Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 12:19   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Abandoned catamaran "Be Good Too" found 3 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm not convinced upside down and rudderless is necessarily and "amazing feat". :>) The Westsail 32 in the Perfect Storm sailed itself ashore in the Carolinas later, with a rudder and upright.

Whether upside down or right side up, 3 years in the Atlantic unmanned and still floating. I believe the Westsail was found several days after being abandoned.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 12:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Whether upside down or right side up, 3 years in the Atlantic unmanned and still floating. I believe the Westsail was found several days after being abandoned.
No it was much longer than that and if in open water it would be still out there. I remember a Maple Leaf 42 that was traveling off the Washington coast and it got rough, which is quite normal in this area and they requested to be taken off the boat. They were rescued by a helicopter. A couple of years later the boat arrived just off of Hawaii and was salvaged by a local fishing boat. Looking at the pictures it still had their bikes strapped on the decks, sails were completely trashed but the rest of the boat was reported to be in good condition. It's not uncommon for this to happen and certainly doesn't qualify for a miracle status.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 12:53   #18

Quote:
Yes, I stand corrected. Satori was only out there a few days apparently. With the abandon ship bag accidentally left on deck still there! Not sure which one I was thinking of, They often survive on their own. Like this one: https://vineyardgazette.com/news/201...e-norton-point

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:15   #19

Quote:
Took me some time but I finally found out how long she was at sea before being found..6 months. She had floated up to a sand beach and was towed off by the owner and the hull was in perfect condition.
Old 18-01-2017, 13:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The Gulf Stream and other ocean currents can make flotsam travel a LONG LONG way.

It is always interesting to see what distances objects can travel due to currents, wind, and wave.

Thanks for posting the update on that boat.
Remember this from Wikiepedia

Friendly Floateesare plastic bath toys marketed by The First Years, Inc. and made famous by the work of Curtis Ebbesmeyer, an oceanographer who models ocean currents on the basis of flotsam movements including those of a consignment of Friendly Floatees, containing 29,000 plastic yellow ducks, red beavers, blue turtles and green frogs, washed overboard into the Pacific Ocean in 1992. Some of the toys landed along Pacific Ocean shores, like Hawaii. Others traveled over 17,000 miles, floating over the site where the Titanic sank, and spent years frozen in Arctic ice to reach the Eastern Seaboard, British and Irish shores 15 years later in 2007.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes, I stand corrected. Satori was only out there a few days apparently. With the abandon ship bag accidentally left on deck still there! Not sure which one I was thinking of, They often survive on their own. Like this one: https://vineyardgazette.com/news/201...e-norton-point
If your speaking about the Westsail 32 in the Queens Birthday storm, her name was Sofia and she floated up on a beach 6 months after her owners were rescued.
Old 18-01-2017, 13:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If your speaking about the Westsail 32 in the Queens Birthday storm, her name was Sofia and she floated up on a beach 6 months after her owners were rescued.
The S/V Satori was a Westsail 32 involved in "The Perfect Storm" (aka No-Name Storm) in 1991 in the North Atlantic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Perfect_Storm

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The S/V Satori was a Westsail 32 involved in "The Perfect Storm" (aka No-Name Storm) in 1991 in the North Atlantic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Perfect_Storm

Interesting, thanks
Old 18-01-2017, 13:41   #24

Quote:
Sorry SMJ seems I can't read...let's see you said Atlantic and I came back with the same type of boat in the Queens Birthday storm, brain is really working well today
Old 18-01-2017, 13:54   #25
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Sorry SMJ seems I can't read...let's see you said Atlantic and I came back with the same type of boat in the Queens Birthday storm, brain is really working well today

No worries, I sometimes scan over a post and don't get the full meaning. I blame it on old......er age!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:46   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
As it happens, Sophia was not a Westsail 32, but a timber Atkins design that looked a bit like a Westsaill. We knew the boat and her owner Keith Levy (sp?) fairly well. In fact, we took him out for his first ever sail on the boat, out of Westhaven marina in Auckland. Little did we know what we had started!

Jim
Old 18-01-2017, 17:26   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm wondering what caused Be Good Too to turn turtle after so long right side up? It might have been a "survival platform" for quite a while.

Ann
Old 18-01-2017, 17:54   #28

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I'm wondering what caused Be Good Too to turn turtle after so long right side up? It might have been a "survival platform" for quite a while.

Ann
Could be anything. Hurricane, rogue wave, flooded hull, it wanted to prove a point that they don't sink, Unfortunately we'll never know.
Old 18-01-2017, 18:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As it happens, Sophia was not a Westsail 32, but a timber Atkins design that looked a bit like a Westsaill. We knew the boat and her owner Keith Levy (sp?) fairly well. In fact, we took him out for his first ever sail on the boat, out of Westhaven marina in Auckland. Little did we know what we had started!

Jim
Double boo boo today, well got the length right and the name, thanks for the correction.
Old 18-01-2017, 18:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Could be anything. Hurricane, rogue wave, flooded hull, it wanted to prove a point that they don't sink, Unfortunately we'll never know.
It's too bad the largest manufacturer of Cats doesn't ensure that they do have water tight bulkheads because as you say, with them they would not sink.

Tags
catamaran