate more jobs or become better off with the new economy and no longer need to rob the sailors.
The acts of piracy or violence may be the reason there isn't more facilities on ST Vincent, already.

PSSSt, I carry my own damn machete'
Old 27-12-2007, 04:05   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0 View Post
I'll conclude with this: I went to a gun store today, to browse for any post Christmas specials. The place was JAMMED with all types of people: Police officers, professional folks, farmers, hunters, and even a few folks that looked like bums. And not once was I pushed, shoved, or even roughly brushed up against. Everyone was saying "Excuse Me", "Yes Sir", "No Sir", and simply standing aside, calmly waiting for an opening to observe an item of interest. Compared to the treatment you get in Malls and department stores, it was a shopping oasis of peace. And why is that?

LMAO!! I dunno, you tell us. Maybe they were all scared if they accidentally brushed against someone a gunfight would break out?
Old 27-12-2007, 05:55   #50
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
GTO, I'd defend your right to leave home only while armed to the teeth if that is the only way you are comfortable. If you read my entire post you would see that it was a call for a reasoned and rational approach to the dangers of cruising in the third world, rather than the paranoia that seems to be present in the minds of some of the posters. If you are paranoid about the risks of cruising somewhere, then please don't go there. By definition, people who are paranoid see dangers lurking everywhere, even when they do not really exist. At minimum they tend to over-react to situations that they find dangerous. I did not say that a person who is armed is paranoid; but a person who is armed AND paranoid is both armed and dangerous.

I also made no apologies for the people who attacked this couple. Nor did I say that "you do not understand the culture - it is a machismo thing." Although I must say that your choice of words certainly betrays some paranoia about the Latin-American culture, however irrelevant to SVG.

The decision to cruise with or without guns is a personal choice. So long as people respect the laws of the countries they visit and declare them (which almost invariably results in them being turned over until departure), they are acting within their rights.
As to your belief that arming the population reduces violent crime, let us just say that most other countries view the American experience as evidence to the contrary: the developed country with the largest per capita ownership of firearms (and the largest per capita prison population) has the largest rate of violent crime and murder in the developed world. Those are the facts, but as I say, you are entitled to your own opinions and to make your own decisions concerning arming yourself. Just don't express shock that most other nations do not share your views and will likely confiscate your guns upon entry.

I also suggest that you not forget that you are not the world's police. While you may be prepared to be the judge, jury and executioner of someone who breaks into your boat, understand that in many nations the laws are very different: in many places deadly force can only be used in defence against imminent death. I note that this couple managed to defend themselves against this horrible intrusion and act of violence without resort to guns. I suspect that if they had shot and killed the intruders they would have, whether appropriate or not, found themselves in custody awaiting a trial on the issue of whether it had been necessary in self-defence.

If gun stores are your idea of 'an oasis of peace', then I suspect you will find little to interest you in cruising the caribbean. If you do decide to go, then please understand that just as the democratically elected government of your country has the right to make its own laws, so do the governments of these nations. Simply put, if you need to carry a gun to feel safe, then in most places outside of United States territorial waters you will feel very unsafe indeed!

Brad
Old 27-12-2007, 07:40   #51
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
ahhh .. once again a thread has found it's way to guns, rather than the original topic of a case of piracy.

So - I am forced to lock this thread also.

Those of you who seem to love to take threads to guns and their use - please feel free to read the hundreds of posts already posted about this. Please do not feel the need to start another thread. If you are compelled to create a new thread and to talk about carrying weapons for protection, I'm sure the NRA board or other such place would welcome your input.

Thank you.

Thomas
Cruiser's Forum Moderator
Closed Thread

Tags
piracy, St Vincent and Grenadines