Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2017, 16:33   #61

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: 2017 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

And all this angst about the supers... kinda odd for me to be so involved, because I don't believe that they should be racing with their powered hydraulics. I'm conflicted, because these boats are marvels of engineering and design talent... but I wish that talent was told to stop with the engines!
Yeah, I see it differently
I see them as an abomination of strap-ons trying to remedy inherant design flaws.

The true marvels of engineering and design talent are vessels that can do the same speeds with minimul fuss, dollars and crew.
Quote:
. In February 2013, the radical multihull set a new record of 29 hours 52 minutes and 23 seconds for sailing the famous stretch of water between Sydney and Hobart. This passage record has now been ratified by the World Sailing Speed Record Council. Over the 630 nautical miles, Team Australia averaged 22 knots and reached a top speed of 39.6 knots

Team Australia teamaus.net.au
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 17:02   #62

Boat: Riva 48

My humble view is that the 1 hr penalty was fair and WO should have done the 720. However, it was a small infringement relative to the magnitude of the race (it is an ocean race not a beer can race). Given that Sydney Hobart happens infrequently and the weather forecast was exceptional, it is unlikely that similar conditions will exist in the next few years. Thus the Comanche "fake" record will likely stand for a number of years (I know this was said last year as well) and to me it will always be tainted as the real record belongs to WO. Hence, it would have been totally cool, even if wishful thinking on my part for the Comanche skipper not to fly the flag.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 19:09   #63

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
My humble view is that the 1 hr penalty was fair and WO should have done the 720. However, it was a small infringement relative to the magnitude of the race (it is an ocean race not a beer can race). Given that Sydney Hobart happens infrequently and the weather forecast was exceptional, it is unlikely that similar conditions will exist in the next few years. Thus the Comanche "fake" record will likely stand for a number of years (I know this was said last year as well) and to me it will always be tainted as the real record belongs to WO. Hence, it would have been totally cool, even if wishful thinking on my part for the Comanche skipper not to fly the flag.

Lots of folks here seem focused on the competition between the maxis for line honors, but have apparently forgotten that this is a handicapped race and the real competition for all but a few is to win on corrected time, not line honors. How “cool” would it seem if Comanche let the foul pass without protest and that cost another sailboat the overall (not line honors) win? I don’t think “gaming” when to protest and when not to is a good idea. Too many unintended consequences that may affect innocent 3rd parties. If you’re pretty sure you get fouled, file a protest, and if you commit a foul, do your turns and move on. It’s simple and has worked
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 20:16   #64

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yeah, I see it differently
I see them as an abomination of strap-ons trying to remedy inherant design flaws.

The true marvels of engineering and design talent are vessels that can do the same speeds with minimul fuss, dollars and crew.
I agree, bit of a joke really. The new record set by 100ft boats is about 10% slower than the 60ft Team Australia's record. There are now 2 ORMA 60's and a MOD 70 in that part of the world. Going to see some records fall when they all get together in the coming year without resorting to motorsailing.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 20:27   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
(it is an ocean race not a beer can race).
Same basic rules apply to all races.
Quote:
Given that Sydney Hobart happens infrequently
every year
Quote:
and the weather forecast was exceptional, it is unlikely that similar conditions will exist in the next few years.
True
Quote:
Thus the Comanche "fake" record will likely stand for a number of years (I know this was said last year as well) and to me it will always be tainted as the real record belongs to WO
. No the real record belongs to Team Australia. The Race Record to Comanche,
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 21:13   #66

Boat: Valiant 40
2017 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

The skippers know the RRS plenty well enough to know the rules in situations like this, which is exceedingly common.

That said, knowing exactly what has transpired on both boats in these situations can be very difficult in the heat of the moment. People are yelling, distances can be hard to judge, and whether an opposing boat has dipped, headed up, depowered etc is not always clear. It’s often hard enough on 40’ boats. It can’t be anything but worse on 100 footers.

I suspect that there was a quick analysis on WO after the incident and the conclusion reached was that there had been no foul, regardless of whether their maneuver was intentional or not.

If you know you’ve committed a foul you take your penalty then and there as the alternative is almost always worse.
Old 31-12-2017, 03:03   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In general I quite agree with this, and think that I have expressed that in posts above. Yet, I will always know that on the day, WO did it faster.

And all this angst about the supers... kinda odd for me to be so involved, because I don't believe that they should be racing with their powered hydraulics. I'm conflicted, because these boats are marvels of engineering and design talent... but I wish that talent was told to stop with the engines!

In truth, the big maxi multihull vessels are more interesting technically, and the feats of their sailors far more inspiring than these ego stroking money pits.

Jim
Comanche CAN be sailed in "manual" mode, which is why she has been able to claim some ( monohull) sailing records. Certainly they were using grinders to operate the winches in the race, although I assume the keel canting was engine driven.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race, sydney, yacht