Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 18:21   #76

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: 85-Foot Motor Yacht Sinks at Launch

Why did YachtVids not want to show the launch vehicle and the boat as it entered the water? I wonder what we would have seen in that sequence as the stern of Boden entered the water?

Okay, new speculation: Maybe the launch
vehicle got a flat tire or 4.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 18:39   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I know I'm going out on a limb here but when a $10M yacht is going down a ramp and it lists only 5 degrees, wouldn't you want to pull it back up and see whats up?
Last time I hauled in California, the idiot had my boat in the straps listing 10 degrees. I made him stop and correct. He said to me..."Oh don't worry, I do this all the time". My reply..."Humor me and correct it".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 21:15   #78

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I know I'm going out on a limb here but when a $10M yacht is going down a ramp and it lists only 5 degrees, wouldn't you want to pull it back up and see whats up?
Last time I hauled in California, the idiot had my boat in the straps listing 10 degrees. I made him stop and correct. He said to me..."Oh don't worry, I do this all the time". My reply..."Humor me and correct it".
Call the launch off until another day. I would have stopped sooner with the low tires. But then I would have suggested a crane and sling for a boat I knew wasn't completed yet.

Oh and this one was listing more than 5 degrees. Oh but then what does it matter if you're going to close the doors anyway? What is one more debtor?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 21:21   #79

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I meant by the time it started listing...STOP! Pull it back up. In Kona,Hi., there was a boat mover who use to dive on all his jobs, putting them in and out of the water.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 21:29   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I meant by the time it started listing...STOP! Pull it back up. In Kona,Hi., there was a boat mover who use to dive on all his jobs, putting them in and out of the water.
I agree....when in doubt, don't. First sign of a problem, you stop. Well, unless you have some other reason you feel you just must do it right then regardless of the risk. So many things in the launching though that were missing versus what you'd expect.
Old 23-05-2014, 08:57   #81
Marine Service Provider

You might find this interesting and telling of the owner influence, especially due to the size and costs of this yacht.

Boat Name: Blood Baron, hailing port unknown.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Glad to see someone comment on the impropriety of him disclosing that report. As to ego, should have read his blog yesterday when he was claiming unlimited captain. Apparently someone encouraged him to remove his credentials. Could it possibly be there were exaggerated?

Ultimately I see him mostly as irrelevant though. He wasn't a naval architect and my understanding that the only one involved was internal to the builder. Ultimately the boat rolled and sunk and whether fault of the boat or dollies it was within the responsibility of the builder. If Northern was taking build, design and architectural instructions from this captain, then that wasn't defensible and I doubt they were in fact of the captain's bravado. But he lost me when he disclosed that document. Now, had he disclosed it in private as part of the negotiation and under order to do so, that's different.

This is a case of one or more huge mistakes on the part of a builder, a builder struggling to remain alive. Now the closing can't reasonably be blamed on some catastrophic accident out of their control. First it was in their control. Second were they not insured? Less than one day and they announce that's it? That shows a problem far beyond this incident. But consistent with Northern's history of the last several years.

Part of what I find most amazing too was the boat was tilted more than normal. They noticed and stopped. Then they continued? Why so desperate to launch at that moment?

I feel deeply for the employees and for the boat buyers who are now sitting with millions paid and no boat to show for it. I believe four boats in that situation.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 09:26   #82
Marine Service Provider

In the video as the stern moves back, you can see what appears to be air pushing water. As the boat was moving so slowly, it couldn't be anything else.

Also, I have a first hand report, that one of the stabilizers struck bottom. Which caused the initial instability. This makes sense. Look how far forward the stabilizers are, they are in very shallow water, which is then exacerbated, as the stern starts to float.

Next up they powered the engines trying to move it into deeper water, and the prop thrust torqued the hull further in the direction of the instability.

Lloyd

Quote:
Well, it did sink as far as it could and did take on water. Just shallow there and, of course, the sinking was after the roll. One question is did it have water ingress before the roll. The door to the engine room was open. You have one side lower than the other, then add water to the lower side and that sure messes the ballast up even more. But these are all things that we'll have to wait for the answers on.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 09:37   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Unfortunately I don't think the Owner has any choice but to salvage his probably 87‰ paid for boat.
Company is now going under administrative control. Supply Creditors are now clambering to make sure they have been paid.

If Stage Payments are for specific milestones (like main machinery installed) then Owner now owns that portion.

Second or Third stage payment would have been at keel laying and hull # registered on behalf of Owner.

Contract should have Builder Force Majure conditions that protect Owner from situations just like this.

So hull # rights revert to Owner

Best thing now would be for Owner to hire some key employees from Yard to salvage and finish yacht in water.

I don't buy that design is fatally flawed. Just that Yard took ridiculous risks to launch on the cheap.

Hopefully Insurance/Escrow will cover about 70% of completion costs
I'm not even sure the "owner" owns the machinery etc. There may be liens on the engines. Does it work like contracting on land? You need to get material releases prior to making payment.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 09:40   #84
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post

Also, I have a first hand report, that one of the stabilizers struck bottom. Which caused the initial instability. This makes sense. Look how far forward the stabilizers are, they are in very shallow water, which is then exacerbated, as the stern starts to float.

Next up they powered the engines trying to move it into deeper water, and the prop thrust torqued the hull further in the direction of the instability.

Lloyd
Certainly looks that way
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 10:14   #85

I agree that there's lots of opportunity for arm chair quarterbacking here.

But I expect Nordhavn wishes they had done some things differently when a new Nordhavn 56 motorsailer was dropped on ship unloading (sure, it was certainly the ship crane operator's fault but one wonders what Nordhavn's staff was doing at the time?)

Vessel Assist Salvages Launch-Accident Nordhavn 56 Motorsailer | OceanLines

One obvious difference was after the accident - Nordhavn was financially stable
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 10:44   #86

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Simple answer: that "Thing" was so fugly King Neptune took one look at it and did it in!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 10:51   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

Actually a difference before and after. Nordhavn was stable. Northern insolvent.

Oh and another. To my knowledge Nordhavn didn't already have a large number of lawsuits pending against them in Superior Court as Northern does.
Old 23-05-2014, 11:50   #88
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I agree that there's lots of opportunity for arm chair quarterbacking here.

But I expect Nordhavn wishes they had done some things differently when a new Nordhavn 56 motorsailer was dropped on ship unloading (sure, it was certainly the ship crane operator's fault but one wonders what Nordhavn's staff was doing at the time?)

Vessel Assist Salvages Launch-Accident Nordhavn 56 Motorsailer | OceanLines

Not only was that years ago.... 2009, but on a small boat, insignificant to Nordavns main production line... Nordhavns flagship is now 120 feet long, with a bevvy of other boats larger than 56.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 14:33   #89

The boat has now been moved successfully by barge and crane (held by a sling as will not remain stable in it's current state) to the barge dock just north of Anacortes Marina and has been hoisted out of the water to land.
Old 24-05-2014, 14:48   #90

Quote:
The boat has now been moved successfully by barge and crane (held by a sling as will not remain stable in it's current state) to the barge dock just north of Anacortes Marina and has been hoisted out of the water to land.
When you say it will not remain stable, I'm assuming that's because it requires a great deal of ballast that hasn't been installed yet?

I wonder why they would launch the boat if it didn't have enough ballast to even sit upright on it's own?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, yacht