Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2018, 08:15   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Annapolis Sailboat show ?

I talked to Walters a few months ago. They will take you around. Others too.
https://www.davidwaltersyachts.com

Yachtworld advanced search for used boats in Annapolis

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...dedSelected=-1
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 17:41   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Welcome to Annapolis.

My big issue with Thursday is that the crowd is rude and entitled. There are way too many people who think "I paid extra for my ticket to be a VIP so get out of my way." I recommend Friday. If you want to make a second trip make appointments on Friday for Monday. Otherwise, Monday the vendors are tired and thinking about packing up to go home. If you make an appointment, in person, on Friday they'll still be tired but they will take you seriously.

Saturday and Sunday are jammed with tire kickers and baby stroller pushers looking for a day out. The best thing that can happen is a nice sustained drizzle. The vendors know that if you show up in the rain you are serious. They have more time as well.

I miss the days when Thursday was industry day.
Just to be clear for those who may be taking your words literally, there aren't actually baby strollers on the docks. They're "strongly discouraged" and I've never seen one. There are a lot more families out on the weekend, so if you want to avoid them then Friday is certainly better.
14murs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 06:51   #48

Boat: None

If all goes well, my wife and I will be moving aboard our new (to us) boat in Annapolis a couple of days before the show starts. We expect to spend a lot of money at the boat show, and we would enjoy spending a few more dollars on beers with forum members if someone organizes a shindig.

Our plan is to use the boat show to outfit the boat (it doesn't need much, but wants luxuries), and then sail south to Hampton, VA and join up with the Salty Dawg Rally to the Caribbean in early November.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:53   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
If all goes well, my wife and I will be moving aboard our new (to us) boat in Annapolis a couple of days before the show starts. We expect to spend a lot of money at the boat show, and we would enjoy spending a few more dollars on beers with forum members if someone organizes a shindig.

Our plan is to use the boat show to outfit the boat (it doesn't need much, but wants luxuries), and then sail south to Hampton, VA and join up with the Salty Dawg Rally to the Caribbean in early November.
Happy to join the group. We will be involved with the Salty Dawgs at their booth and events. Stop by and check us out. Mark & Lynn, ROXY, Camper and Nicholson 58 ketch.

October 4
The Annual Salty Dawg Reunion Rendezvous is held at the Mears Marina, beginning at 1730 hours. It is open to all sailors. The pulled pork barbeque dinner provides the backdrop for a great party.

Join us when you come to town for the United States Sailboat Show in Annapolis. The Annapolis Rendezvous is open to all those interested in water sailing">blue water sailing and is a reunion of Salty Dawgs —-past, present, and future—- all eager to catch up with “old” sailing friends and make new ones.

Guest speaker Charles Springett will regale the audience with sea stories of the three-year Atlantic Odyssey he and his wife Sue have completed this year
https://www.saltydawgsailing.org/seminars/
Old 27-09-2018, 13:45   #50

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Broker's cove has been 86'ed. .

I'm surprised to hear that. We built docks over there last year and there were brokerage sailboats on it...

Not working it this year, but I see brokerage cover will be open for the power boat show. Would have thought it'd be there for both shows again...

-Chris
Old 27-09-2018, 13:53   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. We built docks over there last year and there were brokerage sailboats on it...

Not working it this year, but I see brokerage cover will be open for the power boat show. Would have thought it'd be there for both shows again...

-Chris
I spoke to one of the brokers, Walters, who said there would be no cove but some alternate. Rest assured, they will not ignore this big an opportunity to market used boats.
Old 27-09-2018, 14:36   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

I’m here on a mooring and all I can say is that so far they aren’t building temp docks
Old 27-09-2018, 15:36   #53

Quote:

-Chris
Makes sense given that the company that puts on the boat show makes big bucks every year and it's all coming from new boat and equipment manufacturers. They know who butters their bread, and it's not used boat brokers, although they can often be pretty greasy!
Old 28-09-2018, 05:22   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I’m here on a mooring and all I can say is that so far they aren’t building temp docks
In early September the crews launch individual dock floats and build "barges" of dock segments at Port Annapolis Marina on Back Creek, then tow those across the river to Carr's Creek, over behind the Naval Support Facility. The individual dock floats are 10'x20' (IIRC) and a "barge" might consist of two rows of 10 of those things all pinned together.

The crews then spend the rest of the time up 'til the show building large dock segment -- put together in shapes according to the dockage plan -- that are in turn towed back across the river starting the Monday (IIRC) before the show opens. Some of the build in Ego Alley happens, then boats start arriving, some more dock segments are connected, more boats arrive, etc.

-Chris
Old 28-09-2018, 05:26   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14murs14 View Post
Makes sense given that the company that puts on the boat show makes big bucks every year and it's all coming from new boat and equipment manufacturers. They know who butters their bread, and it's not used boat brokers, although they can often be pretty greasy!

It's all money for the show. The brokers pay quite a bit to exhibit... same as the "new stuff" dealers. IOW, it's NOT "all coming from new boat and equipment manufacturers."

-Chris
Old 28-09-2018, 05:45   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's all money for the show. The brokers pay quite a bit to exhibit... same as the "new stuff" dealers. IOW, it's NOT "all coming from new boat and equipment manufacturers."

-Chris
Not all from vendors etc. Remember, attendance is not free. There is an impressive cash flow at the gate.
Old 28-09-2018, 06:46   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

The Annapolis Harbormaster has come out and said that they will be actively asking boats that anchor there to leave this year.

Chris

Quote:
The Naval Academy anchorage (not to be confused with the Naval anchorage) requires approval of the Superintendent of the Naval Academy. If you call VADM Carter's office you will find that no one know how to give approval. That means you aren't supposed to be there. The City of Annapolis will not provide pump-out services in the Academy anchorage. You never know when the nice men in little black boats with big black guns will come visit you either.

Check your charts.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 06:51   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Dave, I never got that feeling about the Thursday people while working the show, you must have gotten some doosies! (Dave and I worked the same job at different times) Maybe it is different with the people visiting the boats.

Stop by the Balmar booth, we will have our new SG200 Battery Monitor to show, and sell. I think you will like it.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-208060.html

Chris

Quote:
Welcome to Annapolis.

My big issue with Thursday is that the crowd is rude and entitled. There are way too many people who think "I paid extra for my ticket to be a VIP so get out of my way." I recommend Friday. If you want to make a second trip make appointments on Friday for Monday. Otherwise, Monday the vendors are tired and thinking about packing up to go home. If you make an appointment, in person, on Friday they'll still be tired but they will take you seriously.

Saturday and Sunday are jammed with tire kickers and baby stroller pushers looking for a day out. The best thing that can happen is a nice sustained drizzle. The vendors know that if you show up in the rain you are serious. They have more time as well.

I miss the days when Thursday was industry day.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 07:04   #59

Quote:

-Chris
If you buy a used boat you're not buying a used boat. New boat vendors provide probably 80-90% of the revenue for the Annapolis Boat Shows corporation. Brokers of used boats probably <1%. So if they'd prefer the brokerage sideshow wasn't there and communicated that with the Annapolis Boat Shows corporation it's a rational business decision to not to.
Old 28-09-2018, 13:33   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Not all from vendors etc. Remember, attendance is not free. There is an impressive cash flow at the gate.
Yep, agreed, that too...

-Chris

Tags
annapolis, boat, boat show, sail, sailboat